5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

WARLOCK2020

Reaction score
My new 2019 Laramie has the 8.4 navigation. I want to swap with navigation with this new 12 inch screen that i bought off of craigslist. I unscrewed the 8.4 inch navigation, and plugged in the new 12 inch navigation.. (all the original plugs, fit right into the new navigation... besides one....)

The screen doesnt come on, but everything else lights up. The parking sensor switches work as well. But the SCREEN doesnt turn on. Any suggestions... please lol
If you go on YOUTUBE and type "infotainment" it will bring you to the channel of the company that specializes in such a swap. They are the ones that actually supply all the parts and support for the 8.4 to 12 inch upgrade. Hope this can help.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go on YOUTUBE and type "infotainment" it will bring you to the channel of the company that specializes in such a swap. They are the ones that actually supply all the parts and support for the 8.4 to 12 inch upgrade. Hope this can help.

Nobody paying that extremely High price. Lmao that was suggested by someone with one post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogo725

Reaction score
Just finished the swap. Really straight forward. The only reason it took me a while is I had issues getting my windows AlfaOBD to connect to the OBDLink M+. Finally ran to Walmart and picked up a cheap android tablet. Then programming took all of 10 min including connecting the security bypass module. After programming I just pulled the radio fuse, waited 30 sec, put it back in and then fired her up. Heart skipped a beat when the screen briefly flashed “enter your anti theft code” but went right past that and booted up. As expected most of the truck options were not recognized but I power cycled once and everything came back.

One interesting thing of note. I have Sirius Guardian and really depend on it. So nice to be flying home in the winter and hit remote start on the phone while taxing to the gate and have a warm truck waiting. LOL. Anyway I discovered that the cell phone settings must be stored in a separate module because Sirius Guardian/uconnect remote still works! I can call Assist, SOS, and all remote functions still work. The Sirius XM radio ID did change but that’s just a matter of calling Sirius and having them update it. All in all it appears to be good to go. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. All your input made this really easy. Nice $1500 upgrade. Screw paying $4K from an unspoken online vendor. LOL (was that out loud?, sorry)
Did you just call your dealer and say, I’d like all the parts to convert to a 12” screen? I’m trying to upgrade my 8.4 to 12 and don’t really know where to get all the parts I need. I’m not paying infotainment and I already he. AlphaOBD.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you just call your dealer and say, I’d like all the parts to convert to a 12” screen? I’m trying to upgrade my 8.4 to 12 and don’t really know where to get all the parts I need. I’m not paying infotainment and I already he. AlphaOBD.
Read recommend reading through this thread(very long unfortunately)it will have a lot of useful information and part #'s for this conversion.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

redfishdude

Reaction score
F82FA296-6C71-47C7-84E0-087B4A0E9561.jpeg
I have not received my bezel yet, but I couldn’t wait. Got everything hooked up and programmed and working flawless. This thing is awesome!! This forum was super helpful and made the swap insanely simple. Jimmy007 is the best! Super responsive and helpful. Thanks for everything, including the harnesses needed!

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 84964
I have not received my bezel yet, but I couldn’t wait. Got everything hooked up and programmed and working flawless. This thing is awesome!! This forum was super helpful and made the swap insanely simple. Jimmy007 is the best! Super responsive and helpful. Thanks for everything, including the harnesses needed!
Looks good....where did you purchase everything and if you don't mind me asking what was total cost?

Rsanson

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy the harness adapter. I know someone here was making and selling them but he has not replied back. Thanks in advance

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy the harness adapter. I know someone here was making and selling them but he has not replied back. Thanks in advance
Pm sent

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Guys, I might be able to get the following part numbers on o finally do my swap on my 19’ Ram 1500 Big Horn with dual climate control and SiriusXm.

68420967AD
68417577AA
68472372AE
I am told these are the updated part numbers? What’s the best place to get a bezel? And can anyone confirm these parts are the correct part numbers for the swap? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell68w

Reaction score
Anyone ran in to the issue that thier radio has no sound? Made the swap and have everything working except the sound. I ended up buying a second radio module as i was unsure if the first one was bad and due to covid the dealership would not accept the return. I also hooked back up my old radio and i get sound immediately. Looking for any advice

Reaction score
I’ll send you a PM. I build mine so you don’t have to tap into any factory wiring.
This is the solar sensor you need- 68230114AB
Cabin temp sensor- 55111178AC
I am looking for this this wiring harness for the cabin temp sensor, can you point me in the right direction to get one?

MaximumTwenty

Reaction score
I had a 8.4 with nav so the new module and the old module are physically identical. So just mounted it in place of the old one.

Hey,
So I too, have the 8.4 w/nav and SirusXM Guardian that I depend on. I'm looking into doing the swap and just wanted to make sure your Guardian was still working.

Thanks!

Oz215

Reaction score
Hey what’s up fellas I also am trying to upgrade from the 8.4 to the 12 on my 1500 bighorn any suggestions on where to go to purchase everything or should I just call the dealer? Infotainment is way too damn high

Users who are viewing this thread