5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

kingkasc

Reaction score
Hey guys I found a display with the vent part too for only $300. The guy cant prove that it works, anyone know if i can plug it in my 8.4 to see if it works properly before I buy? Thanks

jungleskipper

Reaction score
Just a quick sanity check: Can the 12.1 screen be directly installed into a truck with the 8.4 WITH NAV? I thought I knew, but confusion has set in...

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a quick sanity check: Can the 12.1 screen be directly installed into a truck with the 8.4 WITH NAV? I thought I knew, but confusion has set in...
No. The module used by the 8.4 nav and 12.1 are different. You will have to have the module for the 12.1

Ram41313

Reaction score
O
No. The module used by the 8.4 nav and 12.1 are different. You will have to have the module for the 12.1
onlineradiocodes.com can decode any radio and get you a new code if the radio is locked

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
O

onlineradiocodes.com can decode any radio and get you a new code if the radio is locked
This isn't about unlocking the radio. The screen is just a screen in these new trucks, at least with nav units. The module is the "brain" for the screen. The 8.4 nav and 12.1 use different brains to operate them.

bill

Reaction score
Hey guys I found a display with the vent part too for only $300. The guy cant prove that it works, anyone know if i can plug it in my 8.4 to see if it works properly before I buy? Thanks

It should work if you 8.4 already had nav. (i think) With the price you paid you must have got yours fron the same place i did. I will be installing mine later today if you want to wait and check back.

Hmg346

Reaction score
Hey bill , the ad module is for the 8.4. The ah module is supposedly for the 12.1. So i have read. Supposedly u can buy he module off any mopar parts plac. Evn dealers list it. Its about 800$

Hmg346

Reaction score
Just got off phone with dealer about the 12 in mudule. Dodge chrysler has th part locked meaning a coustome cant order the part needs to bring the truck in to the dealer th technician needst to look at truck. Then call chrysler to get approval to order the module for replacement or warranty work......

Hummmmmm,mm. Think they dont want us retro fitting he 12 in into the 8.4 truck,,,,,,,

S

Smashy71

Just got off phone with dealer about the 12 in mudule. Dodge chrysler has th part locked meaning a coustome cant order the part needs to bring the truck in to the dealer th technician needst to look at truck. Then call chrysler to get approval to order the module for replacement or warranty work......

Hummmmmm,mm. Think they dont want us retro fitting he 12 in into the 8.4 truck,,,,,,,
At msrp cost on the screen and 100+ an hour for shop work it’s probaly not worth the extra four inches.

Hmg346

Reaction score
I can do the work just need em to flash it lol. Imcan buy a screen but the module is the trick the modules show up on all the mopar parts site for about 790$. So i called the dealer. He told me its blocked for sale on out market.... only a technician can order the part, thats so f*$*#)#). Up

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can do the work just need em to flash it lol. Imcan buy a screen but the module is the trick the modules show up on all the mopar parts site for about 790$. So i called the dealer. He told me its blocked for sale on out market.... only a technician can order the part, thats so f*$*#)#). Up
You can order it online from various sites, many other members have. The dealer just doesn't want to sell them. The trouble is going to be that a dealer is going to need to flash the computer for full functionality and you are going to be hard pressed to find a dealer to cooperate unless you know somebody. Aftermarket companies will have it figured out soon. There are other programs out there to write to the computer.

bill

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Been fooling with all this for around two months. Factoryradio advertises module to fit both the 8.4 and the 12.1. Maybe so. I can't say for sure. What i can say is i tried the ad twice, with a 12.1 display. The first time i was missing the LVDS cable. It is not in a truck that came without nav. Installed it and still no screen. Emailed Factoryradio and was told to try a hard reset on computer. In a Ram you have to take off both battery cables and touch them together. This worked to clear computer on my 2016 Ram. Would not clear computer on this 2019. What i have would probably work if you knew a dealer that would flash the computer. They got me there. Luckily i am able to return module for refund. I am going to sell 12.1 display if anyone wants one. I'm not going to fool around with this any more. Thanks

Ram41313

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Been fooling with all this for around two months. Factoryradio advertises module to fit both the 8.4 and the 12.1. Maybe so. I can't say for sure. What i can say is i tried the ad twice, with a 12.1 display. The first time i was missing the LVDS cable. It is not in a truck that came without nav. Installed it and still no screen. Emailed Factoryradio and was told to try a hard reset on computer. In a Ram you have to take off both battery cables and touch them together. This worked to clear computer on my 2016 Ram. Would not clear computer on this 2019. What i have would probably work if you knew a dealer that would flash the computer. They got me there. Luckily i am able to return module for refund. I am going to sell 12.1 display if anyone wants one. I'm not going to fool around with this any more. Thanks
Price?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone in SA, Texas area trying this, I’m willing to find time to do the programming side of it. And get me jumping on some info/answers for others here on other stuff.

Warning: WiTECH does track things done through its system. I’m a ‘dealer’ but aftermarket so be aware of possibility of warranty issues may arise down the line if dealer is picky enough.
Yet again you probably know this going in this deep already:LOL:

Hmg346

Reaction score
Hey bill everything i have read says there are different moduels. One for the 12 and one for the 8 in, i have the 8 in nave in my truck so i should have that cable already. Right?

Hmg346

Reaction score
You can order it online from various sites, many other members have. The dealer just doesn't want to sell them. The trouble is going to be that a dealer is going to need to flash the computer for full functionality and you are going to be hard pressed to find a dealer to cooperate unless you know somebody. Aftermarket companies will have it figured out soon. There are other programs out there to write to the computer.
What programs are there to flash ourselves?

Users who are viewing this thread