5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have their windshield replaced yet? Decision!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I just called safelite and talked to them. They said it can take 6-8wks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Demand OEM. Ask me how I know…

Post in thread 'Broken windshield'
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/broken-windshield.27133/post-401268
USAA strongly recommended I utilize OEM because of the high tech options (Technology Group & Level 1 Safety Group) on my Ram as calibration could become an issue with non-OEM. I’m glad I went with OEM as Safelite not only got it in two weeks but also had the calibration equipment. It was a flawless install and worth every penny as no headaches.

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what got screwed up...you either got an incorrect, or defective windshield, or the install was bad. However, I can verify that the correct aftermarket windshield can and does work with all the sensors, etc. Everything works on mine...perfectly, and same for others. Sorry you had troubles...
Did they have to calibrate the sensors with your aftermarket windshield?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what got screwed up...you either got an incorrect, or defective windshield, or the install was bad. However, I can verify that the correct aftermarket windshield can and does work with all the sensors, etc. Everything works on mine...perfectly, and same for others. Sorry you had troubles...
Yep, no issues with mine and DASM. Everything works great. I see no difference with the OEM and my aftermarket.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll remember that next time as the cost of the OEM installed was $1500! I have $1000 deductible so I covered 100% of my share and my insurer got the rest - a rip-off for both of us.

(And before anyone says anything, that is my first claim in 18 years thus the reason for the $1000 deductible. No sense paying for a lower deductible when I never use it and have saved five times more than that in reduced premiums over the years.)

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
So I originally put in my claim for my windshield in the beginning of June. Got approved for an OEM windshield and waited about 2 months before getting one. Installer came out and noticed a crack in my new windshield so went to get another one and I didn’t think anything of it. They installed an aftermarket one. About a month ago. I didn’t get anything recalibrated and it worked but I’m not sure if that means it was working completely as it should. They just came out to replace the aftermarket with an OEM windshield yesterday and the OEM windshield definitely looks better initially. There was a haze like film look on the aftermarket that I tried to clean off that didn’t go away to me.

BowDown

Reaction score
I put in a windshield claim May 14, Safelite called me and said they finally got my OEM windshield in late Aug.

FYI, they still have to recalibrate the cameras regardless of the windshield being OEM or aftermarket. Safelite did mine and the install looks no different than OEM, they didn't break or scratch anything.
New windshield has already been re-tinted and no issues

joshua32

Reaction score
I ordered my windshield through Safelite via an insurance claim ($0 deductible) back on 6/14 and kept getting the runaround from Safelite. I've had several rescheduled appointments because the windshields are on national back order. On one occasion (when I was finally able to talk to an actual person) they told me that the order was never placed and had to place a new order, which would put me at the back of the line. My insurance recommended another glass company so I called them yesterday and they have placed a new order with the dealership with a delivery date of 10/10 so we will see (fingers crossed). They even stated they have replaced several '21 Ram 1500s in the last couple of months. Luckily my windshield is not cracked terrible but still impairs visibility some.
Update: I am still waiting on my windshield to come in. The new company I went with has kept in close contact with the dealership and 3 different windshields have been delivered for my order and they all came in damaged from the delivery. Frustrating since I have had my truck for 6 months and the windshield has been busted for 5 months. New delivery date of 12/16 so we'll see if one will finally come in without being cracked.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I wish I hadn’t had mine recalibrated after windshield replacement as it has caused me to lose all of my advanced safety features and lane keep assist and they can’t figure out why.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I am still waiting on my windshield to come in. The new company I went with has kept in close contact with the dealership and 3 different windshields have been delivered for my order and they all came in damaged from the delivery. Frustrating since I have had my truck for 6 months and the windshield has been busted for 5 months. New delivery date of 12/16 so we'll see if one will finally come in without being cracked.
Wow. three broken?? ridiculous. Hope this next one is good.
I wish I hadn’t had mine recalibrated after windshield replacement as it has caused me to lose all of my advanced safety features and lane keep assist and they can’t figure out why.
Whoa...that sucks. Who did the install? I used Safelite and an aftermarket windshield and I'm having zero issues. Sorry to hear about the trouble and I'll be curious what fixes it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I posted this in another thread yesterday but will put it over here so you can have hope the calibration can work if done properly.

I took my 2021 Ram to Safelite Rosenberg, TX yesterday to have them do a warranty replacement of my windshield as they installed a new one in early October however it had such bad wind noise due to improper installation. Well, they installed the new windshield, and it has no wind noise as noticed on the ten-mile drive home. The calibration was perfect and all safety features including HUD and lank keeping were spot on. However, on the drive home I could see flakes of red on the passenger dash and a 3" long thin strip of something with red paint on it (my Ram just happens to be Flame Red).

After exiting the truck in my driveway, I walked around to the passenger side to get a better look and could see the red paint on the dash and the black window molding with red paint on it. So, grabbed my step ladder to inspect the work and found they had a 5' scrape of paint (part of it down to the metal) on the A-pillar on the passenger side. I went to the driver side and saw there were two spots with 1/2" scrapes down to the silver metal. I called them, sent pics and they said I'd have to take it up with the manager on Monday. I also sent pics to USAA (my insurer who stated Safelite is their preferred window replacement company).

So, the calibration was perfect however the workmanship was crap. It sounds like you got just the opposite - decent workmanship on the windshield but crap on the calibration. I hope we both get our issues resolved. And for me, the moral to the story is NEVER utilize Safelite even if your insurer strongly recommends it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 47
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I got lucky with Safelite. I had to use them because I was 600 miles from home at that moment. My installer was a 30+ year veteran and was with Safelite for about 14 years. We talked a lot and the message that I got from him was...safelite does a lot of training, however they work their people to death so they leave, so they have to keep hiring/training new people all the time, and right now they are struggling like everyone else to find people, so they are working their people even harder. What sucks is they have the best equipment, tools, training, etc...but the people make the difference.

Really bummed for you guys...hope both get fixed soon.

BowDown

Reaction score
Well, I posted this in another thread yesterday but will put it over here so you can have hope the calibration can work if done properly.

I took my 2021 Ram to Safelite Rosenberg, TX yesterday to have them do a warranty replacement of my windshield as they installed a new one in early October however it had such bad wind noise due to improper installation. Well, they installed the new windshield, and it has no wind noise as noticed on the ten-mile drive home. The calibration was perfect and all safety features including HUD and lank keeping were spot on. However, on the drive home I could see flakes of red on the passenger dash and a 3" long thin strip of something with red paint on it (my Ram just happens to be Flame Red).

After exiting the truck in my driveway, I walked around to the passenger side to get a better look and could see the red paint on the dash and the black window molding with red paint on it. So, grabbed my step ladder to inspect the work and found they had a 5' scrape of paint (part of it down to the metal) on the A-pillar on the passenger side. I went to the driver side and saw there were two spots with 1/2" scrapes down to the silver metal. I called them, sent pics and they said I'd have to take it up with the manager on Monday. I also sent pics to USAA (my insurer who stated Safelite is their preferred window replacement company).

So, the calibration was perfect however the workmanship was crap. It sounds like you got just the opposite - decent workmanship on the windshield but crap on the calibration. I hope we both get our issues resolved. And for me, the moral to the story is NEVER utilize Safelite even if your insurer strongly recommends it.

I don't think this was as much a Safelite issue as it was a people issue.
Safelight did my windshield replacement and didn't damage a thing, I checked before I left the shop then stopped at a Ram dealer to look at new trucks just to compare the angles of the trim moulding at the top corners of the windshield. Everything was as the factory left it and identical to new trucks on the lot. The installer was experienced, professional, methodical and not in a rush. Ne talked to me about the window tint and another waiting customer and asked how much this one had helped as he'd seen it be hit or miss.

Every shop will have a shi**y tech every now and then, its the shops that are consistently like that you need to avoid

BowDown

Reaction score
I think I got lucky with Safelite. I had to use them because I was 600 miles from home at that moment. My installer was a 30+ year veteran and was with Safelite for about 14 years. We talked a lot and the message that I got from him was...safelite does a lot of training, however they work their people to death so they leave, so they have to keep hiring/training new people all the time, and right now they are struggling like everyone else to find people, so they are working their people even harder. What sucks is they have the best equipment, tools, training, etc...but the people make the difference.

Really bummed for you guys...hope both get fixed soon.

Yep, right now, every shops employees are worked to death, I had to schedule a tire install with Discount Tire as they were no longer taking walk-ins because of how short staffed they were.
@ weeks later when I got a screw through one, I called them about a tire repair to see if they had time, they said yes and come on down. It was a 3 hour wait, discount closes at 6PM, they got to me at 7:30 and I got there at 5PM. They told me If I wasn't on the lot at 6 when they closed that they'd cancel the repair order.

It amazes me that we have such a labor shortage now, nothing but lazy a55 people

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sad thing about Safelite Rosenberg is the manager stated he wanted to have the warranty install done by his "star" and most experienced installer so he set an appointment for his “star” to do it. I'm getting the feeling a junior guy did the removal and the "star" did the installation.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

Wow. three broken?? ridiculous. Hope this next one is good.

Whoa...that sucks. Who did the install? I used Safelite and an aftermarket windshield and I'm having zero issues. Sorry to hear about the trouble and I'll be curious what fixes it.
So I didn’t use safelite intentionally and used the best rated installer in my area that was approved by insurance. My problem was that they couldn’t do the calibration so I took it to Ed Voyles Dodge Chrysler Ram in Marietta GA and I think they messed something up when they attempted to do the calibration. Prior to going to them I only had the ACC unavailable and automatic emergency braking unavailable about 3 times on a 14 hour round trip road trip. When I went and took my truck back from them I then had none of my systems working, ACC, FCW, AEB or lane keep assist.

Reverse

Reaction score
So I didn’t use safelite intentionally and used the best rated installer in my area that was approved by insurance. My problem was that they couldn’t do the calibration so I took it to Ed Voyles Dodge Chrysler Ram in Marietta GA and I think they messed something up when they attempted to do the calibration. Prior to going to them I only had the ACC unavailable and automatic emergency braking unavailable about 3 times on a 14 hour round trip road trip. When I went and took my truck back from them I then had none of my systems working, ACC, FCW, AEB or lane keep assist.
I had mine installed through Safelite, and actually drove the truck while the installer did the calibration. It's mostly just software doing its thing while you drive the truck at different speeds, so for someone with the right tools it should be no problem.

Surprising that the dealer delivered the truck to you with non-functional safety systems. Are they trying to fix it?

BTW, the calibration was a separate item on the Safelite bill. You might give them a call and see if they will do just the calibration for you? Ifound them good to work with, but I understand it can be a crapshoot.

Users who are viewing this thread