5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Me to the List: Water Leaking

GerryS

Reaction score

5/19 build.
I was hoping that by ordering late I could avoid some of these problems. I guess the factory still hasn't fixed the water leak problem.
However, everything else works, and the AC is more than adequate on my Ram!

Showed the Service Writer the video. She wants me to show the video to the service manager when I show up for my appointment on Monday.

Wonder how they are going to go about fixing it...

Cheers
Gerry

GerryS

Reaction score
That blows. Pinch weld. They can try welding that entire area I guess. Someone else here did it themself using some jbweld I believe and it sealed it up nicely. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Welding along that seam may not be the best solution though. Any water stuck in there could freeze and force the joint to open up.
I wonder what's under that strip on the roof. If they can peel that off and find a spot up there to seal off where the water enters that area, it would be the best solution.

My first test was with the hose laying on the windshield wiper area, and it didn't leak, so the water is coming in from farther up.

Gerry

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welding along that seam may not be the best solution though. Any water stuck in there could freeze and force the joint to open up.
I wonder what's under that strip on the roof. If they can peel that off and find a spot up there to seal off where the water enters that area, it would be the best solution.

My first test was with the hose laying on the windshield wiper area, and it didn't leak, so the water is coming in from farther up.

Gerry

Good point. But if you don’t fill the entire gap, just the front of the seam, I would think it would create an interior channel and run down and out. Maybe? It would need somewhere to go. I agree though that addressing it from above is preferred. It might also be entering at a point close to where the windshield meets that corner. Water runs down and is supposed to channel along certain lines. There must be a breach in that area. Probably hard to find without pulling too many things apart unless you get lucky and it’s obvious. That’s why at the end of the day it might be easier to just seal that door a bit and try to channel it further down and out.

westcoast

Reaction score
So do they have a certain known group of trucks that leak? Did trucks that sat on the lot get fixed/checked by dealers?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll add that to my checklist when mine gets here next week .. (It is at the local rail yard and just needs to be hauled to my dealer) ..
thanks for the very specific video information!!

Tim N

REMINDS ME: decades ago when HARLEY DAVIDSON redid their entire workforce .. ANY person on the Assy Line could hit the pretty red STOP button if they saw stuff like this .. FCA/RAM needs to do the same to keep them on top (I was a Chevy guy growing up .. up until just a few years ago when I leased my Durango R/T .. only Ford I owned was my '99 Cobra with a modified engine .. I'm now a converted MOPAR person!)

GerryS

Reaction score
After looking at it for a few minutes, while consuming a few bottles of good German beer, ( I'll look at it again later) it appears that the leak fills up that first depression in the floor pan next to the door and then runs over to the adjacent depressions. I'll test that theory and look at it more closely in the morning, but if true, I might be able to keep the carpet dry by simply drilling a drain hole in the lowest part of that first depression.
Not the best solution, I agree and it would be the last resort if the dealer can't get the leak fixed satisfactorily.

Cheers,
Gerry

GerryS

Reaction score
So do they have a certain known group of trucks that leak? Did trucks that sat on the lot get fixed/checked by dealers?
No, there is not a certain known group. I doubt that trucks on the lot get fixed unless the carpet is obviously wet and someone sees it. There is someone else on this forum that videoed their leak, and it was substantially like mine. I don't know that person's build date though.

Cheers,
Gerry

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... wondering if the windshield were lifted up if the "rail" could be sealed better (no welding needed) .. keep the water up top instead of getting down into the welded seams?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

5/19 build.
I was hoping that by ordering late I could avoid some of these problems. I guess the factory still hasn't fixed the water leak problem.
However, everything else works, and the AC is more than adequate on my Ram!

Showed the Service Writer the video. She wants me to show the video to the service manager when I show up for my appointment on Monday.

Wonder how they are going to go about fixing it...
Al
Cheers
Gerry
What alerted you to a problem? Did you notice your drivers side carpet wet? Did you check the passenger side? What were the test results for the passenger side?

GerryS

Reaction score
I'll add that to my checklist when mine gets here next week .. (It is at the local rail yard and just needs to be hauled to my dealer) ..
thanks for the very specific video information!!

Tim N

REMINDS ME: decades ago when HARLEY DAVIDSON redid their entire workforce .. ANY person on the Assy Line could hit the pretty red STOP button if they saw stuff like this .. FCA/RAM needs to do the same to keep them on top (I was a Chevy guy growing up .. up until just a few years ago when I leased my Durango R/T .. only Ford I owned was my '99 Cobra with a modified engine .. I'm now a converted MOPAR person!)
Yeah, I have a couple of old Corvettes, and back when they built them, they performed the water leak test before the interior soft goods were installed, for good reason... I have been a Chevy/GM guy growing up too. Never considered a Dodge. Then a few things happened.
1st, My brother in law got a used Rebel, I forgot the year, but it was real nice!
2nd, GM decided to close factories in the US after we bailed them out. Never visited their dealership.
3rd, The local Ford dealer was having a big sale, but it was mostly a used inventory sale, and they didn't seem interested in selling new vehicles that day.
4th The Ram dealer was across the street from the Ford dealer.

So, here we are!

Cheers
Gerry

GerryS

Reaction score
What alerted you to a problem? Did you notice your drivers side carpet wet? Did you check the passenger side? What were the test results for the passenger side?
I was alerted to this problem after seeing someone else's thread in this forum that showed a video of the exact same leak. The first day it rained after I bought the truck, I decided to check to see if mine leaked. After pulling out the rubber mats, the carpet seemed slightly damp on the driver's side, so I pulled the trim and carpet up, and the back of the carpet was wet. Not soaking wet. The floorboard had some drops of water in many of the depressions going all the way towards the center console, but in no way were they full of water. But I did find a nut that probably was supposed to be mated with the stud on the firewall that had no nut on it. I reunited them.
The push pins that hold the carpet came out much easier on the driver's side than the passengers side. Maybe the dealer found and dried the carpet before delivery? If so, they must have moved fast because I picked it up the day it was delivered. (I did notice when I picked it up, it was driven to the front, and the salesman went out and then the truck left and the salesman came back. He said they were going to fill it with gas, but it took a looong time for that to happen) And it sat for a month at the factory lot before getting shipped to the dealer, so it might have gotten soaked there.

I stuck my hand under the passenger side carpet, and it felt dry. I didn't do the water test on the passenger side. But now that you asked, I will pull the weather strip and see how the pinch weld looks in comparison to the driver's side.

Cheers
Gerry

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was alerted to this problem after seeing someone else's thread in this forum that showed a video of the exact same leak. The first day it rained after I bought the truck, I decided to check to see if mine leaked. After pulling out the rubber mats, the carpet seemed slightly damp on the driver's side, so I pulled the trim and carpet up, and the back of the carpet was wet. Not soaking wet. The floorboard had some drops of water in many of the depressions going all the way towards the center console, but in no way were they full of water.
The push pins that hold the carpet came out much easier on the driver's side than the passengers side. Maybe the dealer found and dried the carpet before delivery? If so, they must have moved fast because I picked it up the day it was delivered. (I did notice when I picked it up, it was driven to the front, and the salesman went out and then the truck left and the salesman came back. He said they were going to fill it with gas, but it took a looong time for that to happen) And it sat for a month at the factory lot before getting shipped to the dealer, so it might have gotten soaked there.

I stuck my hand under the passenger side carpet, and it felt dry. I didn't do the water test on the passenger side. But now that you asked, I will pull the weather strip and see how the pinch weld looks in comparison to the driver's side.

Cheers
Gerry
Thanks and if you do run the test on the passenger side please post your results.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Well add me to the list. It rained hard today for the first time I have had the truck (got it 2 weeks ago) and upon getting in it today noticed a wet towel like smell. As leaving the driveway I could hear water sloshing, so I backed up and had a look. Noticed the carpet was wet under the rubber mat, pulled up the plastic trim and was shocked to find a pool of water and a soaking wet foam liner thing.
NOT impressed. It had only rained for an hour or so hard too - imagine if it was raining for a few days! So now in this heat I assume mold will start to grow. Too hot to drive with the windows down and it won't fit in my garage to park it with the windows open. This truck has been nothing but issues. My 5th RAM and the only one that has been plagued with issues.

GerryS

Reaction score
Well add me to the list. It rained hard today for the first time I have had the truck (got it 2 weeks ago) and upon getting in it today noticed a wet towel like smell. As leaving the driveway I could hear water sloshing, so I backed up and had a look. Noticed the carpet was wet under the rubber mat, pulled up the plastic trim and was shocked to find a pool of water and a soaking wet foam liner thing.
NOT impressed. It had only rained for an hour or so hard too - imagine if it was raining for a few days! So now in this heat I assume mold will start to grow. Too hot to drive with the windows down and it won't fit in my garage to park it with the windows open. This truck has been nothing but issues. My 5th RAM and the only one that has been plagued with issues.
Sorry to hear it. Did you order yours, or did you buy it off the lot? If you got it off the lot, what was the build date? If you could hear water sloshing, you must either have a giant leak, or it was on the lot collecting water for a while before you bought it.

Cheers
Gerry

RAMpage

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. Did you order yours, or did you buy it off the lot? If you got it off the lot, what was the build date? If you could hear water sloshing, you must either have a giant leak, or it was on the lot collecting water for a while before you bought it.

Cheers
Gerry

Off the lot (well the dealer had to bring it in from another dealer out of town). Build date 11-18.

westcoast

Reaction score
So with this known problem shouldnt dodge be recalling all RAMs to do a check/fix of this issue?

GerryS

Reaction score
Off the lot (well the dealer had to bring it in from another dealer out of town). Build date 11-18.
Mine seems to be leaking on the driver's side only. I haven't heard of any leaking on the passenger's side yet.

Cheers
Gerry
So with this known problem shouldnt dodge be recalling all RAMs to do a check/fix of this issue?
Recalls are usually only done when the manufacturers are forced to due to safety issues. This issue probably won't get escalated to recall status unless the possibility of mold issues can be escalated to a safety issue. I think this will be a case by case warrantee issue. I think the proper fix will be expensive and a cheap temp fix will be employed.

I'm wondering if this problem is quad cab only or both. Mine is a quad.

Cheers
Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread