5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

TXlaramie

Reaction score
That connector plugs into and powers the physical controls on trucks with the 8.4 screen. Even with it left unplugged, the physical A/C controls still work on the 12.1”. The only things that didn’t work for me are the audio volume knobs and the radio tuning knobs.

Biggziggie

Reaction score
That connector plugs into and powers the physical controls on trucks with the 8.4 screen. Even with it left unplugged, the physical A/C controls still work on the 12.1”. The only things that didn’t work for me are the audio volume knobs and the radio tuning knobs.
Yes, but the screen doesnt turn on, the volume knob button doesnt work, the hazards dont turn on. That plug needs to be plugged in somewhere somehow

TXlaramie

Reaction score
Did you see my previous post? I had the same issue until I switched out the actual silver radio behind the screen. The radio unit I replaced mine with came from the same truck that I got the 12” screen from. Are you trying to use the unit that came stock with your truck?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you have your truck together but it would really b helpful if you could get a pic of where the plug was plugged into originally so I can see what's in it. Also if you could take a pic of the plug that did plug into the screen.

That way I can pull the diagrams on them and post

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I see some things but the tech authority doesn’t break working by vin it throws all versions in and you have to sort it out. So having something to go bye will help to make sense. From what I am seeing is the hazard sense wore and can bus wires are in different spots and you’ll have to just repin that 8 pin connector and it will work

But I won’t give any info until I can confirm what you have now

TXlaramie

Reaction score
1538098919923.jpeg
1538098945292.jpeg
1538099002187.jpeg
These are the only pics I have at the moment. The silver part is the back of the 8.4” screen and the other pic is the connector that doesn’t plug into the 12” screen.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll have to rep in the connector at the screen. The plug at the bottom has the can bus and the hazard sense in it. You’ll have to rep in from that connector to the one that plugs into the screen .

I can post the connectors so you can decipher what needs to be moved. I could tell you but I get nervous telling someone something like that.

Attachments

• F9D1AFAA-8F9E-4BA1-B20B-3087FBA25C37.jpeg
    F9D1AFAA-8F9E-4BA1-B20B-3087FBA25C37.jpeg
    874.7 KB · Views: 552
  • 81BCAD95-E05F-462E-9776-AF85FDAAF4EA.jpeg
    81BCAD95-E05F-462E-9776-AF85FDAAF4EA.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 536

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, how do these 8.4”->12” changes affect the radio/amplifier/speaker outputs? Which module do the audio outputs come out of... the silver flat thing behind the screen? Is that silver thing the “radio” with a part number # 68340282AC? Then it shoots the signals to the amp under the driver’s seat?

Tai

Reaction score

What trim do you have? I’m wanting to do this but the dealer said it’s not compatible with my truck. I have the big horn.

Tai

Reaction score
No i didnt see if it was working. But im pretty sure the last plug that i couldnt plug into the 12 inch navigation is the reason for it not turning on. But everything else has turned on.
You know your stuff! Appreciate the information!
I’ve read you not only have to swap the screen but you also have to swap the radio behind the screen to match the mode screen you have.

BGRAM

Reaction score
Last edited:

RamRebel19

Reaction score
I've already got a 12" screen. Anyone have a part number on the radio module for the 12"? Or a link to purchase one?

xo151

Reaction score
xo151 if you search 2019 Ram 1500 on Detroit Craigslist is pulls up quite a few 12.1 screens. These likely wont come with the radio module, but its worth a star for anyone looking to take on this project. I am sure the seller will ship in the US.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/search/pta?query=2019+ram+1500
Thanks for the lead! Now to find a radio module and hopefully someone will figure out the audio knobs and such by then.

gatorhwk

Reaction score
Do you think all these screens on CL are essentially the same unit expect for the trim?

*EDIT* I see they'll potentially have different buttons and switches, but I'm just trying to verify that the screen itself and standard controls (knobs, side buttons, etc) are standard between screens.

Last edited:

xo151

Reaction score
Do you think all these screens on CL are essentially the same unit expect for the trim?

*EDIT* I see they'll potentially have different buttons and switches, but I'm just trying to verify that the screen itself and standard controls (knobs, side buttons, etc) are standard between screens.

I'm also wondering if the radio module is independent of the screen itself.

LeatherDog

Reaction score
I would bet it just needs to be unlocked at the dealer. The screens don't work at all when they come in, and are activated during the PDI process, as far as I know. Most likely, the dealer can get it to turn on for you. Head there... They may charge you a fee to do this.

LeatherDog

Reaction score
My new 2019 Laramie has the 8.4 navigation. I want to swap with navigation with this new 12 inch screen that i bought off of craigslist. I unscrewed the 8.4 inch navigation, and plugged in the new 12 inch navigation.. (all the original plugs, fit right into the new navigation... besides one....)

The screen doesnt come on, but everything else lights up. The parking sensor switches work as well. But the SCREEN doesnt turn on. Any suggestions... please lol

Probably have the extra connector for the Analog buttons and knobs you would no longer need with the 12". Leave the extra connector off. Most likely, you just need to take the truck, with the new 12" display installed, and have them program it, or unlock it. I am going to do this to my Big Horn, and will report how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread