5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

merdas

Reaction score
I finished my swap yesterday, 8.4 non nav to 12, other then a trip to HD to get seven 5M screws to attach the screen to the bezel, all went smooth, used Android version of alfa obd to change settings,
thank you all for great write-ups, and all who helped,
sure looks nice and price is right too,

Attachments

• IMG-7088.JPG
    IMG-7088.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 164

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 8.4 with nav so the new module and the old module are physically identical. So just mounted it in place of the old one.
Any chance you can tell me what software version came on the new module? To bring up the menu, press on the two outside icons on the bottom row-
vjo714U.jpg

Brookelf

Reaction score
Any chance you can tell me what software version came on the new module? To bring up the m
Any chance you can tell me what software version came on the new module? To bring up the menu, press on the two outside icons on the bottom row-
vjo714U.jpg
I purchased my radio module new also software version is 18.27.17 I thought about asking my service adviser if they would update it but I'm kind of afraid to do so because my radio has worked flawlessly since the install none of the bugs that others have talked about.

TNRAMBox

Reaction score
I purchased my radio module new also software version is 18.27.17 I thought about asking my service adviser if they would update it but I'm kind of afraid to do so because my radio has worked flawlessly since the install none of the bugs that others have talked about.
I’ve got the same version and same concern. Everything appears to be working now. Don’t want to screw that up.

Mikeboston

Reaction score
I finished my swap yesterday, 8.4 non nav to 12, other then a trip to HD to get seven 5M screws to attach the screen to the bezel, all went smooth, used Android version of alfa obd to change settings,
thank you all for great write-ups, and all who helped,
sure looks nice and price is right too,
I also have the 8.4 non nav and I also want to switch to the 12.1 are the parts you listed what’s needed to swap out except my bezel is bighorn not the rebel. Any help/advise would be great. Thdd as nos!!

Mikeboston

Reaction score
You don't need an amp, the 12" radio works with the base system.
You must have LVDS cable.
GPS antenna is inside the radio module. No need to add another one.
I’m looking to swap my 8.4 non-nav to the 12.1, if someone could help me figure out what parts are needed, where to get the parts etc. I’d greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!!!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking to swap my 8.4 non-nav to the 12.1, if someone could help me figure out what parts are needed, where to get the parts etc. I’d greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!!!

merdas

Reaction score
I also have the 8.4 non nav and I also want to switch to the 12.1 are the parts you listed what’s needed to swap out except my bezel is bighorn not the rebel. Any help/advise would be great. Thdd as nos!!
yes, that is all you need, + seven M5 screws to attach screen to bezel, and connector cable which Jimmy07 can provide, good luck

pflores

Reaction score
Has anyone done a 8 to 12 inch screen upgrade on a 2020 2500 HD? Seems like most of the folks here are doing the upgrades on 1500s. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ram41313

Reaction score
Has anyone done a 8 to 12 inch screen upgrade on a 2020 2500 HD? Seems like most of the folks here are doing the upgrades on 1500s. Thanks!

Yes they both take the same parts

pflores

Reaction score
Here is a great video....

Cool. I went to infotainment.com and pretended I was going to checkout their 12 inch screen upgrade setup and did not see an option for an hd Power Wagon. They only had the hd Laramie, Tradesman and BigHorn listed as options. Does that mean my truck is not supported? Hoping that is not the case.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool. I went to infotainment.com and pretended I was going to checkout their 12 inch screen upgrade setup and did not see an option for an hd Power Wagon. They only had the hd Laramie, Tradesman and BigHorn listed as options. Does that mean my truck is not supported? Hoping that is not the case.

I would contact infotainment for confirmation but I'm sure the power wagon is supported as well. Should be same screen/module as any other 1500/2500.
The only thing I can think of that they might not have is the trim pieces if they are different for the power wagon .

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You might find a definite answer at the HD RAM forum if you haven't searched there yet. Link below....

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

These are just trim "colors", your truck is 100% supported.

Users who are viewing this thread