5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So this happened yesterday on our drive from Columbus OH to Hilton Head, SC. So the glass company says they would normally use OEM glass, even stated there would be a RAM logo like the stock unit. BUT, there is a nationwide backorder (big surprise), and would I accept an aftermarket brand. Concern is that this truck has a bunch of electronic crap (sensors, etc) on the windshield.

Anyone been faced with replacement yet? Or, anyone know anything about this industry? Any advice would be appreciated

BTW...its a 2019 1500 DT Laramie.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just had mine replaced with non - OEM. Looks great.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
Because I'm out of town I'm thinking I'd rather have a nationwide company, Safelite in this case, do the job in case I run into any issues. Did you use a local company or a national?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Aftermarket usually has all the same mounts. It’s interesting because when I had mine replaced in April they weren’t able to get an aftermarket so had to use oem. I had to wait like 6 weeks for it to come in

cochise111

Reaction score
So this happened yesterday on our drive from Columbus OH to Hilton Head, SC. So the glass company says they would normally use OEM glass, even stated there would be a RAM logo like the stock unit. BUT, there is a nationwide backorder (big surprise), and would I accept an aftermarket brand. Concern is that this truck has a bunch of electronic crap (sensors, etc) on the windshield.

Anyone been faced with replacement yet? Or, anyone know anything about this industry? Any advice would be appreciated

Rock hit the bottom of my windshield. I didn't notice it at first, but now it's spreading. Went to Safelite, and they said they had to order through the dealer. They said that their supplier doesn't offer the windshield yet. Going to take a week to ten days to get the windshield. The crack is at the bottom and not in my line of sight.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If it’s stable, I’d try to wait it out for OEM replacement.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, with it being on the passenger side, I would not let it slow down my vacation. Roll with it and deal with it at home with a factory glass.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got aftermarket. Other than no Ram's head, can't tell the difference. Actually, after seeing a couple posts about some people having multiple OEM windshields replaced, I wanted an aftermarket hoping it might be less prone to cracking. At the very least I can buy 2 aftermarket for the price of 1 OEM. I have a fairly basic Big Horn though, so I don't have the radar cruise, rain sense wipers, or auto high beam sensors.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'd agree with the last post for a Bighorn. You did say you had a lot of electronic junk though. That stuff is just prone to malfunctions to start with.

What hit your windshield anyway? That is one heck of a divit, not the typical rock chip. I would be glad it hit my glass that can just be replaced and not my sheet metal that would need paint. Heck if that was my last truck (Nissan) it would have come close to totaling it. That thing would dent if you looked at it wrong.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm waiting on an OEM windshield, had a safelite appointment may 6 but they called and said "national backorder" and rescheduled it.
They offered me an aftermarket and it could be done that day, I'm waiting on oem

U

User_3336

Safelite replaced with the OEM (with the rams head) windshield. It was $632 total.

Some idiot cracked mine with a golf ball.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
If I replace the windshield I’m getting a heated windshield. Had one on my Rovers and if you live with snow part of the year, it’s SOOO nice! The windshield repair man said no problem when I asked

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Safelite replaced with the OEM (with the rams head) windshield. It was $632 total.

Some idiot cracked mine with a golf ball.
Please tell us if you had and out of pocket cost or was insurance covering the entire windshield. I have a tiny chip at the bottom of the glass. I checked with Safelight in West Houston and the total without insurance is $980.00. That is my cost. My insurance deductible is $975.00 So Tennessee is ~1/3 cheaper. If so this is incredible. I know with the Limited with all options, you must have OEM glass. Behind the rear view mirror are many features and the glass is designed for it. is your also OEM and only $632.00 installed? Thank you for this big education.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone!! Got me thinking. I'm supposed to hear from Safelite today so I will see what they say about leadtimes and decide from there.

We don't know for sure what the "Unidentified Flying Object" was. We were following a dumpster hauler, so we are reasonably sure it came from that truck. Despite having my 1080p dash cam rolling, we still could not see the object coming at us. NC State Trooper advised that if we could see the object come from the truck then we could pursue them, but otherwise it's just considered a no-fault road hazard (not his specific words, I'm paraphrasing). Tell you this though, the noise it made was LOUD, it shattered inside and outside, and covered my 81yo father with glass shards. Thank goodness he was wearing sunglasses and only ended up with one very minor cut. There is no actual hole...the plastic layer did it's job well. That is one thing that makes me want to wait for OEM...

834k3r

Reaction score
When I got my truck, the dealer (finance guy as he was trying to sell me the extended warranty) actually recommended non-OEM windshield to me--and I have a lot of the electronic add-ons to the windshield.

#YMMV

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Please tell us if you had and out of pocket cost or was insurance covering the entire windshield. I have a tiny chip at the bottom of the glass. I checked with Safelight in West Houston and the total without insurance is $980.00. That is my cost. My insurance deductible is $975.00 So Tennessee is ~1/3 cheaper. If so this is incredible. I know with the Limited with all options, you must have OEM glass. Behind the rear view mirror are many features and the glass is designed for it. is your also OEM and only $632.00 installed? Thank you for this big education.
Safelite charged the windshield warranty I have $1200 for a replacement just two months ago here in Houston lol.

BowDown

Reaction score

I'm getting oem and have Limited Level 1 features, Safelite without insurance is $1532. I had a $500 deductible but changed it to zero on glass for $13 a month

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I'm getting oem and have Limited Level 1 features, Safelite without insurance is $1532. I had a $500 deductible but changed it to zero on glass for $13 a month
I wondering, if Safelite "are" independently owned it may be wise to shop around. The repair "$" are all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread