5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Using the left center stack as a guide, outside air speed 4, it went from 52 (open) to 42 (closed). Adjusting the ball valve is a little touchy but at around 95% closed I still get some heat on chilly mornings and 44 at the vent

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
don’t have hose pinchers, but I’m about to test this with a pair of small needle nose vice grips. we’re in the 90’s here and had the AC on full blast for at least 20 minutes to be comfortable today.
Would that work?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would work, but be careful.

You are already degrading the hose (however slight) by crimping it. Depending what jaws are on your Vise Grips you might damage the casing of the hose.

If you are going to test it out with the Vise Grips I recommend using a rag around the hose when you clamp it to make sure you don't cut or damage the hose.

Just my .02

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what I did. I see what you are saying. I will get something like a rag to protect the hose. The AC was ice cold this morning during my drive. However, it was only 81 degrees. 72A8B084-1BA2-4F6F-9387-8D31DBBD42A0.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That would work, but be careful.

You are already degrading the hose (however slight) by crimping it. Depending what jaws are on your Vise Grips you might damage the casing of the hose.

If you are going to test it out with the Vise Grips I recommend using a rag around the hose when you clamp it to make sure you don't cut or damage the hose.

Just my .02
Understood. I just checked and there are some teeth marks on the hose. I wrapped it in a rag to be safe.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I did. I see what you are saying. I will get something like a rag to protect the hose. The AC was ice cold this morning during my drive. However, it was only 81 degrees.
My A/C loses its luster starting around 75F outside if the sun is out. :(

socalboy951

Reaction score
Why would they charge $100 for a TSB service even if they deny it? I use the clamp and take it off in the winter, reinstall in summer. Not a big hassle as I check air filter etc. at the same time. Not worried about hose failure at all.
what kinda clamp u use can u post a pic???

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just made my own too. My truck goes in on June 29th. Using the valve until then, but gonna take it off before bringing the truck

Attachments

• DE70EBCE-9018-4E73-BC10-A1D71FFA1E7A.jpeg
    DE70EBCE-9018-4E73-BC10-A1D71FFA1E7A.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 147

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just made my own too. My truck goes in on June 29th. Using the valve until then, but gonna take it off before bringing the truck

That is the same valve I purchased. Supposedly all steel. A bit more work to open/close, especially partly open/close, compared to the quarter turn ball valves, but still minimal effort.

I am sure I am being nitpicky, but the side effects I've heard that HOAT or our OAT coolant can have with brass makes me wary of the brass valves for this "hack." I've never heard of any of us having any issues with it, to be clear, but there may be a reason why the little turn-style valve sold at auto parts stores is steel rather than brass.

But I'm probably just overthinking it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea I agree. This valve is listed as “heater control valve” at the store so it’s made for it.

1500DFW

Reaction score
I did my own, but I would have bought this if it was available at the time

I bought this off Amazon. Little pricey but not too much more expensive than to buy everything at Home Depot especially since I didn’t need extra hose or clamps. Took 10 mins to install. AC works great now in this Texas heat. Prior I would be sweating while driving.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I just noticed my advance auto valve is leaking at the stem. How disappointing. Not even a month old!!
Been using this one for close to 2 years without issue.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread