5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Me to the List: Water Leaking

Smokediver169

Reaction score
My dealer doesn't have a body shop. They sent it out to a body shop that I think is connected somehow to the Chevy dealer in the area.
Hey guys, had some time today, so I took apart the entire driver side floor and fender. Ran some water via hose down the A-post side of the windshield, and found the water following the drain from the front hood area, down and out as it should be. Turns out, there was a small gap in the frame weld, the water was getting into, behind the weather stripping. Once I exposed the area I could literally see the water droplets entering, riding down the frame weld, and pooling beneath the wiring harness, and pooling under the driver side floor mat. I will be taking some detailed pictures and adding to the sub forum, I just wanted to give you guys an update and thanks for the heads up. Honestly, some sealant will fix it right up, but I already have an appointment with my dealership and I’m going to have them do it so it’s documented. Now I just have an area to show them. Hopefully this fixes it. Thanks again.

-E

2020 Ram Laramie - 09-19 build date.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
add me to the list. Rear window leak. Passenger side. Dealer had to replace the rear window. Tried my best to clean and dry the carpet but they still smell. Going back to the dealer as now my rear defroster doesn’t work and hopefully replace the carpet.

Hey guys, had some time today, so I took apart the entire driver side floor and fender. Ran some water via hose down the A-post side of the windshield, and found the water following the drain from the front hood area, down and out as it should be. Turns out, there was a small gap in the frame weld, the water was getting into, behind the weather stripping. Once I exposed the area I could literally see the water droplets entering, riding down the frame weld, and pooling beneath the wiring harness, and pooling under the driver side floor mat. I will be taking some detailed pictures and adding to the sub forum, I just wanted to give you guys an update and thanks for the heads up. Honestly, some sealant will fix it right up, but I already have an appointment with my dealership and I’m going to have them do it so it’s documented. Now I just have an area to show them. Hopefully this fixes it. Thanks again.

-E

Hi Quicker10u & Smokediver169,

I regret to hear that you both are experiencing similar concerns with your trucks. Please know that we would be more than happy to get this formally documented for you within our internal system, as well as connect you both with case managers who can work alongside your dealers to ensure that all potential solutions are explored for this concern. We are just a PM away to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares

Quicker10u

Reaction score
Hi Quicker10u & Smokediver169,

I regret to hear that you both are experiencing similar concerns with your trucks. Please know that we would be more than happy to get this formally documented for you within our internal system, as well as connect you both with case managers who can work alongside your dealers to ensure that all potential solutions are explored for this concern. We are just a PM away to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares

Thank you @RamCares. I got Dan Ward, my service advisor at Peacock Ram (Hardeeville, SC)to get it taken care of for me. I had to do some sweet talking to make it happen, but they are ordering my new carpet and will install it when it gets in. Apparently they forgot to plug in the Rear Window Defroster when they replaced the assembly. I would love to document this though in case of any future issues. Thanks again.

Ken Adams

RamCares

Reaction score
Thank you @RamCares. I got Dan Ward, my service advisor at Peacock Ram (Hardeeville, SC)to get it taken care of for me. I had to do some sweet talking to make it happen, but they are ordering my new carpet and will install it when it gets in. Apparently they forgot to plug in the Rear Window Defroster when they replaced the assembly. I would love to document this though in case of any future issues. Thanks again.

Ken Adams

Hi Ken,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer is taking care of this for you! I would be more than happy to document this concern within a case for you. Please follow up with me via private message when you can.

Mark
RamCares

derp

Reaction score

-E

yep, thats also a known thing. search on here for pinch weld leak

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-E

They have the bulletin for the fix as well.

TheTank

Reaction score
Mine seems to be leaking on the driver's side only. I haven't heard of any leaking on the passenger's side yet.

Cheers
Gerry

Recalls are usually only done when the manufacturers are forced to due to safety issues. This issue probably won't get escalated to recall status unless the possibility of mold issues can be escalated to a safety issue. I think this will be a case by case warrantee issue. I think the proper fix will be expensive and a cheap temp fix will be employed.

I'm wondering if this problem is quad cab only or both. Mine is a quad.

Cheers
Gerry
I have a 2019 Laramie - CrewCab, same issue!!! In shop now for third time

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie - CrewCab, same issue!!! In shop now for third time

I regret to hear that! Our team would be happy to discuss this further if you need assistance while there. Just send us a private message to start.

Kate
RamCares

Ultra-Harley

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Laramie. Build date 6/20 . I have the drivers side leak. Its running into the fender and out of the wiring harness push grommet onto the floor. Made appointment with dealership. Go in next Tuesday. They say they have an independent guy who repairs all their water leaks. Showed the service advisor/appointment taker the S1923999926 bulletin.
He said he's never seen the water leak problem before.....yeah, sure.........
Tempted to pull the fender and do it myself...at least I would know it was done correctly.

TheTank

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram Laramie. Build date 6/20 . I have the drivers side leak. Its running into the fender and out of the wiring harness push grommet onto the floor. Made appointment with dealership. Go in next Tuesday. They say they have an independent guy who repairs all their water leaks. Showed the service advisor/appointment taker the S1923999926 bulletin.
Tempted to pull the fender and do it myself...at least I would know it was done correctly.
I had the EXACT same issue with my 2019 Laramie; I ended up having FCA buying the vehicle back from me. Behind the front drivers side fender, there was a faulty seam. On the third attempt to resolve they finally found it and patched it up with a putty type compound. In my opinion it was more of a patch job, than a permanent repair, however a buddy of mine told me it's very strong (and a bit flexible), and designed to last 25+ years. I then noticed they use this same compound all under the truck. Maybe it's better than weld, who knows? I then ended up buying a 2020 Rebel, with a few additional upgrades; absolutely love it. Went from the 8.4C w/ NAV to the 12" display. It's not perfect, as at times it could be flaky, but overall I love it. Good luck w/ the repair. My dealer would only continually to dry out all of the carpet, when I asked for replacement carpet. I hired an on-line attorney, and got all of my money back on the truck, well most of it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the contact details of the online attorney? I have a feeling he will become a very, very busy man!!!! Or woman!!!!

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi @Ultra-Harley - I regret that you even have to experience this concern. If it would be of interest, our team is a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf to a case manager who can work alongside both you and your dealer while your truck is in service.

Mark
RamCares

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
After looking at it for a few minutes, while consuming a few bottles of good German beer, ( I'll look at it again later) it appears that the leak fills up that first depression in the floor pan next to the door and then runs over to the adjacent depressions. I'll test that theory and look at it more closely in the morning, but if true, I might be able to keep the carpet dry by simply drilling a drain hole in the lowest part of that first depression.
Not the best solution, I agree and it would be the last resort if the dealer can't get the leak fixed satisfactorily.

Cheers,
Gerry
I had to drill holes in the front floorboard of my 1969 VW Bug convertible to keep the water from sloshing into my shoes when I came to a stop.... Didn't expect I'd need to do that with the Ram :)

ec135what

Reaction score
Just bought my first Ram/ Mopar vehicle. 2020 1500 Laramie Sport and now have 3,000 miles. My carpet below my Right- rear seat and floor mat are soaked. Love the truck, but EXTREMELY disappointed to have this KNOWN problem on a brand new truck with an MSRP of over $61K and NO RECALL HAS BEEN ISSUED? So, there are multiple points of water entry into the cabin? Rear window assembly, Center brake light assembly, Panoramic sunroof and the front windshield? I definitely do not want to take my truck back to the dealer just for them to keep it for a month, tear it apart, and not fix the issue correctly. I will most likely troubleshoot the source of the water myself, and properly fix this problem to make sure it gets done right. I don't have time to play dealership games. It just stinks that such an issue exists with a brand new vehicle. I hope Chrysler's Quality Assurance department is working to prevent this from happening in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread