5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Ok so the install is complete, loving it so far. I have SiriusXM, Travel link and navigation and the wifi hotspot going. I assume the wifi is a trial as is Sirius. Has anyone been able to get guardian and uconnect services working or is that only for original equipment? I’m coming from a 8.4 non nav. Lady at a dealership said the could flash the radio to my vin and thought that would/should work but haven’t set that up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Well never mind on the GPS , tried typing in an address and it says searching offline.

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I have successfully converted from 8.4 non Nav. to 12. Everything is working. Dual climate control, ( which I had before), Sirius XM changed over to the new Radio ID, working with travel link and traffic. Navigation is working perfectly. Everything is just like OEM. Also, installed the trailer brake controller while I had everything apart. Everything works.:LOL:
Now, I have a 8.4 non Nav. complete with bezel on my hand.

Attachments

• 20210516_140647.jpg
    20210516_140647.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210516_140829.jpg
    20210516_140829.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210516_140607.jpg
    20210516_140607.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 116

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have successfully converted from 8.4 non Nav. to 12. Everything is working. Dual climate control, ( which I had before), Sirius XM changed over to the new Radio ID, working with travel link and traffic. Navigation is working perfectly. Everything is just like OEM. Also, installed the trailer brake controller while I had everything apart. Everything works.:LOL:
Looks great!

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Did mine this weekend too, working well so far. To make Travellink and traffic work you need the wireless antennas correct?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Yes you do, you also have to activate travel link in the bcm
Also have to subscribe to something through Sirius/have the at&t service to make it work? I should just leave well enough alone....but so easy to add a couple more things....

Evank33

Reaction score
Also have to subscribe to something through Sirius/have the at&t service to make it work? I should just leave well enough alone....but so easy to add a couple more things....
You need at&t for the Hotspot, I think 20$ a month for unlimited data, travel link is through xm same as guardian

Thomas1023

Reaction score
You need at&t for the Hotspot, I think 20$ a month for unlimited data, travel link is through xm same as guardian

I have at&t and the hotspot doesn’t work. When I connect to the wifi I’m prompted to enter my vin and it says my vin isn’t valid prob Bc I came from a non nav. I have travel link working but no luck w guardian

Bsaylor

Reaction score
I have at&t and the hotspot doesn’t work. When I connect to the wifi I’m prompted to enter my vin and it says my vin isn’t valid prob Bc I came from a non nav. I have travel link working but no luck w guardian

I was told that because I had the non nav to begin with I couldn’t get guardian, I did have Sirius update my radio I’d and got the travel link as well. I have the wifi working (turned on wifi on the bcm) but like you can activate with my vin. We also have AT&T for wireless. I am going to a dealership to have the radio flashed to my vin hopefully this week sometime. Whether it will work or not I do not know.

Thomas1023

Reaction score
I was told that because I had the non nav to begin with I couldn’t get guardian, I did have Sirius update my radio I’d and got the travel link as well. I have the wifi working (turned on wifi on the bcm) but like you can activate with my vin. I am going to a dealership to have the radio flashed to my vin hopefully this week sometime. Whether it will work or not I do not know.

Let me know if it works because I was told the same thing. I also updated my radio Id, talked to dealer, Sirius, uconnect, guardian and Mopar support all said it couldn’t be done. even if you look at the kit on infotainment it says it won’t come w guardian Bc it’s missing parts from the factory. The wifi worked for like the first week but as soon as I enabled it in alphaobd I was getting prompted to make an account w at&t every time I try connecting to it instead of instantly connecting like I did before. When i try to make an account it says my vin is missing. Nav is also offline. Travel link works good. Probably just going to add viper remote start since I only want guardian to start my car from my phone.

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Let me know if it works because I was told the same thing. I also updated my radio Id, talked to dealer, Sirius, uconnect, guardian and Mopar support all said it couldn’t be done. even if you look at the kit on infotainment it says it won’t come w guardian Bc it’s missing parts from the factory. The wifi worked for like the first week but as soon as I enabled it in alphaobd I was getting prompted to make an account w at&t every time I try connecting to it instead of instantly connecting like I did before. When i try to make an account it says my vin is missing. Nav is also offline. Travel link works good. Probably just going to add viper remote start since I only want guardian to start my car from my phone.

Will do. The nav is working on mine, however when I do a search is says “searching offline” but will still get an address and bring up the route. No clue there lol.

Thomas1023

Reaction score
Will do. The nav is working on mine, however when I do a search is says “searching offline” but will still get an address and bring up the route. No clue there lol.

Yeah that’s what I mean by it being offline. I tried searching my friends address and it didn’t pop up no matter what I tried. It’s not even a new house either. Guess when you search offline you’re limited to what addresses you can actually navigate to.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I mean by it being offline. I tried searching my friends address and it didn’t pop up no matter what I tried. It’s not even a new house either. Guess when you search offline you’re limited to what addresses you can actually navigate to.

This Nav system doesn't have any new addresses from 2017-present. It's helpless... I live in a new area of Arizona and its always looking like i'm driving through the forest :LOL:

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
People that have travel link working have you used the mopar parts on the previous page or did you use something else? Can we confirm that those are the correct parts?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

I ordered 3 of these. I heard they work flawlessly
You just connect two of these to the two additional, unused ports on the back of the module where there are 4 similar sized connections in a row? Where did you end up mounting them? (Picture added below)

afterwards you only have to enable travel link or is the traffic alert a separate activation?

sorry for the questions just hoping to get it done before a road trip next week.

Attachments

• F72D913D-9A1A-4CF7-8FB5-ACA46844C8DD.jpeg
    F72D913D-9A1A-4CF7-8FB5-ACA46844C8DD.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You just connect two of these to the two additional, unused ports on the back of the module? Where did you end up mounting them?

afterwards you only have to enable travel link or is the traffic alert a separate activation?

sorry for the questions just hoping to get it done before a road trip next week.
Travel link and traffic alerts are SiriusXM services, and have nothing to do with the missing WiFi/Bluetooth antenna (green connector on the radio module) or the cellular antenna (pink connector on the radio module). You already have the antenna necessary for the three SiriusXM subscription services, which is the mustard yellow connector on the back of the radio module.
The green connector is for WiFi/Bluetooth antenna, which is really only needed if you are activating the WiFi hotspot, or are Bluetoothing your phone to the radio, and having signal issues. The pink connector is on the radio module is for 4G, which in used for (but not necessarily needed) Sirius guardian services.
Traffic alerts is part of the travel link app, so once you enable the soft key on the radio, and you have an active subscription to them through SiriusXM, you’ll be able to use the app on the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread