5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

tdb0021

Reaction score
Just went back and looked at your post and I see your trying to get travelink going after I enabled travel link in Alfa I had to unplug the battery cable to get it to work. Before I installed the antenna yesterday my cell signal was at 2G with little to no signal until I went into town after I installed the antenna I got 4G LTE. As of now everything works except for my hotspot I tried to go back to demo mode but it wouldn't let me I reset the radio to default and now I don't even get an SSID to sign into. Ive read several other threads and I can't figure it out. I can even call the assistant through the radio so I have no idea what's going on with the hotspot someone said on another thread that it would come on when it get ready lol they said just keep trying. FYI I bought 3 of those antenna stuck them to the top of the ac vents under the dash.

Thank you. I was able to get travel link working after enabling too. I don’t really need the WiFi or cellular to work at the moment but I want the option and I’d like to have the DTCs cleared that are a result of the missing antennas. Do I need 1, 2, or 3 of the antennas?

Brookelf

Reaction score
Thank you. I was able to get travel link working after enabling too. I don’t really need the WiFi or cellular to work at the moment but I want the option and I’d like to have the DTCs cleared that are a result of the missing antennas. Do I need 1, 2, or 3 of the antennas?

Airstray

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the video on YouTube installing the Panasonic 8 to 12 U connect? It appears to have all components including cables, etc. to change over to a fully functioning 12 u connect unit.

Brookelf

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the video on YouTube installing the Panasonic 8 to 12 U connect? It appears to have all components including cables, etc. to change over to a fully functioning 12 u connect unit.
It’s been covered several times in this thread apparently the seller will not sale to the USA.

Last edited:

FireNationRebel

Reaction score
I’m going from 8.4 non nav to 12.1

is anyone selling the pre wired adapter plug that people keep posting about?

Brookelf

Reaction score
I’m going from 8.4 non nav to 12.1

is anyone selling the pre wired adapter plug that people keep posting about?
Not that I know of the links in this thread to the parts to make one still work I used them to order the parts to make mine. They are listed in Jimmy07 post# 686. Not hard to make there's a digram of where the pins go again posted by Jimmy07 post# 453.

sonnyspk

Reaction score
I’m no help, but VERY interested to see if you get it to work. The only think I want in the Laramie “level 2” package is the 12” screen. Was hoping a swap would be possible like on the 4th gen’s 3.5” for 8.4”. Will be watching this closely before ordering :)
Have to have the software reprogrammed for it to work

Georgf

Reaction score
Could anybody say, this module will work for 8.4 to 12 swap 68422046AA? It’s from Ram 2500. I have big horn with base 6 speakers radio.

g00fy

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Cellu...a+antenna&qid=1606752953&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Yes on mine I think the pink were the cellular 1 and 2 and the green at the bottom is wifi.

Debating on ordering a few of those for myself, or if I should just get 1 of these?

Last edited:

Brookelf

Reaction score
Debating on ordering a few of those for myself, or if I should just get 1 of these?

I bought a new module that had never been activated so I won't be able to get the wifi to work on my radio because my module doesn't have a phone# assigned to it and att won't activate it without a vin. which is ok with me I can do without that feature no little ones and we have hotspot on our cellphones but I can say the amazon antenna work I have a strong 4G LTE signal everywhere I go.

g00fy

Reaction score
I bought a new module that had never been activated so I won't be able to get the wifi to work on my radio because my module doesn't have a phone# assigned to it and att won't activate it without a vin. which is ok with me I can do without that feature no little ones and we have hotspot on our cellphones but I can say the amazon antenna work I have a strong 4G LTE signal everywhere I go.
The only reason i'm after the wifi module is because it may be required if wireless android auto ever becomes a usable feature on these Uconnects.

Tallus

Reaction score
Anyone notice if rear heat does not match the dual climate setting? Should it after conversion?

RebelAzula

Reaction score
I did the swap but running into issues. The screen functions as normal. However, my usb hub below the screen no longer works. It doesn’t even light up. Won’t charge or recognize multiple devices. The CD player is just fine. USB port in center console works too.

I checked fuse 43 and 48, they’re good. Unplugged battery for 30 mins.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Bram2019

Reaction score
I did the swap but running into issues. The screen functions as normal. However, my usb hub below the screen no longer works. It doesn’t even light up. Won’t charge or recognize multiple devices. The CD player is just fine. USB port in center console works too.

Any advice?
Are you sure you plugged the usb cable into the radio module. I think the rear usb ports are charge only. The front usb hub gets powered from the radio module. Otherwise is may be coincidental the usb hub went bad

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Any advice?
Since it doesn’t even light up, make sure the 8-way connector on the back of the media hub isn’t disconnected. That’s the connector that contains it’s power, ground, and panel lamps driver wires.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Are you sure you plugged the usb cable into the radio module. I think the rear usb ports are charge only. The front usb hub gets powered from the radio module. Otherwise is may be coincidental the usb hub went bad
Which usb cable? I only plugged in multi pin connectors, lvds cable, and circular connector plugs.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Since it doesn’t even light up, make sure the 8-way connector on the back of the media hub isn’t disconnected. That’s the connector that contains it’s power, ground, and panel lamps driver wires.
Do you remember if the hub gets connected to the module and is it a usb cable or a different connector?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you remember if the hub gets connected to the module and is it a usb cable or a different connector?
There are two connectors plugged into the media hub (three of you have USB ports on the back of the center console). One is an 8-way connector, and one is the mini USB cable, which links the media hub to the radio module. That connector at the radio module is mini usb, also, which is housed in a gray connector.

Users who are viewing this thread