5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well got mine replaced yesterday by safelite. I ended up with two light scratches and some wind noise. I need to setup another appointment to get the wind noise to stop. Going to leave the scratches alone for now as I don't wan to repaint. :|

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well color me educated...I have, or had, acoustic glass it seems. I wonder if the aftermarket windshield that Safelite installed is acoustic...I'll go look to see if it's labeled as such.

But now I wonder...is there a correlation between acoustic glass and the seemingly higher number of cracks, etc?? Is it more brittle than non-acoustic? I'm curious, but not THAT curious...

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well color me educated...I have, or had, acoustic glass it seems. I wonder if the aftermarket windshield that Safelite installed is acoustic...I'll go look to see if it's labeled as such.

But now I wonder...is there a correlation between acoustic glass and the seemingly higher number of cracks, etc?? Is it more brittle than non-acoustic? I'm curious, but not THAT curious...
At least my last 4 cars have had acoustic glass windshields, I haven't noticed such a thing. Hell, only one of them cracked at all (after a rock the size of a marble slammed into it). No issues with my current truck so far.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of our engineers at work who owns a 2019 5th Gen stated it is the angle of the windshield on the 5th Gen that makes it more prone to chips/cracks. He said instead of debris glancing off the windshield like previous Gens, it is more of a direct hit because the 5th Gen has a more vertical windshield. He also added the glass and structure of the glass is the same between Gens but it is the angle that is different.

I’m not saying that is a fact as it would take someone a lot smarter than me to verify his theory. It does make me miss the old Mythbusters television show as it might have been an interesting episode to determine if plausible. Then again, I’m certain FCA/Stellantis would activate their army of attorneys to keep that episode from airing - if it is plausible.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One of our engineers at work who owns a 2019 5th Gen stated it is the angle of the windshield on the 5th Gen that makes it more prone to chips/cracks. He said instead of debris glancing off the windshield like previous Gens, it is more of a direct hit because the 5th Gen has a more vertical windshield. He also added the glass and structure of the glass is the same between Gens but it is the angle that is different.

I’m not saying that is a fact as it would take someone a lot smarter than me to verify his theory. It does make me miss the old Mythbusters television show as it might have been an interesting episode to determine if plausible. Then again, I’m certain FCA/Stellantis would activate their army of attorneys to keep that episode from airing - if it is plausible.
I agree with him. We also have issues with the angle when using comma.ai for self driving.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thats what I've read and been told as well, the angle I mean. My Z06 has taken some hard hits that sounded like gun shots but no damage because of the windshield angle and Z06 windshields are non standard lightened glass.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
Well got mine replaced yesterday by safelite. I ended up with two light scratches and some wind noise. I need to setup another appointment to get the wind noise to stop. Going to leave the scratches alone for now as I don't wan to repaint. :|
I had mine replaced with a factory windshield last month. Just under $900. The new one cracked within 2 weeks as well when a tiny rock hit. It. I am going to try the aftermarket non-factory for half the price at some point. Worse windshields I have ever had.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had mine replaced last week from safelite with whatever aftermarket brand they could get the quickest. I talked to my insurance company and they assured me that if there’s ever an issue, I can have it replaced with OEM. I could have fought them to have OEM glass installed the first time, but I don’t see a point in doing so. So far, so good with the aftermarket glass.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I had mine replaced last week from safelite with whatever aftermarket brand they could get the quickest. I talked to my insurance company and they assured me that if there’s ever an issue, I can have it replaced with OEM. I could have fought them to have OEM glass installed the first time, but I don’t see a point in doing so. So far, so good with the aftermarket glass.
Was it acoustic glass? I think that would be the main thing to look for.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps???? If you read the markings on the OEM glass for the windshield and front windows, you'll see "ACOUSTIC". Isolates the interior from noise better.
To add onto this, there could also be an “A”, “SOUNDSCREEN”, or symbol of an ear with an arrow passing by it. That all depends on the manufacturer of the glass.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps???? If you read the markings on the OEM glass for the windshield and front windows, you'll see "ACOUSTIC". Isolates the interior from noise better.
My truck is quiet as a mouse. I have a road chip that I am putting off fixing because I am concerned that once I replace the windshield the truck will not be as quiet...and I will have to pay to get the new one tinted. The repair itself would be fully covered under my lease agreement but still on the fence.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck is quiet as a mouse. I have a road chip that I am putting off fixing because I am concerned that once I replace the windshield the truck will not be as quiet...and I will have to pay to get the new one tinted. The repair itself would be fully covered under my lease agreement but still on the fence.
That certainly happened to me. New oem windshield and now there’s a whistle at highway speeds. I’m worn out on fighting with safelite, so I’ll revisit later since they have a lifetime warranty on their work.

cemem

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone!! Got me thinking. I'm supposed to hear from Safelite today so I will see what they say about leadtimes and decide from there.

We don't know for sure what the "Unidentified Flying Object" was. We were following a dumpster hauler, so we are reasonably sure it came from that truck. Despite having my 1080p dash cam rolling, we still could not see the object coming at us. NC State Trooper advised that if we could see the object come from the truck then we could pursue them, but otherwise it's just considered a no-fault road hazard (not his specific words, I'm paraphrasing). Tell you this though, the noise it made was LOUD, it shattered inside and outside, and covered my 81yo father with glass shards. Thank goodness he was wearing sunglasses and only ended up with one very minor cut for harley fat boy windshield. There is no actual hole...the plastic layer did it's job well. That is one thing that makes me want to wait for OEM...
Hello. Anyone have any idea of the time frame for a new heated windshield? Dealer said they don't even have a part number for them.

Users who are viewing this thread