5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. I was trying to get good pics of the two plugs so I could see what needs to be repinned and moved around to make it all work. You will also have to buy the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas I believe and possibly you will have a 911 assist error

bill

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Here is a picture of the two plugs.

Attachments

• 20190118_064552.jpg
    20190118_064552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 440

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually need the wire sides so I can reference the connectors. Its hard to tell because they both are similar and I need wre colors so I know what it what. So if you can show the connectors from the wire side that would help most

Bram2019

Reaction score
Well I did all this and the radio is locked anyone know how to unlock it?
The radios usually ship with an unlock code. Or the code is sometimes painted on the radio with a black magic marker by the seller. The only other way I am aware of, is to get the serial number off the radio or module and with your vin, go to parts department at FCA dealer and see if he will give it to you. You may have to prove you own the truck and show a receipt for the radio to prove you did not steal it. Maybe someone who works in a parts department can chime in.

bill

Reaction score
I actually need the wire sides so I can reference the connectors. Its hard to tell because they both are similar and I need wre colors so I know what it what. So if you can show the connectors from the wire side that would help most

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20190118_064552.jpg
    20190118_064552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The picture you posted is the same as last one. I really need a pic of the wire side. I need to see the wires and colors so I can orient what connector is what . Since the connector look similar its hard to know what is the technical name so I need to see what wires are currently in the locations so I can then figure out what goes where.

bill

Reaction score
Ok.. let me try to clear up what I said.
The main plug is the same.

What is different - the 8.4 Non Nav is a self contained unit.

the 12.1 and 8.4 nav have a brain mounted remotely and the screen is fed through a combination of a standard plug and an LVDS cable. The plug has power and can bus so that will not be present in the truck with 8.4 Non Nav( I do not think) and would have to be wired in.

Since you have the 8.4 Non Nav you would need the 12.1 brain the LVDS cable the main plug is the same although not certain that it will reach where the remote brain is mounted in the other since the plug goes to the center stack on that one and where the brain is on the others

The other thing to take into account is the HVAC. The 12.1 I am fairly certain only available with auto climate. So not sure how that will work.

The easier swap is going to be 8.4 nav to 12.1

I have heard that infotainment.com is working on this and have it somewhat working.

So If I hear anything on that I will update. For the DYI it will take some work to figure out the little bugs. because there could be sales codes that have to be enabled to make it all work correctly.

Like I said the main problem being the 8.4 with nav and 12.1 having ht telematics and the Non Nav not. They do have some Non Nav with telematics as well but not sure the new ram has that option.

Do you have any idea where to locate this LVDS cable, or maybe part number

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any idea where to locate this LVDS cable, or maybe part number
The LVDS cable I am not sure can be bought separate. Its the cable that connects the display to the Radio Unit

cucs10

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for a few months now . I bought a big horn with the 8.4 and wanted to upgrade to the 12.1 . Bought screen on Craigslist and bought the radio module off direct radio parts . Went to my local radio install for a try at the upgrade and we couldn’t get the screen to light up . Everything was plug and play besides a black 8 pin on the module was left open . The bottom switches on the radio were the only thing to light up . Been back and forth with the dealer and no one knows anything about this of course . Any help would be much appreciated.

cucs10

Reaction score
This is the back of the module with the open pin

Attachments

• 4E4B394F-7E26-454A-8620-B01DFBEA35B6.jpeg
    4E4B394F-7E26-454A-8620-B01DFBEA35B6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 405

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That isn’t used. It may be in the future but it isn’t in any applications yet

Bram2019

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for a few months now . I bought a big horn with the 8.4 and wanted to upgrade to the 12.1 . Bought screen on Craigslist and bought the radio module off direct radio parts . Went to my local radio install for a try at the upgrade and we couldn’t get the screen to light up . Everything was plug and play besides a black 8 pin on the module was left open . The bottom switches on the radio were the only thing to light up . Been back and forth with the dealer and no one knows anything about this of course . Any help would be much appreciated.
are you doing an 8.4 nav to 12. if you are you may need to see that screen working in another truck that works, anything is possible. Maybe you got a bad screen off craigslist.

kingkasc

Reaction score
Anyone have luck with this? I’d like to swap from my 8.4 non nav this nav

jungleskipper

Reaction score
are you doing an 8.4 nav to 12. if you are you may need to see that screen working in another truck that works, anything is possible. Maybe you got a bad screen off craigslist.
I've got a 2019 Laramie WITH the 8.4 nav and a direct swap didn't get the screen to come up either. Put it back into the donor vehicle and the screen worked.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 2019 Laramie WITH the 8.4 nav and a direct swap didn't get the screen to come up either. Put it back into the donor vehicle and the screen worked.
Did you get the module that goes with it? The 8.4 nav and 12" use a different module.

Users who are viewing this thread