5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My VW DCT transmission fill procedure was to change the filter under the battery and then fill it from the BOTTOM using a pump to push the fluid up into it until it until it starts spilling back to the ground. That's the same thing to "check" it too. Fill it till it spills over. Crazy.
Thats the same procedure when filling a lower unit on a outdrive/outboard boat motor. Which brings me back to advertised capacity vrs actual capacity, my new Mercury 150 Pro XS O/B motor says 28.1 fluid oz of gear oil for the lower unit. I pumped in 28oz and found it 1" lower than the breather plug. As per the owners manual instruction, you pump oil in from the bottom until it appears at the vent hole at the top, which was close to 3.5 more ounces.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Id think this was a pretty natural progression for a Rebel owner, an absolute no brainer and I bet that was Rams goal

Absolutely. Also, price wise it makes sense, seems like a great value. Especially since it's basically a TRX without the HC engine.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely. Also, price wise it makes sense, seems like a great value. Especially since it's basically a TRX without the HC engine.

I see no downside to the RHO, I actually question why anyone would buy a Rebel at this point unless it was a $$$ issue. No way I'd choose a Rebel over an RHO

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no downside to the RHO, I actually question why anyone would buy a Rebel at this point unless it was a $$$ issue. No way I'd choose a Rebel over an RHO
Yes. I have that much into my Rebel at this point anyway. Outside of possibly a spare tire, I would be ready to go just transfering my gear to the new truck and mounts for my coms.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. And don't forget that the Rebel comes with the SO version and not the HO.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Besides the bean counters, the only reason I can think of for deleting the dip stick, is that its not sealed, and oil is hydroscopic, especially synthetic oil. With the atmospheric pressure changes, it will allow atmosphere to inter the crankcase or transmission. Of coarse that is a theory, I don't know if they have a vent located on top somewhere like the differentials have.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Besides the bean counters, the only reason I can think of for deleting the dip stick, is that its not sealed, and oil is hydroscopic, especially synthetic oil. With the atmospheric pressure changes, it will allow atmosphere to inter the crankcase or transmission. Of coarse that is a theory, I don't know if they have a vent located on top somewhere like the differentials have.
Gasket?
Guess we need to get rid of the fill cap too since that's not sealed.
Lifetime engine oil with your 6000 mile power train warranty.
Year 2030.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All engines have a crankcase vent to vent blowby. You will never fully seal a cylinder and will get some blowby. Plus, PCV system wouldn't work without a vent

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Thats the same procedure when filling a lower unit on a outdrive/outboard boat motor. Which brings me back to advertised capacity vrs actual capacity, my new Mercury 150 Pro XS O/B motor says 28.1 fluid oz of gear oil for the lower unit. I pumped in 28oz and found it 1" lower than the breather plug. As per the owners manual instruction, you pump oil in from the bottom until it appears at the vent hole at the top, which was close to 3.5 more ounces.
how do you like that outboard? I am thinking about repowering my 04 Ranger 175 with this engine. not a fan of the new boats rediculous pricing on all brands.

PetePA

Reaction score
how do you like that outboard? I am thinking about repowering my 04 Ranger 175 with this engine. not a fan of the new boats rediculous pricing on all brands.
Ohh I've got a ranger too 😂. What color?

PetePA

Reaction score
its all flake, bright red cap, fox mist sides and bright silver pins. very bottom gloss black gel. it's a beautiful boat and it still looks new . just getting tired of the old 2 stroke merc.
I figured it had red in it to match your Delmonico red limited. Mine is silver to match the billet silver

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I figured it had red in it to match your Delmonico red limited. Mine is silver to match the billet silver
you got it right, I always order red trucks, the DelMonico is a little bit dark, I would like the brighter red and little more metalic. but the DelMonico will go with the fox mist side hull well.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
you got it right, I always order red trucks, the DelMonico is a little bit dark, I would like the brighter red and little more metalic. but the DelMonico will go with the fox mist side hull well.
I saw the bright red color in person looks just like a fire truck. I actually liked it lol. I really wanted to forged blue metallic because I like the way that it looks with the chrome the best but they aren’t available to order yet so I went with the ivory white because that’s my second favorite color. In the end I’m glad I did go with the ivory white because I went with the ebony red interior which I absolutely love and I wouldn’t have done that with the blue exterior color.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
It pushes my 21' Tritoon just fine, but I'm sure you'd like it on your Ranger. The 150 Pro XS has a lower ratio gearbox in the lower unit at 2.08:1 with range of 5200-6000 RPM vrs the 150 Four stroke 1.92:1 range is 5000-5800 RPM. Make sure to get Vessel View, so you can see info on your phone, I love mine.

You can get more user input on the 150 Pro XS, if you join "The Hull Truth", its as good as 5th GenRams.

Last edited:

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
It pushes my 21' Tritoon just fine, but I'm sure you'd like it on your Ranger. The 150 Pro XS has a lower ratio gearbox in the lower unit at 2.08:1 with range of 5200-6000 RPM vrs the 150 Four stroke 1.92:1 range is 5000-5800 RPM. Make sure to get Vessel View, so you can see info on your phone, I love mine.

You can get more user input on the 150 Pro XS, if you join "The Hull Truth", it’s as good as 5th GenRams.
The lower gear might be better getting the lead sled up on plane. Rangers are heavy and slow. Lol but the ride great. Rangers are like ram limiteds built for comfort.

RVTRKN

Reaction score

Gasket?
Guess we need to get rid of the fill cap too since that's not sealed.
Lifetime engine oil with your 6000 mile power train warranty.
Year 2030.

All engines have a crankcase vent to vent blowby. You will never fully seal a cylinder and will get some blowby. Plus, PCV system wouldn't work without a vent

We are all wrong, due to multiple posting of laughing emoji's, I researched the PCV. 1st - Its illegal to vent to atmosphere when engine is running, and for the most part the engine is sealed. The engine isn't perfectly sealed if you consider the atmosphere can penetrate through the valve guides and piston rings from the intake and exhaust manifolds. 2nd - The oil fill cap is sealed with an o-ring and has no pressure relief mechanism, in other words its a solid piece of plastic with an o-ring, not allowing atmosphere pressures or internal pressures to push through it. 3rd - The dip stick has an o-ring at the top and seals off the handle to the crankcase.

HSKR R/T, I might have misunderstood your post, I assume your referring to a vent as an open vent to atmosphere somewhere at the highest point on the engine. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV) works with a one directional pressure relief valve from the crankcase pressure to the vacuum of the intake before the air filter when it overcomes the valve spring pressure. Therefore it is in all intensive purposes a sealed crankcase.

So back to the bean counters, they just want to save money eliminating the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread