5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you even tow bro? You guys slay me, the hemi has 400 hp and tows awesome, just got to get the rpms up. I just came back from a trip so this is fresh in my mind. 5500 pounds with a 24 foot dual axle RV (she has the same frontal footprint as dragging a 35 foot, its just shorter), I went past 3200 rpms exactly twice in a 3 hour trip, and both times were up a hill, the "worst" being 4000-ish from second gear.

I'll never turn down more power, but I want big block power not tiny turbo power.

Buts that beside the point. As I said, the ONLY thing the hurricane has over the hemi is acceleration (0 to 60). That's it. And if you're missing that aspect with your hemi that much that you need to trade in to get it, the wiser/better/cheaper thing would be to build up the hemi, not drop money on a tiny turbo.

Turbos are fine in a minivan or getting groceries, for a real truck doing real things NA v8 is where it's at. Ask Ford, that's why they built the 7.3.

So now you resort to hidden meaning synonym name calling. I’m a Bro, OK. I’ve been here before. That’s what children do.

I haul and tow farm stuff along with heavy implements and equipment. Every load is different depending what I need and where. I ask this truck to do way too much.

I know the hemi will pull it, but has to work hard sometimes. Needs more torque IMO.

Now to get back to the only reason I am even discussing this is to maybe help someone that is on the fence about what engine to buy in their new purchase. The hemi is proven, but I would not want a new one for LACK of performance in comparison to the Hurricane and the Etorque system that comes with it (problems, longevity, etc). Etorque is a main downfall IMO, besides the weakness.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So now you resort to hidden meaning synonym name calling. I’m a Bro, OK. I’ve been here before. That’s what children do.

I haul and tow farm stuff along with heavy implements and equipment. Every load is different depending what I need and where. I ask this truck to do way too much.

I know the hemi will pull it, but has to work hard sometimes. Needs more torque IMO.

Now to get back to the only reason I am even discussing this is to maybe help someone that is on the fence about what engine to buy in their new purchase. The hemi is proven, but I would not want a new one for LACK of performance in comparison to the Hurricane and the Etorque system that comes with it (problems, longevity, etc). Etorque is a main downfall IMO, besides the weakness.

Oh come on, "do you even XYZ bro" is a funny expression used all over the place, can't be first time you heard it.

The next mistake which your falling into is that a hemi running at 4000 rpms is "working hard" but a turbo with 20+ psi of boost towing at 2500 "isn't working as hard". That's a fallacy. RPMs is not the sole criteria as to when an engine is working hard. Yes the hurricane puts out more torque, but at what cost! Aluminium block, high boost, high compression, guaranteed to be running hotter temps (due to the above). Do you think the Ford 7.3 will be working harder than the hurricanes towing the same load just because it puts out less hp/torque? Or do you think that engine is built like a tank and will take 10 times the abuse of the hurricane? Same thing with the hemi though to a less extreme; it will take more abuse, run cooler, last longer, just at a little higher rpms. Again, we have PROOF of this due to the decade+ of it being used in the 2500 (slightly detuned but same engine).

A NA v8 engine like the hemi is idling its way through life most of the time. When needed, it'll pull at 2000 to 3000 rpms all day long with no trouble. Climbing a hill or passing may require brief periods above it, and to that say "who cares"? Enjoy the sound of a v8 getting after it, guys in sports cars pay extra for this.

As far as etorque goes, that's a completely different issue I'm not getting into, I don't have ET and won't ever get it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh come on, "do you even XYZ bro" is a funny expression used all over the place, can't be first time you heard it.

The next mistake which your falling into is that a hemi running at 4000 rpms is "working hard" but a turbo with 20+ psi of boost towing at 2500 "isn't working as hard". That's a fallacy. RPMs is not the sole criteria as to when an engine is working hard. Yes the hurricane puts out more torque, but at what cost! Aluminium block, high boost, high compression, guaranteed to be running hotter temps (due to the above). Do you think the Ford 7.3 will be working harder than the hurricanes towing the same load just because it puts out less hp/torque? Or do you think that engine is built like a tank and will take 10 times the abuse of the hurricane? Same thing with the hemi though to a less extreme; it will take more abuse, run cooler, last longer, just at a little higher rpms. Again, we have PROOF of this due to the decade+ of it being used in the 2500 (slightly detuned but same engine).

A NA v8 engine like the hemi is idling its way through life most of the time. When needed, it'll pull at 2000 to 3000 rpms all day long with no trouble. Climbing a hill or passing may require brief periods above it, and to that say "who cares"? Enjoy the sound of a v8 getting after it, guys in sports cars pay extra for this.

As far as etorque goes, that's a completely different issue I'm not getting into, I don't have ET and won't ever get it.

Yea someone called me Bro, Bruh, or something. They later explained how they were dissing me. 😂

You have some valid points. But I’m too lazy to answer your questions. It was all I could do to read it. 🥱

Potential Ram owners have a choice to make now, on new engine or old engine with Etorque.
I know what I would choose and I do use my trucks, Hurricane.

Am I going to trade in my non Etorque Hemi for Hurricane, No.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I don't understand this view point. The hemi is extremely competitive with other NA v8 engines, despite being a 20 year old design. Its power numbers put it between the 5.3 and the 6.2 from GM just like the displacement suggests it should, as does the real world performance numbers. It's right on par with the Tundra v8 and the Titan v8. Let that sink in.

The Ford 5.0 is the only one that is "new", but its essentially a mustang/car engine thrown in a truck. It needs to rev really high to make those power numbers, the hemi feels stronger down low because it is.

The only place it is showing its age is with emissions, something that bothers me less than it should; if we're that concerned about all this then maybe we can start with grounding the millionaire jets, bringing manufacturing back to our countries to cut down on the absolutely staggering pollution/emissions from shipping/cargo ships, cleaning up the diesel generators on trains etc etc.

Be careful now, the Green police are going to come get you now. ;)

PetePA

Reaction score
Do you guys remember the Nokia 1100? That came out the same year as something we all took about quite frequently.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Wonder if back in 2002, when the HEMI was announced to replace the 360/5.9 in 1500's, if the same thing was said...
You know, I've been there before, 5.9 vrs 6.7 CTD, way more HP and Torque and I drank the cool aid then. Bought a 2007 3500 4X4 C&C with less HP and slightly more TQ then the 2004 2500 4X4 5.9 CTD I sold my brother. The reason for less HP was the unknown facts (at that time) when the 2007.5 6.7 CTD's with the high HP/TQ then the 5.9's, C&C's got the lower performing engine. They had major issues with the EPA crap, and many were bought back. It took alot of years before they got em better, but they eventually did. My 94 2500 with the Magnum 360 was quite a mule and thought Dodge made a mistake getting rid of the 318 and 360, which I still do, But the Hemi didn't come out after the 318, they had a OHC 4.7 V-8. Gee where did that end up ?
I see lots of options here. It's amusing to read. Especially about things that are either unprovable or things that only time will answer. I hope the stellantis engineers were better at working together than we are on the forum. It's good to have different points of view but insulting each other gets both parties no where. I always listen, I like to learn. Opinions are individual perspective, no right, no wrong.

If the goal is winning an argument, no one wins. Opions are not right or wrong. This is why I have a successful marriage.
I'm on your side with that one, but don't go against the cool aid drinkers, they'll try to laugh emoji you out of the thread. I've been married 35 years so I know how to say "yes dear too". :giggle:
These videos are just clickbate to get views and be sensational. Does it happen sure there are lemons in every bunch of cars made are there more now during and since Covid yeah probably but the numbers still aren’t overwhelming and doom and gloom.
I didn't watch them, I know click bait on you tube, but it might be a good idea to check on a Jeep site that has members with issues. I'm not buying one, so I won't waist my time.
Yea someone called me Bro, Bruh, or something. They later explained how they were dissing me. 😂

You have some valid points. But I’m too lazy to answer your questions. It was all I could do to read it. 🥱

Potential Ram owners have a choice to make now, on new engine or old engine with Etorque.
I know what I would choose and I do use my trucks, Hurricane.

Am I going to trade in my non Etorque Hemi for Hurricane, No.
When I traded in my 3500 downsizing to a 1500 (didn't need the expense anymore) I took the third choice, I found a low milage used 2020 without eTorque 5.7 Hemi.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys remember the Nokia 1100? That came out the same year as something we all took about quite frequently.
I do remember that phone. But it wasn’t up to par with the Nokia 5160. Had no Snake game to play and battery was junk. Plus it didn’t double as a brick like the 5160. 🤣🤣🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So now we are comparing the 7.3 Ford HD lineup V8 to the Hurricane in a 1500. How much more you gotta stretch to try and make a point? Modified Hemi's, and now. Big displacement V8 only found in HD trucks are your comparisons to show how "weak" the Hurricane is. None of those motors have you even driving.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
You know, I've been there before, 5.9 vrs 6.7 CTD, way more HP and Torque and I drank the cool aid then. Bought a 2007 3500 4X4 C&C with less HP and slightly more TQ then the 2004 2500 4X4 5.9 CTD I sold my brother. The reason for less HP was the unknown facts (at that time) when the 2007.5 6.7 CTD's with the high HP/TQ then the 5.9's, C&C's got the lower performing engine. They had major issues with the EPA crap, and many were bought back. It took alot of years before they got em better, but they eventually did. My 94 2500 with the Magnum 360 was quite a mule and thought Dodge made a mistake getting rid of the 318 and 360, which I still do, But the Hemi didn't come out after the 318, they had a OHC 4.7 V-8. Gee where did that end up ?

I'm on your side with that one, but don't go against the cool aid drinkers, they'll try to laugh emoji you out of the thread. I've been married 35 years so I know how to say "yes dear too". :giggle:

I didn't watch them, I know click bait on you tube, but it might be a good idea to check on a Jeep site that has members with issues. I'm not buying one, so I won't waist my time.

When I traded in my 3500 downsizing to a 1500 (didn't need the expense anymore) I took the third choice, I found a low milage used 2020 without eTorque 5.7 Hemi.
I spent some time combing through the wagoneer forums. Didn’t find any reported problems with the hurricane engine most people raved about it and said how much they loved it even when compared to the hemis that were in previous wagoneer generations

MT755

Reaction score
Do you even tow bro? You guys slay me, the hemi has 400 hp and tows awesome, just got to get the rpms up. I just came back from a trip so this is fresh in my mind. 5500 pounds with a 24 foot dual axle RV (she has the same frontal footprint as dragging a 35 foot, its just shorter), I went past 3200 rpms exactly twice in a 3 hour trip, and both times were up a hill, the "worst" being 4000-ish from second gear.

I'll never turn down more power, but I want big block power not tiny turbo power.

Buts that beside the point. As I said, the ONLY thing the hurricane has over the hemi is acceleration (0 to 60). That's it. And if you're missing that aspect with your hemi that much that you need to trade in to get it, the wiser/better/cheaper thing would be to build up the hemi, not drop money on a tiny turbo.

Turbos are fine in a minivan or getting groceries, for a real truck doing real things NA v8 is where it's at. Ask Ford, that's why they built the 7.3.
In my opinion the fact that semi trucks use strait 6's with "turbos" says a lot. Yes they are diesel, that makes no difference, if designed correctly. Actually Cummins will be marketing straight 6 turbo gas engines in the near future. Whether it's 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 cylinders, with or without turbos or super chargers, the longevity of the engine with be determined by the engineering, manufacturing quality and maintenance of the engine, not the stuff that's been discussed at nausea here. Once again this is my opinion based on my knowledge. One thing I've learned over the years is that you can't reason with people that don't have open minds or think their way is the only way

BowDown

Reaction score
What does this have to do with "modified" and "fair comparison"?

No logic here.

I already have the hemi. I bought it because the Ram offered more value vs the others, with a proven drive train.

Now the hurricane comes along and the only thing its better at is 0 to 60. So IF that's what floats your boat and you absolutely need to hit 60 faster than the hemi; you trade in your hemi for a hurricane and waste many thousands in the process, OR, you can modify your hemi for less and still outperform the hurricane.

It's that simple.

Read his post, modded hemi vs stock hurricane and you're right, no logic in that comparison.
The hurricane is only better 0-60? The hurricanes power curve makes it better everywhere, you're the only one here focused on 0-60. And modding a hemi correctly to beat a hurricane costs what? Speaking of that, what's the point of modding a hemi to outperform a hurricane if 0-60 isn't important?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure which user it was but there is a user here that has a fully built Laramie. If I remember it was completed at the end of April but still hasnt been shipped to his dealer.
A shipping hold isn't a good sign.

silver billet

Reaction score
In my opinion the fact that semi trucks use strait 6's with "turbos" says a lot. Yes they are diesel, that makes no difference, if designed correctly. Actually Cummins will be marketing straight 6 turbo gas engines in the near future. Whether it's 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 cylinders, with or without turbos or super chargers, the longevity of the engine with be determined by the engineering, manufacturing quality and maintenance of the engine, not the stuff that's been discussed at nausea here. Once again this is my opinion based on my knowledge. One thing I've learned over the years is that you can't reason with people that don't have open minds or think their way is the only way

The cummins weighs about 500 pounds over even the 6.4 hemi. It's a completely different class of engine, they put those things in school busses. The fact that you think "there is no difference" is quite funny. Pull out a connecting rod from the cummins and compare it to the hurricane, I'm sure it's 10 times the size.

And while we're on the topic of diesel engine architecture; please look up the most powerful diesel engine in a light duty truck (1500 to 5500 series) and get back to me. Hint, it's not a straight six. The cummins makes a ton of power, and it's a solid engine, but the powerstroke and duramax (both v8s) prove that you don't need an inline to do it.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Read his post, modded hemi vs stock hurricane and you're right, no logic in that comparison.
The hurricane is only better 0-60? The hurricanes power curve makes it better everywhere, you're the only one here focused on 0-60. And modding a hemi correctly to beat a hurricane costs what? Speaking of that, what's the point of modding a hemi to outperform a hurricane if 0-60 isn't important?

The hurricanes only advantage over the hemi is acceleration (0 to 60). In every other way that matters, longevity, duty cycle, cost of maintenance (FCA mechanic has said its far more complicated), sound etc the hemi beats the hurricane.

So to reiterate for the 10th time; if 0 to 60 times (acceleration) is that important to you, you're better off building the hemi to meet your desires than you are spending money upgrading to a truck with the hurricane.

PetePA

Reaction score
The hurricanes only advantage over the hemi is acceleration (0 to 60). In every other way that matters, longevity, duty cycle, cost of maintenance (FCA mechanic has said its far more complicated), sound etc the hemi beats the hurricane.

So to reiterate for the 10th time; if 0 to 60 times (acceleration) is that important to you, you're better off building the hemi to meet your desires than you are spending money upgrading to a truck with the hurricane.

I think the hurricane sounds better than the Hemi.

Curious how you the longevity of the Hurricane.

Also curious how you're relating complexity to cost of maintenance. Is the thought that there are more components that can fail?

BowDown

Reaction score

You left out a few things:
  1. Fuel economy
  2. Emissions
  3. Weight on the front of the truck
  4. Increased Horsepower
  5. Increased Torque
  6. Increased Average Power
  7. Where it makes power (low speed power)
Those are a few

You cannot honestly speak longevity, duty cycle, cost of maintenance due to the short run vs the hemis 20+ year run of which many of here complained about the HEMI's alleged lifter issues or did you forget?
Again, YOU are the only one focused on 0-60, no one else has brought that up but you keep harping on it as though that's all some care about. News flash, If I wanted a fast truck, Id buy a SCRB F150 5.0 and TT or 3.0 whipple it.

Facts, you and a few others hate the I6, you're angry that the HEMI is gone for now so all you do is spout negative uneducated bull :poop: about the 2025 truck when a few months ago all you were doing was whining about the eTorque HEMI.

You've told everyone how much you dislike the hurricane, why are you continually in these threads muddying them with your repetitive false information? You're not going to stop a single person from buying a 2025 with a hurricane😄

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You left out a few things:
  1. Fuel economy
  2. Emissions
  3. Weight on the front of the truck
  4. Increased Horsepower
  5. Increased Torque
  6. Increased Average Power
  7. Where it makes power (low speed power)
Those are a few

You cannot honestly speak longevity, duty cycle, cost of maintenance due to the short run vs the hemis 20+ year run of which many of hear complained about the HEMIS alleged lifter issues or did you forget?
Again, YOU are the only one focused on 0-60, no one else has brought that up but you keep harping on it as though that's all some care about. News flash, If I wanted a fast truck, Id buy a SCRB F150 5.0 and TT or 3.0 whipple it.

Facts, you and a few others hate the I6, you're angry that the HEMI is gone for now so all you do is spout negative uneducated bull :poop: about the 2025 truck when a few months ago all you were doing was whining about the eTorque HEMI.

You've told everyone how much you dislike the hurricane, why are you continually in these threads muddying them with your repetitive false information? You're not going to stop a single person from buying a 2025 with a hurricane😄
Good write up.

He is going to call you Bro, if you keep that up.

MT755

Reaction score
The cummins weighs about 500 pounds over even the 6.4 hemi. It's a completely different class of engine, they put those things in school busses. The fact that you think "there is no difference" is quite funny. Pull out a connecting rod from the cummins and compare it to the hurricane, I'm sure it's 10 times the size.

And while we're on the topic of diesel engine architecture; please look up the most powerful diesel engine in a light duty truck (1500 to 5500 series) and get back to me. Hint, it's not a straight six. The cummins makes a ton of power, and it's a solid engine, but the powerstroke and duramax (both v8s) prove that you don't need an inline to do it.
Just my opion.

Sorry, no difference refers to needing the proper engineering to handle the desired output and longevity.
Using the Cummins as an example, 25 years ago it had 160 hp and now, 420. That's with only a 15%ish increase in displacement. Technology improve every year To get us here. Correct? As far as the weight statement, if the engine was 900 lbs 25 years ago at 160hp, the 420hp engine should weigh 2,250lbs with your logic or did I misunderstand what you tried convey? Engine weight has nothing to do with power or longevity. It's all in the engineering or am I wrong?
Please respond with your logic so I can incorporate it into my knowledge of engineering and physics.

No insults here, just trying to learn. Seriously. I don't know everything. I use my research and education to analyze all information I read, hear or see to better myself as a human and treat others as equals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/