5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The lower gear might be better getting the lead sled up on plane. Rangers are heavy and slow. Lol but the ride great. Rangers are like ram limiteds built for comfort.
Thats the specific design of that outboard, to help bass boats get to plane faster. Another nice feature, if you don't run aground, is water inlets at the nose of the bullet cone on the lower unit, it forces water into the water pump when running on plane. I should have gone with the standard 150, seeing how getting to plane with a tritoon is not as critical. After all they are sleds in nature, but for pulling skiers it helps alot, but we don't ski. I learned the hard way with my first new boat purchase in 1995 by not optioning the highest HP engine. In other words option the highest HP/performance available, thats why I chose the Pro X/S.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are all wrong, due to multiple posting of laughing emoji's, I researched the PCV. 1st - Its illegal to vent to atmosphere when engine is running, and for the most part the engine is sealed. The engine isn't perfectly sealed if you consider the atmosphere can penetrate through the valve guides and piston rings from the intake and exhaust manifolds. 2nd - The oil fill cap is sealed with an o-ring and has no pressure relief mechanism, in other words its a solid piece of plastic with an o-ring, not allowing atmosphere pressures or internal pressures to push through it. 3rd - The dip stick has an o-ring at the top and seals off the handle to the crankcase.

HSKR R/T, I might have misunderstood your post, I assume your referring to a vent as an open vent to atmosphere somewhere at the highest point on the engine. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV) works with a one directional pressure relief valve from the crankcase pressure to the vacuum of the intake before the air filter when it overcomes the valve spring pressure. Therefore it is in all intensive purposes a sealed crankcase.

So back to the bean counters, they just want to save money eliminating the dipstick.
You obviously don't understand the full PCV system and how it works. I won't bother wasting my time trying to explain. Will just sit back and laugh

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So back to the bean counters, they just want to save money eliminating the dipstick.
That makes zero sense. A dip stick and tube cost less than most oil level sensors. At best the parts cost would be a wash. That doesn’t account for the software development costs associated with the sensor. Cost couldn’t be the reason.

stevieb92

Reaction score
You obviously don't understand the full PCV system and how it works. I won't bother wasting my time trying to explain. Will just sit back and laugh

Since you are the all-knowing member here, I think you should explain it in detail. Don't be an a$$hat and ridicule someone for not understanding something and then not explain it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since you are the all-knowing member here, I think you should explain it in detail. Don't be an a$$hat and ridicule someone for not understanding something and then not explain it.
I'm not an all-knowing member. Just not worth my time. He's obviously got his mind made up, he said he did his research. If he still doesn't understand it, my explanation obviously isn't going to help. Ventilation is literally in the name.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
That makes zero sense. A dip stick and tube cost less than most oil level sensors. At best the parts cost would be a wash. That doesn’t account for the software development costs associated with the sensor. Cost couldn’t be the reason.

So the software investment is a one time cost, and the sensors aren't that much. If the Hurricane Engine has a 10 year run as the most popular engine, seeing how it replaces the Hemi, the costs associated with the dip stick is a huge saving. there is the cost machining of the block, the tube itself and the stick.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
This engine hasn't been proven yet, just because they have it in the jeep line, doesn't mean squat. The Eco Diesel was used in the Jeep line, and not much negative feedback that I have read over the years. It's when they went into the Ram production that the engine had major issues, alot of them failed within 10K miles. They are still around, meaning some that got past the issues are still running, but the recent update to the ECM (Thanks to EPA) caused them to lose power. My buddy bought a 2014 recently with 95K miles on it with the latest update, and he had to add on a throttle boost to help with the sluggish acceleration. We'll see just how the Hurricane durability is over the next 5 years, as I mentioned before I won't be buying one. I'll have to go back to a HD with the 6.4 or CTD, when I replace my 1500.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the software investment is a one time cost, and the sensors aren't that much. If the Hurricane Engine has a 10 year run as the most popular engine, seeing how it replaces the Hemi, the costs associated with the dip stick is a huge saving. there is the cost machining of the block, the tube itself and the stick.
I don't know how I could explain it in more simple terms for you, but I'll try. Cost of a Mopar dip stick and tube is just over $20 ($21.20). The cost of an oil level sensor is a little harder to know. I wasn't able to find one on the Mopar site I was searching. But an internet search brought up prices anywhere from around $10 to over $50. So the best we can do is go with something in between. Lets just say, for the sake of argument, it's the same as the cost of a dip stick/tube at $21. At this point the parts cost would be even. You're naively dismissing the cost of the software development as insignificant. The cost of software development may be a one time expense but it's not trivial. And is most definitely something the bean counters would consider. The cost for machining the block would be similar to the cost of machining the oil pan for the sensor. So where is this huge savings?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it may be early, the fact the Hurricane has been offered in the Wagoner for over two years now with very no major issues is a very good sign. Toyota had issues with their new V6 that showed themselves almost immediately, that's not to say their won't be longer term issues with the hurricane that develop if thier is thier is powertrain warrenty that lasts longer then I usually keep my truck anyway. The Wagoneer is a stablemat to the Ram 1500 and it weighs even more, the Cherokee was a smaller lighter vehicle.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Here’s the status of my order, just got an estimated delivery day a few days ago. Hope this helps those trying to figure out timelines.

View attachment 183853
Damn was hoping to scroll down and see you ordered a limited or tungsten 😂 congratulations though

edit: also I believe it’s because of the shutdown that’s gonna happen sometime over the summer there will be a 2-3 week period where they are shut down so that pushes production back 2-3 weeks

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know why previous video starts in middle, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you have time. Stellantis design engineer talking about Hurricane engine.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Just keep in mind, "He who laughs last, laughs best. Believe it or not, I do hope it is successful, because thats a lot of buyers money that will be waisted, as well as the reputation of Dodge Ram trucks. A lot of Eco Diesel buyers felt that after multiple engine failures in the same truck, a lot of buy backs during the first couple of years of the Eco Diesel. I was getting a 2014 2500 Ram 6.7 CTD service truck, that the company was paying for in early 2015, so I was talking with the Ram commercial sales manager, and he got a phone call that the second engine failed on the same Eco Diesel truck.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don’t know why previous video starts in middle, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you have time. Stellantis design engineer talking about Hurricane engine.

Watched it a few months ago, I remember it being a little bit of a puff piece. I like Alan, he seems genuine, but honestly did you expect him to come out and say "this new engine is terrible, avoid it"?

He was the designer of the both the hemi and the hurricane, but he has no choice other than to say the hurricane is "the better engine".

Direct injection, turbos, aluminum block, high compression in a tiny lightweight engine... not what I'm looking for in the slightest.

Put that thing in a dart or a neon..... and you might have my attention.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Watched it a few months ago, I remember it being a little bit of a puff piece. I like Alan, he seems genuine, but honestly did you expect him to come out and say "this new engine is terrible, avoid it"?

He was the designer of the both the hemi and the hurricane, but he has no choice other than to say the hurricane is "the better engine".

Direct injection, turbos, aluminum block, high compression in a tiny lightweight engine... not what I'm looking for in the slightest.

Put that thing in a dart or a neon..... and you might have my attention.

Not trying to change anyones minds on anything. I have not seen it and I thought it was fairly good.

I have a hemi, but I personally would not hesitate to get a hurricane. Designed to outperform the hemi and does.

stevieb92

Reaction score
I'm not an all-knowing member. Just not worth my time. He's obviously got his mind made up, he said he did his research. If he still doesn't understand it, my explanation obviously isn't going to help. Ventilation is literally in the name.

Says the guy with 10k posts... :D By your post count here, you've got lots of time. And it was worth your time to make a post to ridicule him. At least my mom told me that if I don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not trying to change anyones minds on anything. I have not seen it and I thought it was fairly good.

I have a hemi, but I personally would not hesitate to get a hurricane. Designed to outperform the hemi and does.

It's designed to replace the hemi. "Outperform" is the wrong word. It puts out more power, but make no mistake that its a physically weaker engine and has a worse duty cycle. Reliability is unknown.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's designed to replace the hemi. "Outperform" is the wrong word. It puts out more power, but make no mistake that it’s a physically weaker engine and has a worse duty cycle. Reliability is unknown.

Designed to replace and outperform hemi. It will, and does. More HP, more torque.

No one knows about it’s duty cycle and its reliability. Blah Blah, I know what your going to say. Everyone knows that. I know most will not buy this 1/2 ton with hurricane as a primary tow vehicle.

Don‘t line up with one empty or at max tow with your Hemi.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine (Ret.)
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While it may be early, the fact the Hurricane has been offered in the Wagoner for over two years now with very no major issues is a very good sign. Toyota had issues with their new V6 that showed themselves almost immediately, that's not to say their won't be longer term issues with the hurricane that develop if thier is thier is powertrain warrenty that lasts longer then I usually keep my truck anyway. The Wagoneer is a stablemat to the Ram 1500 and it weighs even more, the Cherokee was a smaller lighter vehicle.
Wagoneers are rated as one of the most unreliable vehicles on review sites. It appears there are (were?) overheating problems among a long list of safety and electrical/electronic issues. Regardless, the Hurricane (especially the HO) is going to have to prove itself to me... and I'm rooting for it to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread