5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that other thread and he had mentioned that he hadn't seen the original unit actually power up and wasn't sure what his issue was. I created a separate thread from that one to ask my question from a wiring/software point. Does anyone know if these newer trucks have their stuff "VIN locked?" Is it plug and play? As far as it looks, the plugs look very similar if they aren't the same... I've done stereo installation and have a lot of experience with wiring and such.
Hopefully some of the techs that participate here will chime in, but we've had members get screens swapped out at dealers, so it's possible.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Another question, is there a way to check if the radio unit already has a VIN loaded to it? And if it is VIN locked, can my dealership unlock it or flash it for me?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these newer trucks have their stuff "VIN locked?" Is it plug and play?
Also, radios on the 4th gens were locked by vin and would not work without the proper programming
<-From the other thread, and since Ram doesn’t seem to be loosening their control or complexity of electronics I would wager 5th gen to be locked too. It’ll be good to get someone who really knows in here though.

Thanks for the explanation and I now get why you started a separate thread, but I’ll merge them as most folks interested in one will want to follow both anyways. Heck, I found a third, even older thread on the exact same topic. You are not alone! (y)

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Biggziggie, can you post a picture of the plug and the jack that you couldn't get to connect? I'm going to try and track down some diagrams and see if the plugs are different part numbers.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The difficulty depends on if you have an 8.4 with nav or without. with nav its pretty straight forward. Without its different because the telematics as well as the Non Nav is a all contained unit and the 8.4 with nav is the same as the 12.1 just different size screen.

You do need a new module and screen. If you have the 8.4 no nav you have to also make the plug for the screen that has the power and can bus for the screen the lvds cable

Tbeta327

Reaction score
I currently have the 8.4" w/out nav. So the connections do not fit the 12.1". Do you know if/where I can buy an adapter for the connections to work?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I currently have the 8.4" w/out nav. So the connections do not fit the 12.1". Do you know if/where I can buy an adapter for the connections to work?
Ok.. let me try to clear up what I said.
The main plug is the same.

What is different - the 8.4 Non Nav is a self contained unit.

the 12.1 and 8.4 nav have a brain mounted remotely and the screen is fed through a combination of a standard plug and an LVDS cable. The plug has power and can bus so that will not be present in the truck with 8.4 Non Nav( I do not think) and would have to be wired in.

Since you have the 8.4 Non Nav you would need the 12.1 brain the LVDS cable the main plug is the same although not certain that it will reach where the remote brain is mounted in the other since the plug goes to the center stack on that one and where the brain is on the others

The other thing to take into account is the HVAC. The 12.1 I am fairly certain only available with auto climate. So not sure how that will work.

The easier swap is going to be 8.4 nav to 12.1

I have heard that infotainment.com is working on this and have it somewhat working.

So If I hear anything on that I will update. For the DYI it will take some work to figure out the little bugs. because there could be sales codes that have to be enabled to make it all work correctly.

Like I said the main problem being the 8.4 with nav and 12.1 having ht telematics and the Non Nav not. They do have some Non Nav with telematics as well but not sure the new ram has that option.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone verified that the 8.4nav hmi and 12.1 hmi are the same part number? The 12.1 obviously requires additional code to perform its functions as well requiring a more powerful processor. It's possible the modules are the same and the 8.4 just doesn't utilize everything also possible they're different GM used different modules depending on screen size and nav options and then added additional modules when they started offering car play and android auto because the old modules didn't have enough processor power to add the features by software alone

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone verified that the 8.4nav hmi and 12.1 hmi are the same part number? The 12.1 obviously requires additional code to perform its functions as well requiring a more powerful processor. It's possible the modules are the same and the 8.4 just doesn't utilize everything also possible they're different GM used different modules depending on screen size and nav options and then added additional modules when they started offering car play and android auto because the old modules didn't have enough processor power to add the features by software alone
They are different I know this for sure

TXlaramie

Reaction score
I did the swap in my Laramie that originally had the 8.4 with Nav. When I first swapped in the 12” screen, it was blank. I then swapped out my radio module with the one that came with the 12” screen and everything powered on. Everything works except, the volume knob, tuning knob and the screen blank button. Pushing the volume knob will still turn off the unit though. The steering wheel volume buttons still work and the on screen radio controls also work. I haven’t been able to get updated software to flash the 12” to see if that would make the knobs work or not.

gatorhwk

Reaction score
I did the swap in my Laramie that originally had the 8.4 with Nav. When I first swapped in the 12” screen, it was blank. I then swapped out my radio module with the one that came with the 12” screen and everything powered on. Everything works except, the volume knob, tuning knob and the screen blank button. Pushing the volume knob will still turn off the unit though. The steering wheel volume buttons still work and the on screen radio controls also work. I haven’t been able to get updated software to flash the 12” to see if that would make the knobs work or not.

Please keep us posted on your progress! I'm looking at Bighorns and this is something I'm interested in doing since the 12.1 isn't available. Is there anything that needs to be addressed with the paddle switches when doing this?

Where did you pick up the 12.1 unit ... dealer or online?

Reactions: Tai

TXlaramie

Reaction score
What paddle switches are you referring to? I bought it online.

TXlaramie

Reaction score
I don’t have those options on my truck, so they aren’t working. They didn’t affect anything on my truck though.

gatorhwk

Reaction score
@TXlaramie, just to confirm ... you don't have any options that require these switches? I just assumed all Laramies had base options that required one or two of these.

1538069050611.png

Last edited:

TXlaramie

Reaction score
I just realized I misunderstood your question. I swapped out the set of toggle switches that came with the screen with the set from my truck. It’s held in with screws so it’s easy to swap out. It works as it should.

Biggziggie

Reaction score
Heres a picture. The yellow finger indicated what plugged back into the new 12 inch nav. That last plug had nowhere to go, and thats why im guessing the screen doesnt work as it should. Spoke to an audio guy who is going to work on it for me. He said he needs to see what the harness looks like in the trucks that come with this screen as a stock and he will go from there

Attachments

• B289C57F-DD05-4AD7-9EAA-551A93534EA1.jpeg
    B289C57F-DD05-4AD7-9EAA-551A93534EA1.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 1,035

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll look on tech authority. Most likely there are wires from that connector that needs to transfer to the screen plug.

Users who are viewing this thread