5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Apparently another guy had same issue and this supposedly solved his issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The last thing I can think of also is the termination of the connector to the display screen. These are the parts to make a new plug, which are the exact same parts that FCA uses, a little cheaper, though-
Female connector- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=307001081
Female connector terminals (5)- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1393366-1/A101883CT-ND/2700940

Here’s what I do know:
It doesn’t matter what state the ignition is in to make the changes with AlfaOBD. If you are sitting in your house, and the MX is in Bluetooth range to your device, you can configure the entire BCM without even entering the truck.

The security bypass you are using is wired and installed correctly.

The wire positions are correct on the plug for the display, although the termination is sketchy.

Whether or not the bypass is left installed has no bearing on the operation of the radio. There are countless confirmed people that have done this, and leave the bypass in place, whether it is the kind you have or the kind that replaces the SGM.

There are only two changes that need to take place to make this work when going from 8.4 non-nav to 12”, and you are seeing them set correctly (although I would still like to see the log of the bussed inputs/outputs and ECU qualifications when the ignition is in run vs when the ignition is off).

dougstheman86

Reaction score
@Jimmy07, I have all the above connectors to make me a plug. I just ended up installing before they came in the mail.
4fd196d9d76f4e787d59091ae8c8f495.jpg

dougstheman86

Reaction score
I’m going to keep trying to get the ECU Qualifications. For some stupid reason no matter what I do it pulls up yesterday’s log. I followed your directions how to do it exactly.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Do you think it could be possible it’s the android app or ALFA is just broke? Lol since I know I’m the windows version you go to advanced options and change over to the (RU Pacifica 2017)....that’s not an option in the android version.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to keep trying to get the ECU Qualifications. For some stupid reason no matter what I do it pulls up yesterday’s log. I followed your directions how to do it exactly.

Are you scrolling all the way down on the log? The log will just keep adding to the original one each time you upload it

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Are you scrolling all the way down on the log? The log will just keep adding to the original one each time you upload it

Yes I am and I wait over 5 mins after it’s done and it ends at key ignition and has a line under it. I will show you in a few after I’m done waiting on this 2 hour system reset.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The last thing I can think of also is the termination of the connector to the display screen. These are the parts to make a new plug, which are the exact same parts that FCA uses, a little cheaper, though-
Female connector- https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=307001081
Female connector terminals (5)- https://www.digikey.com/product-det...amp-connectors/1393366-1/A101883CT-ND/2700940

Here’s what I do know:
It doesn’t matter what state the ignition is in to make the changes with AlfaOBD. If you are sitting in your house, and the MX is in Bluetooth range to your device, you can configure the entire BCM without even entering the truck.

The security bypass you are using is wired and installed correctly.

The wire positions are correct on the plug for the display, although the termination is sketchy.

Whether or not the bypass is left installed has no bearing on the operation of the radio. There are countless confirmed people that have done this, and leave the bypass in place, whether it is the kind you have or the kind that replaces the SGM.

There are only two changes that need to take place to make this work when going from 8.4 non-nav to 12”, and you are seeing them set correctly (although I would still like to see the log of the bussed inputs/outputs and ECU qualifications when the ignition is in run vs when the ignition is off).
I understand that guys are leaving the bypass installed and it works. I was just trying to make sure no stone was left unturned here. This is a tough deal for this guy. Very frustrating. I am concerned about his inability to use the windows version. 2 things here. I would try a different windows laptop. Almost seems like his computer is blocking access like a firewall or antivirus does. I don't like the look of that plug that he re-pinned. Those kind of pins are finnicky even when they look perfect. And his do not look good.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
@Bram2019, I am going to make a new harness tomorrow but I really don’t think that could be the issue. Also, I’ve tried ALFAOBD on my desktop computer as well, same exact errors. I’m going to send a debug log tomorrow to ALFA.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Currently have ALFAOBD on android phone, my laptop and my desktop lol

Bram2019

Reaction score
Currently have ALFAOBD on android phone, my laptop and my desktop lol

The common denominator is the pod connected to the obd port then. What interface are you selecting in windows Alfaobd. If I remember it give you choices

dougstheman86

Reaction score
I am using the known OBD to work with ALFA and my computer automatically connects to my 2019 version 3. I FaceTime’d with @Jimmy07 a little bit ago and he seen everything in ALFAOBD so I’m not crazy here lol

aa3c0fc694171c04b2fdd788c96177aa.jpg

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Also, this is the 2nd OBD module I’m trying now....

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Also, my logs clearly show changes went through the BCM.
b4a762d47359e764715212b821102de3.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that guys are leaving the bypass installed and it works. I was just trying to make sure no stone was left unturned here. This is a tough deal for this guy. Very frustrating. I am concerned about his inability to use the windows version. 2 things here. I would try a different windows laptop. Almost seems like his computer is blocking access like a firewall or antivirus does. I don't like the look of that plug that he re-pinned. Those kind of pins are finnicky even when they look perfect. And his do not look good.
I hear ya, and it’s frustrating for sure. I spent some time on the phone with Doug, so I could lay eyes on everything going on. It’s definitely an anomaly compared to known successful swaps. Any chance you (or anyone here with a working swap) can upload your BCM dump? I’ve got a few of his that I’m going to run through WinMerge to compare, and it’d be nice to have another one.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I hear ya, and it’s frustrating for sure. I spent some time on the phone with Doug, so I could lay eyes on everything going on. It’s definitely an anomaly compared to known successful swaps. Any chance you (or anyone here with a working swap) can upload your BCM dump? I’ve got a few of his that I’m going to run through WinMerge to compare, and it’d be nice to have another one.
Won't have access to it until Monday. I will see what I can do.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@dougstheman86.... I'm rooting for you man, I know how frustrating these things can be at times. I wish I had the expertise to help you but it looks like your in good hands.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
eeda617de76bf4b73657057a61728c88.jpg

My radio wiring...truck side... does not have these cables.... any insight as to what these are that have been circled with blue arrows

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
eeda617de76bf4b73657057a61728c88.jpg

My radio wiring...truck side... does not have these cables.... any insight as to what these are that have been circled with blue arrows

Green Fakra is WiFi/Bluetooth. Pink (on the left) is Cellular 2, and the purple is Cellular 1. If they are all left disconnected, the radio module will store open circuit faults for each one, but won’t affect anything. I’m running a UAV radio in my 2017, and my Bluetooth connection would get squirrelly if I had my phone in my pocket. This was fixed when I added the WiFi/Bluetooth antenna. The black circled connector is not designated for anything on a Ram, but it just happens to be the exact same connector as the C1 connector on the central vision process module for surround view.

Users who are viewing this thread