5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had an engine that accurate, with reported capacity vrs actual capacity.
Ohhhh, so now it’s the engine that’s not accurate, or maybe they just don’t know and write down anything for capacity? What if the dipstick itself is inaccurately marked?

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
It's a fact of business man. It's not even just the auto industry.
I can't even replace motherboards in OEM laptops anymore because they tie them to the serial number of the computer and without special, not for sale software I can't pair them. Before you would just go into the bios and type it in no problem. Only reason is so the OEM can make money on the repair
yes, that computer stuff used to be easy peasy. it takes twice as long now trying to figure out how to get around all the OEM ******** to do simple upgrades like that.
anymore I just buy all the parts I need and build my own computers. they last longer than OEM puters too.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Yes its true I am a 3.0 I6 hurricane hater, and so what if I am? As a new engine, it'll impress everyone with the so-called more HP than the Hemi, but wait until you have to repair that sucker, you'll feel like a sucker when only the dealer can work on it. Again its over engineered, with two turbos, one feeds 1-3 and the other feeds 4-6 with charged air. It senses the burning inside the combustion chamber to help in EPA emissions. Two independent cooling systems. No dipstick to check oil yourself, why would they delete that? Anyone remember idiot lights on the dash, I wonder how that nickname came into being? There is a lot bigger list of the so-called genius new technology, but I don't have time to study the engine with limited information. On edit, I forgot to mention the overhead cams.

I miss the days you'd open the hood and actually see the engine. It was nice to open the hood and see my 5.9 Cummins engine, even when they tried to hide the EGR tubes crossing over to the intake with the "Batwing" to make it look more pleasing on the 6.7, you could still the engine. Try that on the Ford Powerjoke or on the GM Duraflat. So the Hurricane has the huge cover to hide the complicated systems, that seems to be the norm today.

Last edited:

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Boy I wish these trucks would come in so we can separate the fact from fiction once and for all. these posts are getting nauseating. :cool::cool:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ohhhh, so now it’s the engine that’s not accurate, or maybe they just don’t know and write down anything for capacity? What if the dipstick itself is inaccurately marked?

No, its the Fiat way of doing business at fault. Lets just assume that the dipstick isn't accurate, but when I fill it to full mark every time I change the oil, it'll always be the same level every time.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that I'm not jumping on the bandwagon with Fiat engineered engines and technology, but Fiat is ruining the Dodge Ram brand (BTW, Fiat changed that too) that I have defended and loved for over 45 years. I've owned many Dodge trucks, but this new direction of Fiat changing our trucks is going to far with me. I don't know if I could stomach buying Ford or GM, but I'll consider them if they still run the non overhead cam V8 engines.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Boy I wish these trucks would come in so we can separate the fact from fiction once and for all. these posts are getting nauseating. :cool::cool:

LMAO, ya I'm with you on that, but I have to wait for a few years to see the posts complaining of how much the dealer charged them to work on em.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Serious and curious question about oil checking without a dipstick.
Usually I check the dipstick before starting the engine to get the proper reading.
With this new feature, do you have to remember to turn the dash on without starting the engine?
Or is it designed where the gauge works and the reading is valid whether the engine is running or not?
I'm curious as to the reason you check your oil before you start your engine every time? I would check every time I get fuel, if I suspected oil consumption.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Serious and curious question about oil checking without a dipstick.
Usually I check the dipstick before starting the engine to get the proper reading.
With this new feature, do you have to remember to turn the dash on without starting the engine?
Or is it designed where the gauge works and the reading is valid whether the engine is running or not?
There are certain conditions that must be met before the vehicle will give you a oil level reading. At least that's how my Audi's work. I'm sure these new trucks will be similar to that.

I don't know if I could stomach buying Ford or GM, but I'll consider them if they still run the non overhead cam V8 engines.
You'll want to avoid Ford too then. Even their 5.0 V8 is OHC.

I'm curious as to the reason you check your oil before you start your engine every time? I would check every time I get fuel, if I suspected oil consumption.
I'm pretty sure he means that when he checks his oil he only does it when the engine has been sitting for a while. Not that he's checking it every time he starts the truck.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes its true I am a 3.0 I6 hurricane hater, and so what if I am? As a new engine, it'll impress everyone with the so-called more HP than the Hemi, but wait until you have to repair that sucker, you'll feel like a sucker when only the dealer can work on it. Again its over engineered, with two turbos, one feeds 1-3 and the other feeds 4-6 with charged air. It senses the burning inside the combustion chamber to help in EPA emissions. Two independent cooling systems. No dipstick to check oil yourself, why would they delete that? Anyone remember idiot lights on the dash, I wonder how that nickname came into being? There is a lot bigger list of the so-called genius new technology, but I don't have time to study the engine with limited information. On edit, I forgot to mention the overhead cams.

I miss the days you'd open the hood and actually see the engine. It was nice to open the hood and see my 5.9 Cummins engine, even when they tried to hide the EGR tubes crossing over to the intake with the "Batwing" to make it look more pleasing on the 6.7, you could still the engine. Try that on the Ford Powerjoke or on the GM Duraflat. So the Hurricane has the huge cover to hide the complicated systems, that seems to be the norm today.
Over engineered? I just don't understand this sentiment. Turbo engine have been around for decades. They didn't reinvent the wheel with this engine. There is no ground breaking technology on it. Everything in it has been used in other engines for years and proven reliable.

Imagine thinking you know so much about an engine, but really know little about

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The point is more towards how complicated this new truck is, not that there is no dip stick. A message on the dash telling you that your a quart low is ridiculous.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And there it is…
Even the people that have dipsticks don’t even know how to properly check the oil.
On these trucks with the hemi, it’s 5 minutes after a fully warmed up engine has been shut down.
As far as checking the hurricane level, that’s been posted straight from the owner’s manual multiple times in this thread.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Over engineered? I just don't understand this sentiment. Turbo engine have been around for decades. They didn't reinvent the wheel with this engine. There is no ground breaking technology on it. Everything in it has been used in other engines for years and proven reliable.

Imagine thinking you know so much about an engine, but really know little about
I don't have to know everything about this engine to know its over engineered, just reading the BS from Fiat tells me. How many engines have a sensor to "see" the combustion to help the ECM tune as well as keep in EPA compliance. I may may be over the top per your opinion, but your also drinking the cool aid on how wonderfull this new I6 is going to be.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
And there it is…
Even the people that have dipsticks don’t even know how to properly check the oil.
On these trucks with the hemi, it’s 5 minutes after a fully warmed up engine has been shut down.
As far as checking the hurricane level, that’s been posted straight from the owner’s manual multiple times in this thread.
Really Jimmy, if you check your oil as per the owners manual, especially when changing oil as I do, then when cold in the morning, the level will be the same every time you check a cold engine at the level it is when cold. The oil doesn't magically stay in the engine until you warm it up, you can set a baseline as what level it is when cold.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have to know everything about this engine to know its over engineered, just reading the BS from Fiat tells me. How many engines have a sensor to "see" the combustion to help the ECM tune as well as keep in EPA compliance. I may may be over the top per your opinion, but your also drinking the cool aid on how wonderfull this new I6 is going to be.
What exactly is over engineered about this engine? In your opinion it's more complicated than it needs to be. In my opinion you're just being ignorant to new technology. You're using a buzz word because you think the engine is too complicated. Granted, it is complicated. As is almost every engine currently being produced for passenger vehicles. The Hemi is a much older design, which makes it less complicated. Does that mean it's under engineered?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I’ve already gone over the points, if you think the new motor is superior to the Hemi, spend your $70K to buy it. I get a kick how the Hemi was considered a good engine until someone poured out the coolaid

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve already gone over the points, if you think the new motor is superior to the Hemi, spend your $70K to buy it. I get a kick how the Hemi was considered a good engine until someone poured out the coolaid
Actually, I won't be buying one myself. I'm happy with the hemi in our 2020 Limited. I just think it's entertaining you're getting so worked up about us defending the Hurricane siblings. And that you're comparing one of the most horrific events in modern history to people arguing for a new engine based on a proven design.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Certainly one of the most dramatic threads here. thankfully we all have the freedom to buy what we can afford. No one is forcing anyone to buy the Hurricane and no one is forcing anyone to buy the Hemi. Been a lot of engine changes since the model T, and there will be more coming I imagine. Can't get the 426 Hemi or the 427 cammer anymore and probably wouldn't want one in a modern vehicle

PetePA

Reaction score
I'm actually not spending $90,000 on it. I'm spending $90,000 - $80,000 = $10,000.

It's the only reason I didn't pick up a Limited w/ Elite Package.

Users who are viewing this thread