5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

DwW

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to swap from the 8.4 w/o Nav to the 8.4 with Nav? I just want the ability to have remote start Lock/unlock from my phone

19RAMSRU

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to swap from the 8.4 w/o Nav to the 8.4 with Nav? I just want the ability to have remote start Lock/unlock from my phone
I second this. The range on the fobs are terrible. I gotta hit my unlock button 6 times before it unlocks.... With me 5 feet from it half the time. I also would like the 12.1 but looks like I'll have to buy a new wiring harness :)

Adrianp89

Reaction score
SAME! It seems that nobody has been successful doing this yet. Lots of very helpful advice such as buying a truck with the 12" LOL!

It's been done already. Direct swap, audio buttons on side didn't work but SWC worked.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Then it was not successful. You can swap it but it does not work as intended. Therefore fail.

A direct swap with everything working but the volume and tuning knob, is a fairly successful swap IMO. I am sure some tweaking could make it work, especially if you have some 12v background. Either way I only use steering wheel controls so it would be a pass for me.

A guy over on the RamForums bought one in the classifieds and just did a plug and play swap from his 8.4. I tried to get him to post more info, but he isn't on the forums often, we exchanged a few PMs.

"Sorry for the late reply. I did the swap in my Laramie that originally had the 8.4 with Nav. When I first swapped in the 12” screen, it was blank. I then swapped out my radio module with the one that came with the 12” screen and everything powered on. Everything works except, the volume knob, tuning knob and the screen blank button. Pushing the volume knob will still turn off the unit though. The steering wheel volume buttons still work and the on screen radio controls also work. I haven’t been able to get updated software to flash the 12” to see if that would make the knobs work or not."

Ram41313

Reaction score
The module isn’t cheap to find out it doesn’t work thanks

Ducktapejoe

Reaction score
I am also waiting for someone to figure out the secret recipe for upgrading trouble free. I am in Hawaii too, so that makes returns more difficult and expensive. I think since I have the 8.4 non-navigation, that I need a screen and the module. In that case, I may as well upgrade to the 12-inch screen at the same time. I would also like to add the brake controller at the same time while I have the dash apart. As for getting the truck with it, I had to take what I could get here in Hawaii. I was quoted over 80,000 on a Rebel. I got a good deal on my Laramie at the other dealership, yes there are only two, so I bought it with the intention of adding the things I was missing.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is the dealer will have to flash the computer with the sales code for full functionality
And finding a dealer that will do that is a needle in a haystack scenario. Aftermarket shops will have to catch up on 5th gen programming to fill the gap.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And finding a dealer that will do that is a needle in a haystack scenario. Aftermarket shops will have to catch up on 5th gen programming to fill the gap.
Very true. It will be hard to find a dealer to cooperate at this stage. It will only be a matter of time until some aftermarket companies have it all figured out.

bill

Reaction score
My guess is the dealer will have to flash the computer with the sales code for full functionality

i believe you can get the same service from Infortainment and avoid the dealer.

bill

Reaction score
Has anyone found a source for the radio module?
the only place i found is factory radio parts
Ok.. let me try to clear up what I said.
The main plug is the same.

What is different - the 8.4 Non Nav is a self contained unit.

the 12.1 and 8.4 nav have a brain mounted remotely and the screen is fed through a combination of a standard plug and an LVDS cable. The plug has power and can bus so that will not be present in the truck with 8.4 Non Nav( I do not think) and would have to be wired in.

Since you have the 8.4 Non Nav you would need the 12.1 brain the LVDS cable the main plug is the same although not certain that it will reach where the remote brain is mounted in the other since the plug goes to the center stack on that one and where the brain is on the others

The other thing to take into account is the HVAC. The 12.1 I am fairly certain only available with auto climate. So not sure how that will work.

The easier swap is going to be 8.4 nav to 12.1

I have heard that infotainment.com is working on this and have it somewhat working.

So If I hear anything on that I will update. For the DYI it will take some work to figure out the little bugs. because there could be sales codes that have to be enabled to make it all work correctly.

Like I said the main problem being the 8.4 with nav and 12.1 having ht telematics and the Non Nav not. They do have some Non Nav with telematics as well but not sure the new ram has that option.

Sounds as though you are pretty good with this knowledge. I have one question to ask. I have the 4C non nav in my truck. Found out i have to change the display and the module. Bought the display from craigslist in Detriot for 300. Great deal. Am waiting on module to come in now. After tons of research i feel sure everything will plug in. My question on the back of the display about middle is a square connector which is no problem. I know what goes here. Next to it is a white connector white. I don't have a white wire in my wiring to to plug there

Users who are viewing this thread