5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

drummer261982

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Yea it's pricey for sure lol. I'm trying to find one at a decent price. I might have to wait until prices come down some since they are new. Would be nice to just get the complete system from someone but the 2021 module is harder come by at this time it seems. Good luck installing your system. Let us know if everything worked out.
I imagine we'll start seeing more used parts come to market over the next year, but I wanted to get this done ASAP so I can enjoy it, and get only new parts to reduce likelihood of issues. The previous modules seem to drop by a couple hundred $ after being over a year old tho, so maybe within the next handful of months you'll find the 68472372AE for closer to $700!

Knight.

Reaction score
I imagine we'll start seeing more used parts come to market over the next year, but I wanted to get this done ASAP so I can enjoy it, and get only new parts to reduce likelihood of issues. The previous modules seem to drop by a couple hundred $ after being over a year old tho, so maybe within the next handful of months you'll find the 68472372AE for closer to $700!

I agree as well, prices should drop in time. I'm in no hurry to get the bigger screen. Would be nice to add it now but i can wait lol.

RichM1983

Reaction score
Hey guys I was hoping to get some advice. I'm going from 8.4" non nav to the 12".

Today I installed the 12" screen, module to run it, LVDS cable, 911 cable so I don't get an error, and used a jumper cable instead of repinning the cable with blue tape. I hooked up everything where it belongs based on colors and fit and so on. I had no unused cables. The screen only powers on when I pull fuse f44 under the steering wheel. I knew that would be the case until I use alpha obd, a bypass, and the bluetooth obd2 plug to change some things on the BCM.

What I'm finding is that the power button, volume knob, tune knob, screen off, and mute buttons don't work. The hazard button does. Based on other posts I thought just the tune and volume knob would be nonfunctional.

My backup camera doesn't come on and there is no app anywhere to use it that way either. Will that come back with drive time? will it go away every time I reset radio?

The heated and cooled seats for the passenger were also missing. Will that come back with drive time? Will it go away every time I reset it?

I had an odd issue where my cabin cooling functions would only really work with the physical buttons on the side of the screen. If I used the red temp up button the air would get warm and the sliding bar on screen wouldn't change. I've read this entire thread and never saw that.

I also wanted to know if anyone has recently used alph obd and a pc to change the BCM parameters? I know at one point in the thread people were saying the windows version didn't work right and then at other points they said the android version wouldn't work right. I just want to be sure before I spend another $200 for the obd plug, alphaobd, and a bypass cable they will actually work.

From this thread changing the BCM addresses having to pull fuse f44 to reset the radio and fixes the tune knob and volume knob. Will it fix the other problems? Or are the other problems just because the radio needs time to pull everything from the BCM?

I'd hate to have to take this back out and put the 8.4 back in. For now I just plan to pull the fuse when I need to drive the truck, which isn't too often.

Thanks for the help. I hope I made the questions clear lol.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will need to program the BCM, otherwise it will not work.
I used the Window version, works just fine.
Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. DISABLED
Cabin Net DCSD display screen module. ENABLE

RichM1983

Reaction score
Yeah that’s kind of what I figured.

What Bluetooth obd tool did you use? I have the one linked earlier bookmarked but it’s $100. I don’t want to spend that much if there is a cheaper alternative.
Thanks

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I used.
Bypass Cable.....

OBDII Scanner......

and of course AlfaOBD

RichM1983

Reaction score
This is what I used.
Bypass Cable.....

OBDII Scanner......

and of course AlfaOBD
It’s good to see that obd tool works. The link posted earlier on was $100 lol

PrroblemSolver

Reaction score
Anyone do an upgrade on 2019 8.4 w/NAV to 12.1 and have an issue with the screen being black. Everything works except the radio and screen.

I checked F44 and it is not blown. I tried pulling the fuse and I tried disconnecting the battery.

I Used AlfaOBD to
1. connect to the body computer function and used MY2019 DT Powernet var.4
2. set "Not enabled" to CABIN Net-ICS integrated center stack
3. set Net-DCSD Display screen module to "Enable"

what am I doing wrong?

RichM1983

Reaction score
Anyone do an upgrade on 2019 8.4 w/NAV to 12.1 and have an issue with the screen being black. Everything works except the radio and screen.

I checked F44 and it is not blown. I tried pulling the fuse and I tried disconnecting the battery.

I Used AlfaOBD to
1. connect to the body computer function and used MY2019 DT Powernet var.4
2. set "Not enabled" to CABIN Net-ICS integrated center stack
3. set Net-DCSD Display screen module to "Enable"

what am I doing wrong?
Some things I’ve learned through reading this WHOLE thread lol.

The 21 and up module will not work on the older DT rams.

The 8.4” module won’t work with the 12.1. I have read the 8.4 module can be reprogrammed to work with the 12 somewhere else but I’m not sure about that.

I was also under the impression if you already have NAV you don’t need to do the reprogramming. The reason for the reprgramming is the 8.4 non Nav is integrated in the screen and it’s two separate pieces if you have Nav. So you have to disable the integrated screen in the BCM and enable the module. So maybe you should revert that change back to your factory settings.

Maybe someone like Jimmy will reply since he’s so knowledgeable because I may be wrong.

PrroblemSolver

Reaction score
went back to factory settings ... screen still won't come on ... however the radio now appears to be working and HVAC controls are still working ...

my last lead is that I didn't complete the hazard light jump to the new connector. is it possible that the connector is used to power the screen?

Possible guesses of my problem

1. Bad Screen
2. 2021 Module screen incompatible( not sure part number scratched off)
3. hazard jumper cable needs to be installed

*****Update: I completed jump …same issue

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
went back to factory settings ... screen still won't come on ... however the radio now appears to be working and HVAC controls are still working ...

my last lead is that I didn't complete the hazard light jump to the new connector. is it possible that the connector is used to power the screen?

Possible guesses of my problem

1. Bad Screen
2. 2021 Module screen incompatible( not sure part number scratched off)
3. hazard jumper cable needs to be installed
There are two identical 8-way connectors that you unplugged from your original 8.4 screen and radio bezel- one that was plugged into the radio screen, and one that was plugged into the back of the HVAC control panel. Which one of those two connectors are you plugging into the 12” screen?

PrroblemSolver

Reaction score
There are two identical 8-way connectors that you unplugged from your original 8.4 screen and radio bezel- one that was plugged into the radio screen, and one that was plugged into the back of the HVAC control panel. Which one of those two connectors are you plugging into the 12” screen?
I plugged in the one from the back of 8.4in radio

PrroblemSolver

Reaction score
Not a bad screen …plugged in a screen manufactured from 2018 and one from Feb 2021

has to be something small… if I plug back in the old screen 8.4 screen it works

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something can't be right, does your plug looks like this after re pinning?
re-pin.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread