5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I got two quotes today for windshield replacement both @490.00. That's for aftermarket glass, as the Ram windshield is backordered. I don't have rain sensing wipers so I can get away with non oem.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Make sure the replacement windshield is made of acoustic glass. The OEM glass is acoustic and cuts down on noise. It's marked as such below the RAM logo.

piper618

Reaction score
Well my 2021 Rebel only had 1,200 miles and a pickup in front of me let loose with stone from the rear bumper and this happened. Got the information off the side of the truck with company info and their insurance refused to pay.
The stone chip was sealed by Safelite as I was hoping not to replace the windshield.
The bumper is toast as the body shop tried to get Powder Coat matched with OEM so will replace bumper with new black powder coat bumper. I also don't want to repaint the hood either, and since its not metal the chips wouldn't rust, I am giving Dr. ColorChip a try first. The headlights are screwed as well so looks like replacing them as well.
Funny thing is I was looking to have PPF and ceramic coating installed and then this. As soon as I rectify this I am installing PPF with self healing.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2127_LI.jpg
    IMG_2127_LI.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well my 2021 Rebel only had 1,200 miles and a pickup in front of me let loose with stone from the rear bumper and this happened. Got the information off the side of the truck with company info and their insurance refused to pay.
The stone chip was sealed by Safelite as I was hoping not to replace the windshield.
The bumper is toast as the body shop tried to get Powder Coat matched with OEM so will replace bumper with new black powder coat bumper. I also don't want to repaint the hood either, and since its not metal the chips wouldn't rust, I am giving Dr. ColorChip a try first. The headlights are screwed as well so looks like replacing them as well.
Funny thing is I was looking to have PPF and ceramic coating installed and then this. As soon as I rectify this I am installing PPF with self healing.

I'd get your insurance involved, have them go after the other guys' insurance. Depending on whom you have for insurance, some are better at that than others.

This is also another reason why I have a dashcam installed, irrefutable evidence (most of the time) as to who is at fault, whether it be accidents or things like this.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd get your insurance involved, have them go after the other guys' insurance. Depending on whom you have for insurance, some are better at that than others.

This is also another reason why I have a dashcam installed, irrefutable evidence (most of the time) as to who is at fault, whether it be accidents or things like this.
Idk if it's the same in every state, but I tried to go after the trucking company for the rock that hit my windshield. I have a dashcam. Didn't matter. Found out as soon as that rock hits the ground it's no longer their responsibility. It's considered a 'road hazard' at that point. And 99% of the time the rock damage is caused after it bounces off the ground first so they get to avoid liability. Fun. Of course Piper has a lot more damage than I did, so maybe the insurance company would be more willing to flex its muscle and recover their money.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Idk if it's the same in every state, but I tried to go after the trucking company for the rock that hit my windshield. I have a dashcam. Didn't matter. Found out as soon as that rock hits the ground it's no longer their responsibility. It's considered a 'road hazard' at that point. And 99% of the time the rock damage is caused after it bounces off the ground first so they get to avoid liability. Fun. Of course Piper has a lot more damage than I did, so maybe the insurance company would be more willing to flex its muscle and recover their money.

Is that what their insurance/their lawyer/they told you, or what an independent lawyer or expert told you? That doesn't make much sense to me, but many laws do not I guess.

If the guy had kicked up a rock from under his tire, thats a different story. That debris/rock/whatever was already there, he just happened to hit it, and you just happened to be the poor sap behind him. But thats not what happened here.

If I'm driving down the road with propane tanks, one rolls out of the back, hits the ground, and someone hits it and it explodes... is that just a road hazard? I know its an extreme example, but its the same logic. Someone's carelessness caused an object that wasn't there before to be there, and not only be there, but cause damage.

There is a thread here somewhere on the forum where a guy's new truck get peppered with shattered glass on the highway because a glass company didn't secure a large pane of glass to the side of their van properly, and it fell off in front of him. I believe their insurance took care of his repairs.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So this happened yesterday on our drive from Columbus OH to Hilton Head, SC. So the glass company says they would normally use OEM glass, even stated there would be a RAM logo like the stock unit. BUT, there is a nationwide backorder (big surprise), and would I accept an aftermarket brand. Concern is that this truck has a bunch of electronic crap (sensors, etc) on the windshield.

Anyone been faced with replacement yet? Or, anyone know anything about this industry? Any advice would be appreciated

BTW...its a 2019 1500 DT Laramie.
Demand OEM. Ask me how I know…

Post in thread 'Broken windshield'
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/broken-windshield.27133/post-401268

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that what their insurance/their lawyer/they told you, or what an independent lawyer or expert told you? That doesn't make much sense to me, but many laws do not I guess.

If the guy had kicked up a rock from under his tire, thats a different story. That debris/rock/whatever was already there, he just happened to hit it, and you just happened to be the poor sap behind him. But thats not what happened here.

If I'm driving down the road with propane tanks, one rolls out of the back, hits the ground, and someone hits it and it explodes... is that just a road hazard? I know its an extreme example, but its the same logic. Someone's carelessness caused an object that wasn't there before to be there, and not only be there, but cause damage.

There is a thread here somewhere on the forum where a guy's new truck get peppered with shattered glass on the highway because a glass company didn't secure a large pane of glass to the side of their van properly, and it fell off in front of him. I believe their insurance took care of his repairs.
A rock is common to roadways and who's to say that rock wasn't kicked up by the vehicle ahead of the the vehicle you *think* deposited it on the road and then onto your vehicle? A propane tank is clearly not common to a roadway, and is easily traceable to a truck hauling other propane tanks. Shattered glass is clearly from the glass truck. My point it will always be VERY difficult to prove that common roadway debris came from a specific vehicle without direct video evidence, and from personal experience I can tell you that you better have a FAST cameral (frames per second) because my 1080p dashcam could not show me the rock (presumably) that hit my windshield. Viewed on slow, on a big, high-res screen...couldn't see the rock at all.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
FWIW - Safelite installed their aftermarket windshield on mine because OEM was backordered, and I have no complaints whatsoever. In your case, it sounds more like installer error vs the OEM.
It wasn't installer error. It was a crappy quality windshield.
Assuming they use various sources so YMMV.

On mine, even the rain sensing wipers would not work in addition to the stadia lines not being accurate and messing with the calibration equipment.

Cheers,

bpwj76

Reaction score
I'm supposed to have my windshield replaced 7/2/21 by Safelite. I used their website to setup the appointment and they had the disclaimer about the OEM glass being back-ordered. I clicked that I am not interested in aftermarket glass. I have not heard from anyone yet about my appointment being rescheduled due to back-ordered glass. Of course it's still a week and a half away.

I made the mistake of going non-OEM on my wife's BMW a year ago. Now the head-up display is kinda blurry. I will wait for OEM for the RAM if I have to.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have my windshield replaced 7/2/21 by Safelite. I used their website to setup the appointment and they had the disclaimer about the OEM glass being back-ordered. I clicked that I am not interested in aftermarket glass. I have not heard from anyone yet about my appointment being rescheduled due to back-ordered glass. Of course it's still a week and a half away.

I made the mistake of going non-OEM on my wife's BMW a year ago. Now the head-up display is kinda blurry. I will wait for OEM for the RAM if I have to.
Good choice. I would also wait. You may get a decent one or you may not going generic. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would always go OEM on windshield glass but that is based on poor quality aftermarket windshields over 20 years ago so maybe they've improved - in the ned for an insurance claim I will always insist on OEM. Regarding the cost I am surprised to hear folks are driving new trucks with deductibles on glass - I have always carried full glass with no deductible on personal vehicles and we do the same on work trucks, the cost for no deductible full glass in usually negligible and almost always pays for itself. I call the second I see any chip for immediate repair or replacement as the glass is a structural component for crash safety and obviously important for visibility and proper sensor function.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would always go OEM on windshield glass but that is based on poor quality aftermarket windshields over 20 years ago so maybe they've improved - in the ned for an insurance claim I will always insist on OEM. Regarding the cost I am surprised to hear folks are driving new trucks with deductibles on glass - I have always carried full glass with no deductible on personal vehicles and we do the same on work trucks, the cost for no deductible full glass in usually negligible and almost always pays for itself. I call the second I see any chip for immediate repair or replacement as the glass is a structural component for crash safety and obviously important for visibility and proper sensor function.
In Texas there is no requirement for insurers to offer glass coverage, so most don't. Personally I have never even seen the option for glass specific coverage on a TX policy (I'm sure they exist, but not with USAA, Liberty Mutual, and Geico), so it just gets rolled into comprehensive coverage...which has a deductible.

Ramjack

Reaction score
In Texas there is no requirement for insurers to offer glass coverage, so most don't. Personally I have never even seen the option for glass specific coverage on a TX policy (I'm sure they exist, but not with USAA, Liberty Mutual, and Geico), so it just gets rolled into comprehensive coverage...which has a deductible.
Yes, I found this out when I moved from Florida (where I never had windshield damage in 15 years of driving) to Texas (where I had damage in the first two months) and it was not covered by insurance.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had mine replaced with an aftermarket one because I added the camera and radar for ACC, etc. The windshield I got is perfect.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have zero glass deductible coverage through Progressive, but you have to add it to the policy since it's an option. Def worth having at $1300+ per Windshield.
They covered mine 100%.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have zero glass deductible coverage through Progressive, but you have to add it to the policy since it's an option. Def worth having at $1300+ per Windshield.
They covered mine 100%.
Good to know...I may check them out when it comes time to renew.

Users who are viewing this thread