5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey what’s up fellas I also am trying to upgrade from the 8.4 to the 12 on my 1500 bighorn any suggestions on where to go to purchase everything or should I just call the dealer? Infotainment is way too damn high

Another member used MVI Inc. and said he is very happy with the upgrade. $2,400 for everything plus he said he got $600 back for turning in his 8.4 screen so $1,800 all said and done. This is who I will probably use when I upgrade. Their website sucks but here is their facebook site, you have to scroll down a bit to get to the 8.4 upgrade video.

Last edited:

bryant

Reaction score
Hey all,
New here. Looking to upgrade to the 12 inch screen but we have the 5 inch currently. Is that possible? (2019 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Tradesman)
I only see people upgrading from 5 to 8 and 8 to 12. Tried searching the forum but was unable to find the answer. Can we upgrade from 5 to 12?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Oz215

Reaction score
Another member used MVI Inc. and said he is very happy with the upgrade. $2,400 for everything plus he said he got $600 back for turning in his 8.4 screen so $1,800 all said and done. This is who I will probably use when I upgrade. Their website sucks but here is their facebook site, you have to scroll down a bit to get to the 8.4 upgrade video.

Thanks a lot man im on it now the website does suck tho man

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,
New here. Looking to upgrade to the 12 inch screen but we have the 5 inch currently. Is that possible? (2019 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Tradesman)
I only see people upgrading from 5 to 8 and 8 to 12. Tried searching the forum but was unable to find the answer. Can we upgrade from 5 to 12?
Thanks in advance.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't see why not. Call the guys over at infotainment, they will give you the answer for sure and probably try to take all your money haha.

bryant

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I don't see why not. Call the guys over at infotainment, they will give you the answer for sure and probably try to take all your money haha.
Alright, will give it a try. If its possible I can do it. Fairly techy here, just didn't want to go in over my head and try something that hasn't been done so I was hoping I could at least get a thumbs up from the pros here.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Thanks in advance.
Yes, many have gone from 5 to 12. If your current 5” radio is not capable at all of having SiriusXM, you will need a short coax fakra cable. In order for the climate controls on the 12” to work somewhat correctly, you will need to swap out your current solar sensor, and add the cabin temp sensor, which might need a custom harness built for it depending if the connector for it is present.

bryant

Reaction score
Yes, many have gone from 5 to 12. If your current 5” radio is not capable at all of having SiriusXM, you will need a short coax fakra cable. In order for the climate controls on the 12” to work somewhat correctly, you will need to swap out your current solar sensor, and add the cabin temp sensor, which might need a custom harness built for it depending if the connector for it is present.
don't have any interest in siruis so i'm not even sure if it's capable or not. you can make that harness right?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

pflores

Reaction score
Hi,
all parts are here, ordered from my local dealership, and picked up this morning, now its time to swap

Ugh, looks like the Multi Media Radio module 68317978AL is in backorder everywhere I've tried to get it from. Is there another part number/compatible MMR that I can use with this same screen (68312620AF) that anyone knows about?

Thanks!

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Ugh, looks like the Multi Media Radio module 68317978AL is in backorder everywhere I've tried to get it from. Is there another part number/compatible MMR that I can use with this same screen (68312620AF) that anyone knows about?

Thanks!
I asked the same question but didn't get a response back. I'd love to know what the latest modules are since I was told they're the ones that going to get the nice big android update and the first gens won't for some reason?

Mitchell68w

Reaction score
I asked the same question but didn't get a response back. I'd love to know what the latest modules are since I was told they're the ones that going to get the nice big android update and the first gens won't for some reason?
I have one
I currently have one i am willing to get rid of. I did the upgrade from the 5in to 12in and thought that the 68317978AL part was faulty. The dealership where i ordered it from would not accept returns due to covid so i ordered another from a different dealership. The issue i was having was there was no sound coming from my speakers when i plug in the new radio, 68317978AL. Everything else worked. The fix was to add resistors to my speakers as i added aftermarket speakers and amplifiers and its a fail safe mode that crystler radios do. Had i known this earlier i could have just done this before buying a second radio module. Either way its brand new and i would like to sell it. $700 plus shipping.

Mitchell68w

Reaction score
Anyone ran in to the issue that thier radio has no sound? Made the swap and have everything working except the sound. I ended up buying a second radio module as i was unsure if the first one was bad and due to covid the dealership would not accept the return. I also hooked back up my old radio and i get sound immediately. Looking for any advice
Found the fix if anyone else has this issue. Before making the swap i had upgraded my audio with aftermarket speakers, amplifiers and subwoofers. The fix is to add resistors to the speaker leads before the amplifiers to trick the radio into thinking the factory speakers are still attached (puts a certian load on the radio)(its a Chrysler failsafe mode). The resistors needed are 47 ohm 5 w and can be purchased from Amazon for around $5.

pflores

Reaction score
Found the fix if anyone else has this issue. Before making the swap i had upgraded my audio with aftermarket speakers, amplifiers and subwoofers. The fix is to add resistors to the speaker leads before the amplifiers to trick the radio into thinking the factory speakers are still attached (puts a certian load on the radio)(its a Chrysler failsafe mode). The resistors needed are 47 ohm 5 w and can be purchased from Amazon for around $5.

I ended up finding one module with the help of another member in this forum. Hope @HookedonRam can get this off your hands. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bbarker7

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Newbie here, but have been lurking for a while specifically on this thread as I'm looking to upgrade from the 8.4' to 12' screen. I have the non-navigation so was hoping to confirm that all I need are the 5 parts listed from the dealer, screws, and then a special harness? Once everything is connected it will boot up and function properly? No software configuration needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bram2019

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Newbie here, but have been lurking for a while specifically on this thread as I'm looking to upgrade from the 8.4' to 12' screen. I have the non-navigation so was hoping to confirm that all I need are the 5 parts listed from the dealer, screws, and then a special harness? Once everything is connected it will boot up and function properly? No software configuration needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You need to read this thread more thoroughly. It will need a software configuration using alfaobd. Getting the module right now is difficult. Bock ordered. Someone here is selling one.

Bbarker7

Reaction score
You need to read this thread more thoroughly. It will need a software configuration using alfaobd. Getting the module right now is difficult. Bock ordered. Someone here is selling one.
OK Thank you and will do. Good info and will do some more digging. Appreciate it!

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
I’m looking screen and module, if you now something please let me know

pflores

Reaction score
Finished my upgrade earlier this week. Very happy with the results. My Power Wagon now looks even better. Now if I could only upgrade something to improve its MPG :)

7c353602a427a5cb6e0aa111b364e614.jpg

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread