5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Might have to get one of those from Lowe’s tomorrow. Thanks man

waterhamhawk

Reaction score
There is a nut under the handle that’s called a packing nut. If the leak is coming from there. You will need to remove the handle to get to the nut. You may only need to turn the nut less than a 1/4 turn. That should stop the leak. Easy to do, just a pain to get too. You may want to leave the handle off and just use a small crescent wrench to actuate the valve. That way if it leaks again, just tighten some more. Hope that helps

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Been using this one for close to 2 years without issue.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Question, won’t the 3/4 inlet of that valve stretch the 5/8 hose? I wouldn’t want to have any trouble putting it back to normal for the dealer. Thanks

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question, won’t the 3/4 inlet of that valve stretch the 5/8 hose? I wouldn’t want to have any trouble putting it back to normal for the dealer. Thanks
Definitely not stretching. Just slides on. I did it based on other forum members and figured it must work. Luckily it do

U

User_3336

Harbor freight clamps. Cheap and does the truck.

However, on a 2021 (may 21 manufacture date), the issue appears to be fixed. 40 degree vent temps, and after a while I just have to turn the a/c off.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got the clamps at oreilly. They’re pretty good. The other valve definitely was leaking under the valve handle by the threads. Hope I get the 40 degree temps. Even 50 would be nice.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Been using this one for close to 2 years without issue.

Hey I just ordered this one you have. Did you use 5/8” heater hose with it ? What’s the diameter inside diameter of the trucks heater hose ? It’s 5/8” also . Just want to clarify. I love my 2019 Ram 2500 , 6.4. It’s just the AC. It will start cold 38 degrees out of vent then rise to 50. Thank you for your assistance

Bluejoe

Reaction score
As others said, to a point. The truck can blow outside-air temp air (or close to it), but it won't blow much hotter, as it won't have hot coolant to give it anything in the heater core.

To keep some flow in the heater core, but give me better A/C temps until I get the TSB done someday, I turn my valve to somewhere between 25%-50% open (or 50%-75% closed, however you want to say it). This allows some flow into the heater core, which in theory is good for it, but restricts it enough it doesn't get as hot as it would otherwise. I believe this is talked about earlier in the thread, although it may be many pages ago.
Hello Did you get the update installed if so how is the AC ? Thank you

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Been out of the loop for a while, just got my truck a month or so ago... Does this mean there's no need to 'hack' the 21's? Not terribly impressed with my 2021 EcoDiesel's AC, honestly.
Hello How is your AC since your truck since yours supposedly has updated HVAC box. Have you tested temps coming out of vents ? Thanks

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey I just ordered this one you have. Did you use 5/8” heater hose with it ? What’s the diameter inside diameter of the trucks heater hose ? It’s 5/8” also . Just want to clarify. I love my 2019 Ram 2500 , 6.4. It’s just the AC. It will start cold 38 degrees out of vent then rise to 50. Thank you for your assistance
Yes, used 5/8 heater hose. They sell it by the foot at advanced and o'reilly's.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got a little jealous of you guys with your quarter turn ball valves, but as I said before, I'm paranoid about brass and our coolant. So I found a stainless steel quarter turn ball valve and ordered it.

Received it last week, went to install it this weekend, and I found that my "regular" style supposed coolant valve was leaking from the top. Good thing I ordered the new valve.
1626749029988.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got a little jealous of you guys with your quarter turn ball valves, but as I said before, I'm paranoid about brass and our coolant. So I found a stainless steel quarter turn ball valve and ordered it.

Received it last week, went to install it this weekend, and I found that my "regular" style supposed coolant valve was leaking from the top. Good thing I ordered the new valve.
View attachment 100417
Same thing happened to me with my “heater control valve” from advance auto. Those are a POS. Ball valve is the way to go

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Based on everything I've read so far, not sure I want to chance the dealership maybe not re-assembling the dash components correctly for a TSB that may or may not improve AC performance as well as the "Hack" does. Sounds like too much of a gamble.

That being said, I would still like to be able to open/close heated water supply to the heater core on the fly and without having to stop, pop the hood and adjust the valve. Has anyone here actually installed some type of 12 volt heater shut-off valve with an on/off switch in the cabin? I've seen the recommendations in previous posts for the Vintage Air servo units, but wanted to know if anyone had actually installed one and where did they tap in for power, preferably power with ignition only.

Kind Regards,
Lou

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the cheap Advance Auto valve on mine for two years and it's been awesome. I just had the AC TSB done and it's made almost as much difference. That combined with the cheap valve now leaking has me planning on completely removing the valve tomorrow.

Prior to the valve, I'd notice at stoplights (I have ETorque) that the air would quickly get warmer causing the truck to restart to cool again. After the valve it would sit at lights not running and blowing cool for over two minutes. That showed how much heat leakage there was in the original HVAC box.

Now that I've had the TSB done, I'm getting basically the same effect at lights with the valve open, not to mention it's blowing much colder.

Users who are viewing this thread