5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Brookelf

Reaction score
Buttons don’t work when I do that.
Has to be set to dual zone ATC for the 12 inch to work. The fix is what I posted earlier. Ive done this in my truck and it works if you had manual controls single zone controls before. This is actually the fix that Infotainment is shipping with their $4000 12inch radio upgrade. I took it from them and made my own harness and installed the parts from their video. Or if your up to the task you can remove the dash and do the full dual zone ATC conversion.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buttons don’t work when I do that.

Has to be set to dual zone ATC for the 12 inch to work. The fix is what I posted earlier. Ive done this in my truck and it works if you had manual controls single zone controls before. This is actually the fix that Infotainment is shipping with their $4000 12inch radio upgrade. I took it from them and made my own harness and installed the parts from their video. Or if your up to the task you can remove the dash and do the full dual zone ATC conversion.
Lol, sorry guys. I thought I was replying in the 5” to 8.4” thread. Like Brookelf said, you’ll have to install the cabin temp sensor and correct sun sensor to get close. Let me know if you need a plug n play temp sensor harness, I have a few made up. Your current sun sensor connector already has the correct wires for the ATC sun sensor.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Lol, sorry guys. I thought I was replying in the 5” to 8.4” thread. Like Brookelf said, you’ll have to install the cabin temp sensor and correct sun sensor to get close. Let me know if you need a plug n play temp sensor harness, I have a few made up. Your current sun sensor connector already has the correct wires for the ATC sun sensor.
How much for the temp sensor harness? This is the one that will have the positaps for the 4 wires that go into the HVAC module right?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How much for the temp sensor harness? This is the one that will have the positaps for the 4 wires that go into the HVAC module right?
I’ll send you a PM. I build mine so you don’t have to tap into any factory wiring.
This is the solar sensor you need- 68230114AB
Cabin temp sensor- 55111178AC

Georgf

Reaction score
Here is a link to the wiring for the cabin air temp sensor. http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=153303. It works well for the the purpose of controlling the temp in the truck as long as you sync the temps for the driver and passenger side on the screen in auto and manual mode. AS Jimmy07 stated it won't be factory ATC. Both sides of the cabin will be the same temp. The driver side screen controls will be the master controls when in auto and manual mode. You don't have the ability to set separate temps on different sides of the cabin.
Thanks a lot, but there is only sensor side harness, where you found HVAC wiring diagram to connect it right?

Brookelf

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, but there is only sensor side harness, where you found HVAC wiring diagram to connect it right?
Follow the video instructions from the google search instructions from my post 1,327 the video shows where to make the connections.

Rgeiser

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade on a 2021 1500 BigHorn from the 5” to the 12” setup. I do not currently have XM. Does anyone know the part numbers to replace the antenna to provide xm - I know infotainment sells a kit but figured there’s probably a kit out there for less? In reading the thread it sounds like a few others have done this upgrade - anything else I need to watch out for that is different from the 8” upgrade? Thanks!

merdas

Reaction score
Hi, is there a complete list of parts needed to upgrade from 8.4 non nav to 12", there are so many pages here, maybe somebody knows which page to go to, or if that list does not exist, maybe it can be created? thank you,

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, is there a complete list of parts needed to upgrade from 8.4 non nav to 12", there are so many pages here, maybe somebody knows which page to go to, or if that list does not exist, maybe it can be created? thank you,
You need a Screen, Module and bezel(part #s can vary, there are a lot of trims and colors).
You also need an LVDS cable(part #: 68082364AC)

And a repin of an existing connector.

Check out this post for Part Numbers and more info:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/8-4-to-12-1-screen-replacement.2344/post-222936

merdas

Reaction score
You need a Screen, Module and bezel(part #s can vary, there are a lot of trims and colors).
You also need an LVDS cable(part #: 68082364AC)

And a repin of an existing connector.

Check out this post for Part Numbers and more info:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/8-4-to-12-1-screen-replacement.2344/post-222936
thank you,

merdas

Reaction score
ok, here is what I could find
1. brain radio module $896.00
2. LVDS cable $22.55
3. Rebel bezel with red accent $333.00
4. Center stack with line assist button $472.86
Does it look like its all and the prices are somewhat you all paid?
I already have Alfa obd, bypass module and OBD link mx+
thanks,

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
ok, here is what I could find
1. brain radio module $896.00
2. LVDS cable $22.55
3. Rebel bezel with red accent $333.00
4. Center stack with line assist button $472.86
Does it look like its all and the prices are somewhat you all paid?
I already have Alfa obd, bypass module and OBD link mx+
thanks,
It looks like you got everything, yes!
I actually paid $870 for the screen but they cut the price in half about a month after that 🤦‍♂️
The only part we have issues with is the module, which is not available (available for warranty repair only), if you can get a module, the rest of the swap is easy.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

TNRAMBox

Reaction score
It looks like you got everything, yes!
I actually paid $870 for the screen but they cut the price in half about a month after that 🤦‍♂️
The only part we have issues with is the module, which is not available (available for warranty repair only), if you can get a module, the rest of the swap is easy.

So I ordered the radio module last week from Tasca along with the other parts just to see if they would kick it out of the order and they didn’t. I got notification this morning that everything, including the radio module (68317978I, Radio-Multi Media, $652.91) shipped. Guess we’ll know for sure when it gets here but might be worth at try. Of course the only thing that didn’t ship was the dash bezel. It seems the one that matches my truck is on national back order. :-(

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered the radio module last week from Tasca along with the other parts just to see if they would kick it out of the order and they didn’t. I got notification this morning that everything, including the radio module (68317978I, Radio-Multi Media, $652.91) shipped. Guess we’ll know for sure when it gets here but might be worth at try. Of course the only thing that didn’t ship was the dash bezel. It seems the one that matches my truck is on national back order. :-(
Sorry to hear about the bezel but great news on that module! Awesome.
Please keep us posted and confirm its arrival...

Georgf

Reaction score
One more question about swap, if i have now 8.4” without nav, and want install 12.1” screen, i need also amplifier for audio? Basic radio has 6 speakers without amplifier, but sure all 12.1 made for premium sound system...
Also if I don’t need nav must i have LVDS cable, and what about GPS antenna?

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
One more question about swap, if i have now 8.4” without nav, and want install 12.1” screen, i need also amplifier for audio? Basic radio has 6 speakers without amplifier, but sure all 12.1 made for premium sound system...
Also if I don’t need nav must i have LVDS cable, and what about GPS antenna?
You don't need an amp, the 12" radio works with the base system.
You must have LVDS cable.
GPS antenna is inside the radio module. No need to add another one.

Georgf

Reaction score
You don't need an amp, the 12" radio works with the base system.
You must have LVDS cable.
GPS antenna is inside the radio module. No need to add another one.
Thank you very much! I almost ready start this mod, but after swap what exactly procedure will needed with AlfaOBD? Must i install new software or just change some settings? Asked this because i’m in Russia, here is no Ram dealers and nobody can help me, if i broke my truck :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread