5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean it felt clunky? Transmission shifting, odd throttle response, or something else.
There were a few stop/starts that I felt some lag. It wasn't bad and only happened once or twice. I wouldn't consider it an on going issue. I sort of do rolling starts where I just let the pedal off and let it roll forward and I think since the auto stop start was on (I don't have it on my truck), it sort of felt clunky at first and then I hit the gas and it picked up. Probably more of my driving style that caused it. All in all it felt 100x better than the Tundra (I-Force Max....whatever), and the hybrid Ford Engine is that I drove.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
C is "sub firm", the first of Scheduled Order Codes; D is "firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available"
That would make sense why it wasn't on the website if it wasn't in the process of being built.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing I noticed is that almost every dealer I have called and asked them if they had any 2025s. All the sales reps told me "No", and then I told them well your website says its on the dealer lot. Then they would go double check and find out that they did have it available. I never worked at a car dealership so I have no idea how they work but it seemed odd to me that they would get in new trucks for the new model year and the sales people wouldn't even know they arrived. Some had arrived 3-4 days prior to me calling so it wasn't like they arrived that day.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they may have changed how the system works but it's still there. it's a government mandate to be in them, or so I am told. personally hate the system and will disable it as soon as a module is built by auto stop eliminator.
I don't think it's a government mandate, the new Tacoma does not have start stop on the 4x4 models. I believe manufacturers use it to help thier C02 numbers and MPG numbers.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
they may have changed how the system works but it's still there. it's a government mandate to be in them, or so I am told. personally hate the system and will disable it as soon as a module is built by auto stop eliminator.
There is no government mandate or law there is no requirement to have a start/stop system.
I thought with the Hurricane that were doing away with the stop/start BS.
Nope they kept it but made it rougher as they removed the eTorque system so now you just drain your 12v battery and use your normal alternator and starter motor to resume, so expect to burn through 12v batteries even faster then people in 2019s.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I don't think it's a government mandate, the new Tacoma does not have start stop on the 4x4 models. I believe manufacturers use it to help thier C02 numbers and MPG numbers.
thats Interesting. I have been told, grant you by salesman of multiple auto brands that it is a government mandate. I have never really researched it though except how to disable it. :cool::cool:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no government mandate or law there is no requirement to have a start/stop system.

Nope they kept it but made it rougher as they removed the eTorque system so now you just drain your 12v battery and use your normal alternator and starter motor to resume, so expect to burn through 12v batteries even faster then people in 2019s.
It doesn't "drain" the 12v battery, and won't effect battery life.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It doesn't "drain" the 12v battery, and won't effect battery life.
Are we talking about the same truck guy?
If your engine shuts off due to start/stop what do you think is sending electricity to all the components still running? 12v batteries don't like to get drained very low and over time with enough traffic/stop and go you can drain it and keep reducing it's lifespan.
eTorque helped to keep the battery topped off but now it's just the alternator on the 25, in addition to needing to use the starter to resume vs the eTorque battery.

Serpens

Reaction score
The battery management software should be sophisticated enough to prevent excessive 12v drain. My BMW's battery lasted 7 years (supplied by Varta) before needing replacement. I knew the battery was starting to get weak because the car stopped engaging the stop/start function altogether months before the battery died. As soon as I got a new battery it started engaging again on a regular basis.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The battery management software should be sophisticated enough to prevent excessive 12v drain. My BMW's battery lasted 7 years (supplied by Varta) before needing replacement. I knew the battery was starting to get weak because the car stopped engaging the stop/start function altogether months before the battery died. As soon as I got a new battery it started engaging again on a regular basis.
5th Gen rams are not known for their good quality 12v batteries. The 2019 folks will liley have much to say about a getting 7 years from their oem battery. I got under 2 years on my oem battery before I had to replace it and my truck was a custom order and never sat around which seems online with a ton of others.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5th Gen rams are not known for their good quality 12v batteries. The 2019 folks will liley have much to say about a getting 7 years from their oem battery. I got under 2 years on my oem battery before I had to replace it and my truck was a custom order and never sat around which seems online with a ton of others.
My 2019 was customer ordered as well, I am on my second replacement battery. I don't think it's the battery itself but possibly the way the etorque charges it. Other issue could be the hot engine compartment, the engine compartment seems to get way hotter then other vehicle and all my temps are perfectly fine.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Mine was custom ordered, it's now 5 years old with 60,000 miles and still original.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Your BMW's battery management system was sophisticated enough to know that the start/stop function was dangerously increasing the the work load on the battery, that's why it wouldn't allow it to engage the S/S function until you replaced the battery.
I used to be a technician for BMW in the early 2000's and attended very informative training in Atlanta. Those cars (like all modern cars now) were notoriously hard on the charging systems. We consistently had to tell owners that their $75,000 purchase required either longer highway drives or nighty trickle charging.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same truck guy?
If your engine shuts off due to start/stop what do you think is sending electricity to all the components still running? 12v batteries don't like to get drained very low and over time with enough traffic/stop and go you can drain it and keep reducing it's lifespan.
eTorque helped to keep the battery topped off but now it's just the alternator on the 25, in addition to needing to use the starter to resume vs the eTorque battery.
You have to constantly be driving in stop and go traffic. Also, if it's anything like my wife's Traverse, you have to get above 25mph before the start/stop will engage at next stop. Going on almost 5 years in her car with start/stop and still factory battery. The charging system monitor will prevent excessive discharge and restart the truck, even when sitting at a light, and not allow the engine to shut off if battery is low. I can sit in my truck for over 1/2 hour with key on/engine off and not have any issues with starting. A couple minutes at a stop light isn't going to hurt anything. You are over dramatizing a system you don't fully understand.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have to constantly be driving in stop and go traffic. Also, if it's anything like my wife's Traverse, you have to get above 25mph before the start/stop will engage at next stop. Going on almost 5 years in her car with start/stop and still factory battery. The charging system monitor will prevent excessive discharge and restart the truck, even when sitting at a light, and not allow the engine to shut off if battery is low. I can sit in my truck for over 1/2 hour with key on/engine off and not have any issues with starting. A couple minutes at a stop light isn't going to hurt anything. You are over dramatizing a system you don't fully understand.
The only time the auto start stop is of any value is in constant stop and go traffic.
You saying another manufacturer does it better does nothing to help Ram.
You are also running a more systems while the truck is running with A/SS engaged then just putting it on run.

People will buy what they buy, but the A/SS system for Ram or their lack of quality and right sized batteries seems to cause problems. Maybe that will be better on the 2025s, only time will tell, not anyone debating on the internet.

I and many others have gotten stuck replacing what should be essentially new batteries on our 1500s for no good reason except battery quality or poor design or both.

Serpens

Reaction score

Right, my point is that's not a start/stop system problem, it's a RAM using crappy batteries problem. That's why I mentioned my BMW's battery was a Varta.
Your BMW's battery management system was sophisticated enough to know that the start/stop function was dangerously increasing the the work load on the battery, that's why it wouldn't allow it to engage the S/S function until you replaced the battery.
I used to be a technician for BMW in the early 2000's and attended very informative training in Atlanta. Those cars (like all modern cars now) were notoriously hard on the charging systems. We consistently had to tell owners that their $75,000 purchase required either longer highway drives or nighty trickle charging.

Yeah...that's exactly what I said lol. The battery clearly wasn't able to handle it in its old age. Things have progressed since the early 2000s by the way, mine is used almost exclusively for 5mi jaunts back and forth from the gym and grocery store. 2020- late 2021 it was only used every 2 weeks for a 15mi drive around town. Battery didn't die until last year. I have a Mercedes convertible that gets used even less and it's 4 years old on the original battery with no trickle charge. It only gets used about 3 times a month in the winter.

PetePA

Reaction score
The only time the auto start stop is of any value is in constant stop and go traffic.

I bet they design how this works specific to how the EPA tests run in order to get the best results on both MPG and emissions.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 with no Start Stop and my battery still died at around 3 years of use.

Users who are viewing this thread