5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

RebelAzula

Reaction score
There are two connectors plugged into the media hub (three of you have USB ports on the back of the center console). One is an 8-way connector, and one is the mini USB cable, which links the media hub to the radio module. That connector at the radio module is mini usb, also, which is housed in a gray connector.
Thank you, found the missing plug and plugged it in. All is working now!

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the climate after the swap? I originally had single zone climate. I enabled dual zone atc with AlfaOBD as instructed in this thread. However, whenever I try to adjust the temp, it either goes really hot or really cool. There’s no in between. Anyone else have this issue?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the climate after the swap? I originally had single zone climate. I enabled dual zone atc with AlfaOBD as instructed in this thread. However, whenever I try to adjust the temp, it either goes really hot or really cool. There’s no in between. Anyone else have this issue?
It happened to me and i just had to wait for the system to sync for a few hours, then it was okay. BTW, I had Dual zone before the swap.

Brookelf

Reaction score
It happened to me and i just had to wait for the system to sync for a few hours, then it was okay. BTW, I had Dual zone before the swap.
You have to add the under dash cabin air temperature sensor and change the sun sensor on the dash. Do a google search Infotainment 2019+ Ram Truck Automatic Climate control Upgrade. Theres a video that they put out that shows parts you need and what wires to tap. I didn't order their set up I don't even know the price as they are usually way over priced I ordered my parts local and made my own wire harness.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have to add the under dash cabin air temperature sensor and change the sun sensor on the dash. Do a google search Infotainment 2019+ Ram Truck Automatic Climate control Upgrade. Theres a video that they put out that shows parts you need and what wires to tap. I didn't order their set up I don't even know the price as they are usually way over priced I ordered my parts local and made my own wire harness.

That will get you somewhat close to having the auto climate function the way it’s supposed to, probably “acceptable” to someone who doesn’t know the behavior of factory equipped ATC trucks. You would need the air distribution box that has the 4 in-duct temp sensors for ATC to function 100%- which requires dash removal.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

Mine works fine. I had Auto climate before the swap...

Brookelf

Reaction score
That will get you somewhat close to having the auto climate function the way it’s supposed to, probably “acceptable” to someone who doesn’t know the behavior of factory equipped ATC trucks. You would need the air distribution box that has the 4 in-duct temp sensors for ATC to function 100%- which requires dash removal.
Yes what Jimmy07 said it makes it so you don't have to set the temp all the way hot or all the way cold to get a reaction from the temp controls. It will solve the problem of your original question.

TNRAMBox

Reaction score
I bought a new module that had never been activated so I won't be able to get the wifi to work on my radio because my module doesn't have a phone# assigned to it and att won't activate it without a vin. which is ok with me I can do without that feature no little ones and we have hotspot on our cellphones but I can say the amazon antenna work I have a strong 4G LTE signal everywhere I go.
Great info @Brookelf. So I’m considering buying the module from ECS Tuning as well. I don’t really need the WiFi capability but I use Sirius Guardian all the time. I wonder if AT&T would activate it for me since my VIN is optioned with hot spot capability and Sirius Guardian.

sonnyspk

Reaction score
I just had installed a kit from MVI. Went from 8.4 (no navigation) to the big 12. Your screen should come on, BUT IT WILL NOT FUNCTION UNTIL YOU REPROGRAM YOUR SYSTEM. MVI SENTS A USB AND NECESSARY CABLES TO DO THIS. I had mine installed at the Ram dealer ($100), he then matched they radio Vin with the truck Vin. It is now considered factory equipped. When you look up my vin, it will show the new 12" radio.

Brookelf

Reaction score
I just had installed a kit from MVI. Went from 8.4 (no navigation) to the big 12. Your screen should come on, BUT IT WILL NOT FUNCTION UNTIL YOU REPROGRAM YOUR SYSTEM. MVI SENTS A USB AND NECESSARY CABLES TO DO THIS. I had mine installed at the Ram dealer ($100), he then matched they radio Vin with the truck Vin. It is now considered factory equipped. When you look up my vin, it will show the new 12" radio.
Did you try and set up the wifi through ATT or the free Guardian? Is it showing factory installed option or dealer installed option?

Brookelf

Reaction score
Great info @Brookelf. So I’m considering buying the module from ECS Tuning as well. I don’t really need the WiFi capability but I use Sirius Guardian all the time. I wonder if AT&T would activate it for me since my VIN is optioned with hot spot capability and Sirius Guardian.
Thats a good question I think Jimmy07 said he had several units that he had pulled from other trucks that had the correct VIN and it worked for him in his truck maybe you can reach out to him and ask him how he went about activating in his current truck.

Georgf

Reaction score

Could you post here the wiring diagram for connect cabin air temperature sensor? I can’t see exactly what wire going to what pin on infotainment video.

Brookelf

Reaction score
Here is a link to the wiring for the cabin air temp sensor. http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=153303. It works well for the the purpose of controlling the temp in the truck as long as you sync the temps for the driver and passenger side on the screen in auto and manual mode. AS Jimmy07 stated it won't be factory ATC. Both sides of the cabin will be the same temp. The driver side screen controls will be the master controls when in auto and manual mode. You don't have the ability to set separate temps on different sides of the cabin.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link to the wiring for the cabin air temp sensor. http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=153303. It works well for the the purpose of controlling the temp in the truck as long as you sync the temps for the driver and passenger side on the screen. AS Jimmy07 stated it won't be factory ATC. Both sides of the cabin will have to be in sync when in auto mode and the driver side screen controls will be the master controls when not in auto the drivers side is still the master for the cabin. You don't have the ability to set separate temps on different sides of the cabin.
That’s more of the “won’t be dual zone” explanation. The actual automatic temperature control will also not behave 100% correct like factory, either, and will become erratic in certain situations. This is because you are still missing the duct temperature sensors. Connect to your HVAC module, and you’ll have at least 5 stored faults pertaining to the sensors.

Brookelf

Reaction score
That’s more of the “won’t be dual zone” explanation. The actual automatic temperature control will also not behave 100% correct like factory, either, and will become erratic in certain situations. This is because you are still missing the duct temperature sensors. Connect to your HVAC module, and you’ll have at least 5 stored faults pertaining to the sensors.
I haven't experienced the erratic situation please elaborate on what to expect. I know about the fault codes but I also know what's causing them. I wasn't willing to remove the dash to clear the faults when I don't know they exist unless I'm connected to the HVAC module. The system set to dual zone with ALFAOBD and wired with the Cabin air sensor works well. It's been a little over a month here in Texas and I've had to adjust the temp both ways almost daily for heat and AC with no problems.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't experienced the erratic situation please elaborate on what to expect. I know about the fault codes but I also know what's causing them. I wasn't willing to remove the dash to clear the faults when I don't know they exist unless I'm connected to the HVAC module. The system set to dual zone with ALFAOBD and wired with the Cabin air sensor works well. It's been a little over a month here in Texas and I've had to adjust the temp both ways almost daily for heat and AC with no problems.
It’s easier to notice when you have a factory equipped atc to directly compare to, but some differences are, the air blending and fan speeds are not consistent. When the outside temp is below ~25, you can’t get anything out of the dash vents, even when trying to force them with the manual controls. When a/c is used, it won’t direct air to the floor when it should, etc. Overall, it works “acceptable” for those that don’t know the behavior of a factory equipped ATC system, though.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
It’s easier to notice when you have a factory equipped atc to directly compare to, but some differences are, the air blending and fan speeds are not consistent. When the outside temp is below ~25, you can’t get anything out of the dash vents, even when trying to force them with the manual controls. When a/c is used, it won’t direct air to the floor when it should, etc. Overall, it works “acceptable” for those that don’t know the behavior of a factory equipped ATC system, though.
How do I get my climate to act close to normal? I didn’t have dual zone or single ATC. The climate either can get fully cold or full heat. Anything in between does nothing

Brookelf

Reaction score
Well I will never have to worry about the below 25 but once every 3 to 4 years here in Texas LOL. Honestly I have dual zone climate control in my BMW so I know how it's suppose to work and the differences are minimal at most. When you set heat more heat goes to floor than dash vents and as it reaches target temp it switches to dash. AC works opposite dash vents first then minimal air to the floor. My BMW performs the same way difference being you have independent control for both front sides and rear. I'm in no way trying to say its perfect but for the original guys post about having to go all the way cold to get AC or all the way hot to get heat it works. The wife and I did a road trip down to San Antonio a couple weeks ago and you set a temp and it keeps the truck comfortable instead of freezing or cooking.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do I get my climate to act close to normal? I didn’t have dual zone or single ATC. The climate either can get fully cold or full heat. Anything in between does nothing
Did you change the HVAC configuration to dual zone ATC? If so, change it back to single zone MTC.

Users who are viewing this thread