5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or
5064684AD ( Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger )

Screen: 68312620AF with lane assist and parking buttons at the top
or
Screen: 68420967AD with only hazards button at the top

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige or Black 6EJ801N1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Mountain Brown 6EJ811N6AA
Black/New Saddle 6EJ812XTAA
Indigo/Frost or Black 6EJ822C1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige, Black Interior Accents 6EZ151N1AA
Black, Black Interior Accents 6EZ152X9AA
All color Big Horn or Lonestar 6UV463XLAA
Black, Sport Badge 6UV473X9AB

Mat that fits in the top center: 6MB16TX7AA

Bolts that hold the screen to the trim are M5 X 0.8 x 12mm

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
Hello, somebody know number part bezel for the screen built to service. I think is black onyx interior accents

nco415

Reaction score
View attachment 84964
I have not received my bezel yet, but I couldn’t wait. Got everything hooked up and programmed and working flawless. This thing is awesome!! This forum was super helpful and made the swap insanely simple. Jimmy007 is the best! Super responsive and helpful. Thanks for everything, including the harnesses needed!
redfishdude,

What part number did you use? I don't have park assist button at the top like yours.

Thanks
nco415

Evank33

Reaction score
Looking to buy an 8.4 with nav if anyone has replaced it when they upgraded.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
So, what’s everyone using to program their uconnect with AlphaOBD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonRam

Reaction score
I got mostly everything ordered. I just need to know what parts are needed to program at this point. If someone would be so kind to give me link or part numbers I would appreciate it!

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Anyone done this and had major issues or not get it working well eventually? I’m not averse to a little risk but also don’t want to have some catastrophe. Also don’t want to have a bunch of buggy issues and no dealer to take the truck to and troubleshoot/get updates. We still get updates?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone done this and had major issues or not get it working well eventually? I’m not averse to a little risk but also don’t want to have some catastrophe. Also don’t want to have a bunch of buggy issues and no dealer to take the truck to and troubleshoot/get updates. We still get updates?
If you get a used module, you'll get updates when the module's vin is supposed to get them. I got a Brand new one from a dealer that has no VIN assigned to it, so I don't get any updates (which I'm fine with, I don't want to update it anyway, it worksflawlessly).
No issues whatsoever. That only thing is I had to change the settings twice since I installed it because I did some work on the truck and rest to the BCM deleted the modified settings. No biggie...

vyamill27

Reaction score
I have one

I currently have one i am willing to get rid of. I did the upgrade from the 5in to 12in and thought that the 68317978AL part was faulty. The dealership where i ordered it from would not accept returns due to covid so i ordered another from a different dealership. The issue i was having was there was no sound coming from my speakers when i plug in the new radio, 68317978AL. Everything else worked. The fix was to add resistors to my speakers as i added aftermarket speakers and amplifiers and its a fail safe mode that crystler radios do. Had i known this earlier i could have just done this before buying a second radio module. Either way its brand new and i would like to sell it. $700 plus shipping.
I want to go into this project and willing to buy the module from you guys, anyone who still have it available. I will need a little guidance on how to do the swap. Thanks and let me know please.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Parts are ordered and en route. Couple mounting questions?

for the M5 bolts to hold screen to bezel - does it matter what head the screw has for fitment/mounting?

Second for the module mounting what do you guys use? Zip ties work okay or is there something I can grab from Home Depot to make it work? I know there are crazy expensive parts from mopar I’m not really interested in.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Parts are ordered and en route. Couple mounting questions?

for the M5 bolts to hold screen to bezel - does it matter what head the screw has for fitment/mounting?

Second for the module mounting what do you guys use? Zip ties work okay or is there something I can grab from Home Depot to make it work? I know there are crazy expensive parts from mopar I’m not really interested in.
I am sure you'll be able to match the bolt at a hardware store like Ace or something. Do you currently have an 8.4" non-nav?

Evank33

Reaction score
I made my own mounts. You can order the clips that pop in and screws. 6034833 are the clip in nut and 6101946 are the screw from what I can tell. You will need 4 to mount the radio module and maybe more.
Has anyone verified if these are the actual parts to mount the module?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a heads up for others. I ordered the Radio Module from DirectMoparParts and they canceled my order the next day, here is their response.
"Hi,
We will be canceling your order and a refund will be processing the next business day.
We are unable to order/ship radios on our website. There is a lot information needed to order plus a $500 core charge and the damage rate is high when shipping. We have cancelled for full refund. Sorry."

What's up with the core charge?
Will try to get it from Tasca. If anybody has info on who is shipping, please let me know. Have all the other parts already, except the module.

Thanks.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Just a heads up for others. I ordered the Radio Module from DirectMoparParts and they canceled my order the next day, here is their response.
"Hi,
We will be canceling your order and a refund will be processing the next business day.
We are unable to order/ship radios on our website. There is a lot information needed to order plus a $500 core charge and the damage rate is high when shipping. We have cancelled for full refund. Sorry."

What's up with the core charge?
Will try to get it from Tasca. If anybody has info on who is shipping, please let me know. Have all the other parts already, except the module.

Thanks.
I just ordered from Tasca. They have not shipped the order yet, but the only part they told me the couldn’t get/back ordered was the LVDS cable (Ram specific one) - so I just ordered a different one that has been confirmed to fit.

One note is they are apparently very busy and short staffed, order was in processing for like 8 days, I used the chat feature online and they bumped order up to the front, now waiting for shipment which he said would take 3-4 days. This order included the module so we will see, can update when everything ships. There was no mention of a core charge or anything else related to the module.

@Evank33 i just ordered four of the screws and snap in nut listed above, will be a while (1-2 weeks) before I tackle the project but can update the thread when I know.

nickw082

Reaction score
Ordered from Mopar Factory Parts 4/17, shipped 4/28.

68317978al - Multi Media Radio
68420967AD - Center Stack
6UV483XRAB - Instrument Panel Bezel
55111178AC - Temperature Cabin Air Sensor
68230114AB - Sun Sensor
6MB16TX7AA - Storage Bin Mat
68082364AC - Jumper Cable

Cesar592

Reaction score
hi guys does anyone know what the part number is for a 2021 laramie radio receiver i want to try one to see if with the new software i can have the pages off road

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So, what’s everyone using to program their uconnect with AlphaOBD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+

Users who are viewing this thread