5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Here’s the status of my order, just got an estimated delivery day a few days ago. Hope this helps those trying to figure out timelines.

View attachment 183853
This doesn’t bode well to be honest. I can’t imagine a truck in production may 20 taking until August to get to dealer. When dealer is just across lake Michigan. It’s a quick trip around the south end and it’s all interstate. 4 hour trip tops.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Designed to replace and outperform hemi. It will, and does. More HP, more torque.

No one knows about it’s duty cycle and its reliability. Blah Blah, I know what your going to say. Everyone knows that. I know most will not buy this 1/2 ton with hurricane as a primary tow vehicle.

Don‘t line up with one empty or at max tow with your Hemi.

You're not convincing anyone. Why did you buy a hemi instead of an ecoboost if power is the end all and be all? Obviously there is more to a truck than 0 to 60, right?

For less money than it would cost me to upgrade to a HO, I could build my 5.7 or a 6.4 that would waste your hurricane.

That's the problem with most of you hurricane fans. You're focusing on stoplight wars. Have at it, my truck has never been in a single race.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're not convincing anyone. Why did you buy a hemi instead of an ecoboost if power is the end all and be all? Obviously there is more to a truck than 0 to 60, right?

For less money than it would cost me to upgrade to a HO, I could build my 5.7 or a 6.4 that would waste your hurricane.

That's the problem with most of you hurricane fans. You're focusing on stoplight wars. Have at it, my truck has never been in a single race.
It's always funny when people start using the excuse of, well, if I modify my vehicle I already own I will best your stock vehicle. That's not how it works. If you can't compete stock to stock, you lose. If you have to modify your vehicle to best a stock vehicle, you are comparing apples to oranges.

dammitbobby

Reaction score

I disagree, I had the decision between the hemi and the hurricane. I went with the hurricane because of how it drives its superior for me in every aspect. The power it’s instant and smooth and quite (I know not everyone likes it but I do). Sure you can modify a 5.7 or 6.4 to be more powerful but for 99% of people they’re not going to do that. Like you said you’re not racing it. Also if you modify your 6.4 or 5.7 your mpg will tank so you’ll get a slightly more powerful engine for dramatically less mpg. Quality of the hurricane still needs to be proven but on paper it’s superior to the hemi.

BowDown

Reaction score
This engine hasn't been proven yet, just because they have it in the jeep line, doesn't mean squat. The Eco Diesel was used in the Jeep line, and not much negative feedback that I have read over the years. It's when they went into the Ram production that the engine had major issues, alot of them failed within 10K miles. They are still around, meaning some that got past the issues are still running, but the recent update to the ECM (Thanks to EPA) caused them to lose power. My buddy bought a 2014 recently with 95K miles on it with the latest update, and he had to add on a throttle boost to help with the sluggish acceleration. We'll see just how the Hurricane durability is over the next 5 years, as I mentioned before I won't be buying one. I'll have to go back to a HD with the 6.4 or CTD, when I replace my 1500.

Wonder if back in 2002, when the HEMI was announced to replace the 360/5.9 in 1500's, if the same thing was said...

BowDown

Reaction score

So you could spend thousands of $$$ on a 5.7/6.4 and "waste" stock hurricane?
You sound like the mustang guys at the track.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s the status of my order, just got an estimated delivery day a few days ago. Hope this helps those trying to figure out timelines.

View attachment 183853
Good news your delivery date is likely wrong. Unless it's railed to Milwaukee, it should be there within a week after it's ready to ship.

Damn was hoping to scroll down and see you ordered a limited or tungsten 😂 congratulations though

edit: also I believe it’s because of the shutdown that’s gonna happen sometime over the summer there will be a 2-3 week period where they are shut down so that pushes production back 2-3 weeks

Production only takes a day or two. If it started May 20th, I'd be wondering why it's not done (unless it went to the accessory building for a spray in liner or something).

This doesn’t bode well to be honest. I can’t imagine a truck in production may 20 taking until August to get to dealer. When dealer is just across lake Michigan. It’s a quick trip around the south end and it’s all interstate. 4 hour trip tops.
Screenshot_20240527_002106_Maps.jpg

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
... Stellantis design engineer talking about Hurricane engine.

I recall a video they did with a Stellantis design engineer about all the fuel being saved with the e-torque system and his claims don't appear to be met and were more propaganda.
Wonder if the same is true here.

Serpens

Reaction score
So me getting over +150 HP/Torque and 2mpg better than stock is a fluke with a Procharger on my 5.7? I haven't even tried to get decent mileage or it would probably be 3-4 mpg better.

I think it's fair to compare a supercharged 5.7 to a turbocharged Hurricane, besides the Hurricane benefits from direct injection too. Although I feel they should have done both port and direct to keep the carbon build up minimized. Could be an issue on the Hurricanes.

My 5.7 won't be working as hard as a 3.0 I6 either, while moving a 5,000lb.+ truck. No replacement for displacement.

Comparing a stock engine to a modified one is always an unfair comparison. The modified engine doesn’t have to worry about emissions, EPA fuel economy (don’t care what you claim to get in real life), durability testing, etc.

Modern DI engines aren’t suffering from excessive carbon build up by the way. That was a serious issue in DI engines from the late 2000s and early 2010s engines though.

BowDown

Reaction score
So me getting over +150 HP/Torque and 2mpg better than stock is a fluke with a Procharger on my 5.7? I haven't even tried to get decent mileage or it would probably be 3-4 mpg better.

I think it's fair to compare a supercharged 5.7 to a turbocharged Hurricane, besides the Hurricane benefits from direct injection too. Although I feel they should have done both port and direct to keep the carbon build up minimized. Could be an issue on the Hurricanes.

My 5.7 won't be working as hard as a 3.0 I6 either, while moving a 5,000lb.+ truck. No replacement for displacement.

I'd be slightly worried about what the UAW workers are claiming about this engine and it's potential issues:
Even many Demon 170's are having serious quality issues from blown engines to rust:

Quality is going down on all their products. Sad days ahead for all of us Mopar fans.

That's not a fair comparison, compare a modified hurricane to your modified 5.7 then you have a comparison. As for working hard, if you guys think that 500 to 700 horsepower out of a turbo I or V6 engine is working hard, you guys haven't been paying attention to engine technology for the last 10 years.
This six-cylinder GTRs making 3,000 horsepower. There is inline 6 2JZs making 3,500 horsepower, and both those numbers are at the wheels always stock blocks.

As for your modified 5.7, throw 10 lb of boost at it along with seven or eight more degrees of timing and let's see how long it lives. As for fuel economy, even if you tried, you'd never get hurricane mpg out of a procharge 5.7.

silver billet

Reaction score
That's not a fair comparison, compare a modified hurricane to your modified 5.7 then you have a comparison. As for working hard, if you guys think that 500 to 700 horsepower out of a turbo I or V6 engine is working hard, you guys haven't been paying attention to engine technology for the last 10 years.
This six-cylinder GTRs making 3,000 horsepower. There is inline 6 2JZs making 3,500 horsepower, and both those numbers are at the wheels always stock blocks.

As for your modified 5.7, throw 10 lb of boost at it along with seven or eight more degrees of timing and let's see how long it lives. As for fuel economy, even if you tried, you'd never get hurricane mpg out of a procharge 5.7.

What does this have to do with "modified" and "fair comparison"?

No logic here.

I already have the hemi. I bought it because the Ram offered more value vs the others, with a proven drive train.

Now the hurricane comes along and the only thing its better at is 0 to 60. So IF that's what floats your boat and you absolutely need to hit 60 faster than the hemi; you trade in your hemi for a hurricane and waste many thousands in the process, OR, you can modify your hemi for less and still outperform the hurricane.

It's that simple.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Hemi has been an awesome engine and I am sad to see it go. Unfortunately, they let it get old just like the entire product portfolio. When I was waiting for the 5th gen reveal I was really disappointed that they did not do a big engine upgrade. Now 6 years later, and still no Hemi upgrade. The Hemi is basically the same since it came out over 20 years ago. I am puzzled that they didn’t make a v8 available like ford and Chevy had though. I am not totally sold on the idea of a 6 cyl, but I think the inline 6 is a step above a v6 and definitely will blow the Hemi away in terms of performance. How it does in long term reliability and under load, I will wait and see.

silver billet

Reaction score
The Hemi has been an awesome engine and I am sad to see it go. Unfortunately, they let it get old just like the entire product portfolio. When I was waiting for the 5th gen reveal I was really disappointed that they did not do a big engine upgrade. Now 6 years later, and still no Hemi upgrade. The Hemi is basically the same since it came out over 20 years ago. I am puzzled that they didn’t make a v8 available like ford and Chevy had though. I am not totally sold on the idea of a 6 cyl, but I think the inline 6 is a step above a v6 and definitely will blow the Hemi away in terms of performance. How it does in long term reliability and under load, I will wait and see.

I don't understand this view point. The hemi is extremely competitive with other NA v8 engines, despite being a 20 year old design. Its power numbers put it between the 5.3 and the 6.2 from GM just like the displacement suggests it should, as does the real world performance numbers. It's right on par with the Tundra v8 and the Titan v8. Let that sink in.

The Ford 5.0 is the only one that is "new", but its essentially a mustang/car engine thrown in a truck. It needs to rev really high to make those power numbers, the hemi feels stronger down low because it is.

The only place it is showing its age is with emissions, something that bothers me less than it should; if we're that concerned about all this then maybe we can start with grounding the millionaire jets, bringing manufacturing back to our countries to cut down on the absolutely staggering pollution/emissions from shipping/cargo ships, cleaning up the diesel generators on trains etc etc.

MT755

Reaction score
I see lots of options here. It's amusing to read. Especially about things that are either unprovable or things that only time will answer. I hope the stellantis engineers were better at working together than we are on the forum. It's good to have different points of view but insulting each other gets both parties no where. I always listen, I like to learn. Opinions are individual perspective, no right, no wrong.

If the goal is winning an argument, no one wins. Opions are not right or wrong. This is why I have a successful marriage.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No logic here.

I already have the hemi. I bought it because the Ram offered more value vs the others, with a proven drive train.

Now the hurricane comes along and the only thing its better at is 0 to 60. So IF that's what floats your boat and you absolutely need to hit 60 faster than the hemi; you trade in your hemi for a hurricane and waste many thousands in the process, OR, you can modify your hemi for less and still outperform the hurricane.

It's that simple.

0 to 60, blah, or modify your hemi … and outperform.

“Its that simple”

You think the only thing the big increase in performance of the hurricane is just for 0 to 60 times.

It will be a better performing truck doing truck stuff. Full loads, towing heavy, hills, the occasional hemi race to put it in its place. More Performance. It’s THAT simple.

No one can see into the future. We don’t know potential problems or longevity of the hurricane, OK.
But to argue against performance is crazy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No logic here.

It's that simple.
Your opinion is the only thing the hurricane does better is 0-60 times, yet have you even driven one to actually know. I hear better arguments on the playground by my house from teenagers.

dammitbobby

Reaction score

I'd be slightly worried about what the UAW workers are claiming about this engine and it's potential issues:
Even many Demon 170's are having serious quality issues from blown engines to rust:

Quality is going down on all their products. Sad days ahead for all of us Mopar fans.
These videos are just clickbate to get views and be sensational. Does it happen sure there are lemons in every bunch of cars made are there more now during and since Covid yeah probably but the numbers still aren’t overwhelming and doom and gloom.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Good news your delivery date is likely wrong. Unless it's railed to Milwaukee, it should be there within a week after it's ready to ship.

Production only takes a day or two. If it started May 20th, I'd be wondering why it's not done (unless it went to the accessory building for a spray in liner or something).

View attachment 183888
I’m not sure which user it was but there is a user here that has a fully built Laramie. If I remember it was completed at the end of April but still hasnt been shipped to his dealer.

silver billet

Reaction score
0 to 60, blah, or modify your hemi … and outperform.

“Its that simple”

You think the only thing the big increase in performance of the hurricane is just for 0 to 60 times.

It will be a better performing truck doing truck stuff. Full loads, towing heavy, hills, the occasional hemi race to put it in its place. More Performance. It’s THAT simple.

No one can see into the future. We don’t know potential problems or longevity of the hurricane, OK.
But to argue against performance is crazy.

Do you even tow bro? You guys slay me, the hemi has 400 hp and tows awesome, just got to get the rpms up. I just came back from a trip so this is fresh in my mind. 5500 pounds with a 24 foot dual axle RV (she has the same frontal footprint as dragging a 35 foot, its just shorter), I went past 3200 rpms exactly twice in a 3 hour trip, and both times were up a hill, the "worst" being 4000-ish from second gear.

I'll never turn down more power, but I want big block power not tiny turbo power.

Buts that beside the point. As I said, the ONLY thing the hurricane has over the hemi is acceleration (0 to 60). That's it. And if you're missing that aspect with your hemi that much that you need to trade in to get it, the wiser/better/cheaper thing would be to build up the hemi, not drop money on a tiny turbo.

Turbos are fine in a minivan or getting groceries, for a real truck doing real things NA v8 is where it's at. Ask Ford, that's why they built the 7.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread