5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
And there it is…
Even the people that have dipsticks don’t even know how to properly check the oil.
On these trucks with the hemi, it’s 5 minutes after a fully warmed up engine has been shut down.
As far as checking the hurricane level, that’s been posted straight from the owner’s manual multiple times in this thread.

1716395769348.png

Oh, not everyone is currently driving a Hemi. ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have to know everything about this engine to know its over engineered, just reading the BS from Fiat tells me. How many engines have a sensor to "see" the combustion to help the ECM tune as well as keep in EPA compliance. I may may be over the top per your opinion, but your also drinking the cool aid on how wonderfull this new I6 is going to be.
You mean like O2 sensors, or EGT sensor? Both are used to "see" the combustion and how efficient it is to help the ECM adjust to stay in compliance granted the Hemi doesn't have EGT sensors, but many engines do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve already gone over the points, if you think the new motor is superior to the Hemi, spend your $70K to buy it. I get a kick how the Hemi was considered a good engine until someone poured out the coolaid
Hemi is still a good engine. Doesn't mean the Hurricane isn't better. No Kool aid needed, just common sense

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have to know everything about this engine to know its over engineered, just reading the BS from Fiat tells me. How many engines have a sensor to "see" the combustion to help the ECM tune as well as keep in EPA compliance. I may may be over the top per your opinion, but your also drinking the cool aid on how wonderfull this new I6 is going to be.

Most, ever heard of an O2 sensor and wait, this will blow your mind, theres 2 of them on each engine bank!!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Certainly one of the most dramatic threads here. thankfully we all have the freedom to buy what we can afford. No one is forcing anyone to buy the Hurricane and no one is forcing anyone to buy the Hemi. Been a lot of engine changes since the model T, and there will be more coming I imagine. Can't get the 426 Hemi or the 427 cammer anymore and probably wouldn't want one in a modern vehicle

You can still buy a 426 Hemi crate engine.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Lol, if ya'll think this is bad you should've been around to see what Ford did to the Mustang in the mid 70s, talk about a buzz kill. I love my Hemi. When my 09 got totalled I told myself I would get me another. The one I have now I plan on keeping as long as the wheels stay on it. You can buy the 426 Hemi but not today
**Temporarily Unavailable - no ETA at this time**

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s some fun food for thought:

A lot of similar talk among midsize buyers, grouchy that all the options are going turbo-4.

Anyone thinking about buying a midsize truck would do well to consider ordering a 3.6l V6 Ram 1500 Big Horn from Mark Dodge for the same or less money than a midsize. So much more value for the money!

When you change the lens of view of the competitor set the conversation changes dramatically.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
You mean like O2 sensors, or EGT sensor? Both are used to "see" the combustion and how efficient it is to help the ECM adjust to stay in compliance granted the Hemi doesn't have EGT sensors, but many engines do.
honestly, Almost any engine from the mid 80s to present has had some kind of sensor to do just what you question.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I've got a different angle on the no-dipstick, sensor thing. For me, someone who will never own a late model vehicle without a full factory warranty, it just doesn't matter to me. Why? Because if the sensor fails to tell me there is low oil, and it blows up, it's on them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Does pretty well, essentially the Cybertruck representing EVs, RAM representing turbos & F150 representing the V8s.

The Hurricane was quite a bit faster than the 5.0L V8 0-60 unladen. Especially good since just the Standard Output Hurricane. Though the test is done at high altitude, so not great for NA motors, but still not bad for the Hurricane, they had some very nice things to say about it's power delivery and smoothness.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got a different angle on the no-dipstick, sensor thing. For me, someone who will never own a late model vehicle without a full factory warranty, it just doesn't matter to me. Why? Because if the sensor fails to tell me there is low oil, and it blows up, it's on them.
But no it doesn't fall on them. They will let you know how you did not do X, Y, or Z.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But no it doesn't fall on them. They will let you know how you did not do X, Y, or Z.
It absolutely falls on them if that happens under warranty. Unless you do something stupid like continue to drive with it warning you about a low oil condition. The truck is smart enough to know the sequence of events for a situation like that.

BowDown

Reaction score
It absolutely falls on them if that happens under warranty. Unless you do something stupid like continue to drive with it warning you about a low oil condition. The truck is smart enough to know the sequence of events for a situation like that.
Wasting your breath, the dipstickers are dug in with this nonsense. They have an excuse for everything

wazslow

Reaction score
Does pretty well, essentially the Cybertruck representing EVs, RAM representing turbos & F150 representing the V8s.

The Hurricane was faster than the 5.0L V8 by half a second 0-60 unladen. Especially good since just the Standard Output Hurricane. Though the test is done at high altitude, so not great for NA motors, but still not bad for the Hurricane, they had some very nice things to say about it's power delivery and smoothness.

You may need to re-watch the video. The Hurricane was 2 seconds faster to 60mph than the Coyote V8. 6.54 vs 8.51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread