5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have zero glass deductible coverage through Progressive, but you have to add it to the policy since it's an option. Def worth having at $1300+ per Windshield.
They covered mine 100%.
I agree, Glass coverage is few and far. I did have it 4 years ago with Amica Insurance House and cars, I was with them for years. I sold a Jag convert and the algorithms caused my policy to jump sky high on the auto portion. Si=o I went to the Hartford AARP and every year I get a invitation with a code for new rates. I just received that code last week and put it in my desk. My policy will be up in August and you all have given me the incentive to make that call and see If I can save.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In Texas there is no requirement for insurers to offer glass coverage, so most don't. Personally I have never even seen the option for glass specific coverage on a TX policy (I'm sure they exist, but not with USAA, Liberty Mutual, and Geico), so it just gets rolled into comprehensive coverage...which has a deductible.
Always interesting to learn about the intricacies of each states laws around stuff like insurance. My MN policy through USAA includes full no deductible glass repair/replace as part of my comprehensive/collision coverage package - the comp and coll have $500 deductible but glass has zero.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have my windshield replaced 7/2/21 by Safelite. I used their website to setup the appointment and they had the disclaimer about the OEM glass being back-ordered. I clicked that I am not interested in aftermarket glass. I have not heard from anyone yet about my appointment being rescheduled due to back-ordered glass. Of course it's still a week and a half away.

I made the mistake of going non-OEM on my wife's BMW a year ago. Now the head-up display is kinda blurry. I will wait for OEM for the RAM if I have to.

You'll get a voicemail letting you know your appointment has been cancelled due to the windshield being on Nat BO.
I got a call in May then in June and will get another next week, spoke with safelite today and aftermarket isn't even an option of Limited trucks now or trucks with FCW, Rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, they are only using OEM in those applications, their words today

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You'll get a voicemail letting you know your appointment has been cancelled due to the windshield being on Nat BO.
I got a call in May then in June and will get another next week, spoke with safelite today and aftermarket isn't even an option of Limited trucks now or trucks with FCW, Rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, they are only using OEM in those applications, their words today
Good to know. This would apply to Limiteds and Longhorns, of course, but (I presume) also to heavily-optioned Laramies.

BowDown

Reaction score
Good to know. This would apply to Limiteds and Longhorns, of course, but (I presume) also to heavily-optioned Laramies.

You are correct, I asked about aftermarket glass today, wasn't going to get it but wanted to see if it was available. I called a couple hours ago and safelite is damn near impossible to get on the phone and speak to a person, was on hold over an hour after I figured out that following the prompts for what you really want end up with a message telling you to go to safelite.com and the system hanging up on you.

The guy said they will not use aftermarket on trucks with those features; my guess is a lawyer got involved and there was some exposure someplace if those systems failed due to non-factory glass or there was an incident and they were sued.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know what to expect.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Not a windshield but I had to replace front passenger window. OEM was tough to source because the truck was so new. I waited. OEM was more than 2x the cost but who cares, my deductible was the same regardless. Insurance even took care of re-tinting the window for me. 👌

Reverse

Reaction score
Had my windshield replaced abt. 6 months ago. This was for a limited with all the bells and whistles. Total bill was $1100. This was for windshield, labor, and then the calibration of the various sensors on the windshield. I believe the calibration alone was $250. Involved driving the truck with a sort of scan tool attached.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Always interesting to learn about the intricacies of each states laws around stuff like insurance. My MN policy through USAA includes full no deductible glass repair/replace as part of my comprehensive/collision coverage package - the comp and coll have $500 deductible but glass has zero.
Just an aside: I always read great things about USAA and Amica. But their prems are 2-3x what I pay for State Farm (yes, really). I must not know the secret handshake.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an aside: I always read great things about USAA and Amica. But their prems are 2-3x what I pay for State Farm (yes, really). I must not know the secret handshake.
For me USAA is slightly higher on auto but when bundled with home they beat everyone else last time I looked. Always easy to deal with on claims and you can do everything online. Auto is $500/6 months with full collision/comp $500 deductible, full glass no deductible and rental car coverage and roadside free. In addition I will now get 15% off for using their 'co-pilot' driving app.

Ramjack

Reaction score
For me USAA is slightly higher on auto but when bundled with home they beat everyone else last time I looked. Always easy to deal with on claims and you can do everything online. Auto is $500/6 months with full collision/comp $500 deductible, full glass no deductible and rental car coverage and roadside free. In addition I will now get 15% off for using their 'co-pilot' driving app.
Thanks. I'll check again. Last time I checked, homeowners was also nearly 3x as much with USAA. I've been with State Farm for 30 years, but I can't imagine they are giving me special premiums because of that.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check again. Last time I checked, homeowners was also nearly 3x as much with USAA. I've been with State Farm for 30 years, but I can't imagine they are giving me special premiums because of that.
They can be high on homeowners because they tend to over-insure, especially on older homes because they insure for full rebuild costs like lath and plaster and leaded glass. You can adjust the coverage amounts and finish typesetc to lower it to appropriate levels. I will say it might be one of the issue with bit having an agent - if you setup your house characteristics wrong they don't always catch it - as an example I was counting all the sq ft in my split level until someone else pointed it out that for insurance rates below grade finished areas shouldn't be counted in finished Sq ft - made the change and saved almost $1,000/year.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
My Laramie has two sensors, got a PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works) aftermarket windshield installed today. Looks oem, stamped with the "acoustic" tag, and part number said sensor compatible. 549 installed, all out of pocket. We'll see how it works.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're not alone. For car insurance they are more than double what I currently pay with Liberty Mutual. They recently called me and said they have reformulated how they calculate rates and I should see a "significant' discount. It was even more expensive than the last time I quoted through them :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct, I asked about aftermarket glass today, wasn't going to get it but wanted to see if it was available. I called a couple hours ago and safelite is damn near impossible to get on the phone and speak to a person, was on hold over an hour after I figured out that following the prompts for what you really want end up with a message telling you to go to safelite.com and the system hanging up on you.

The guy said they will not use aftermarket on trucks with those features; my guess is a lawyer got involved and there was some exposure someplace if those systems failed due to non-factory glass or there was an incident and they were sued.
Interesting. Safelite installed aftermarket on my Laramie that has FCW, Adaptive, Rainsense, Lane Keep, etc. They did the full calibration, etc. I saw the two windshields side by side and they looked identical, minus the RAM logo. I've been running it since mid-May with no issues whatsoever. I'm very satisified overall, so far, which is good because I did not have the option to wait for OEM due to the extent of the damage.

Hope you all get similar results.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am getting the windshield replaced on the 2020 Lone Star at this very moment. They’re in the drive way replacing it for $452 including tax. One dealer wanted $1187 for one with the Ram logo and Safelite wanted $810 for generic.

The guys doing it now came highly recommended from a coworker so will let you know how it comes out. And yes, I don’t give a damned about the stupid “Easter egg” Ram logo on the bottom right is the windshield. If it adds more than $5 then it isn’t worth it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Follow up: The cost of the windshield installed was $400.52 including tax. It took him and his son exactly an hour to do it and it is perfect. I tipped him $40 because they came five hours after I called to inquire about their service, did an excellent job and it took only an hour.

I’ve attached the card for the Ram owners in the Houston area. If this isn’t permitted by the board, please let me know whereupon I’ll remove it and anyone interested can PM me for their card. I’m not affiliated with them and this was my first time using them. I derive no benefit from posting their info other than trying to helm out fellow Ram owners with these paper thin, crack prone windshields. Highly recommended!

70384379-B48D-43AD-8726-01D84919B96E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C29287A-71D9-4C66-AA64-CFC18F88A509.jpeg
    7C29287A-71D9-4C66-AA64-CFC18F88A509.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 18

BowDown

Reaction score
Interesting. Safelite installed aftermarket on my Laramie that has FCW, Adaptive, Rainsense, Lane Keep, etc. They did the full calibration, etc. I saw the two windshields side by side and they looked identical, minus the RAM logo. I've been running it since mid-May with no issues whatsoever. I'm very satisified overall, so far, which is good because I did not have the option to wait for OEM due to the extent of the damage.

Hope you all get similar results.

They called me today to inform me that my July scheduled appointment was canceled do to the windshield being on BO still. She did say they did just receive windshields compatible with my truck and that the "people in the call centers don't know what they're talking about" and that this glass would work fine in my truck. She also said that they're expecting OEM glass in mid july.

Who to believe...
I am curious if the aftermarket cracks as easily as the factory. I got hit with a rock near the lower left side, just a bullseye. After 3 hours in the sun, a crack formed and over the next few days it ran diagonally across the windshield to the top. This has me considering the safelite glass

BowDown

Reaction score
My Laramie has two sensors, got a PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works) aftermarket windshield installed today. Looks oem, stamped with the "acoustic" tag, and part number said sensor compatible. 549 installed, all out of pocket. We'll see how it works.

They called me today offering aftermarket that they claimed would be compatible, i may go that route

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They called me today offering aftermarket that they claimed would be compatible, i may go that route
I will report back if any issues with this new windshield but my coworker said he’s taken a couple of hits on this same windshield (“aftermarket”) over the past six months and no chips or cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread