5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Bram2019

Reaction score
Taking off my bypass now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted you to pull battery cable so everything powered down including the bcm. It possible it could cause a problem but very unlikely. The fuse will only kill the radio. Not good enough. Even if pulling the battery cable causes any issue, it will go away after driving awhile

dougstheman86

Reaction score
@Bram2019, when you say “it requires a couple key cycles” when I connect everything back up what shall I do? Take it for a drive come back and shut it off and then drive again? Or should I cycle it from off, acc, and run a few times?

Bram2019

Reaction score
@Bram2019, when you say “it requires a couple key cycles” when I connect everything back up what shall I do? Take it for a drive come back and shut it off and then drive again? Or should I cycle it from off, acc, and run a few times?

I would start the truck and. Drive it for 5 minutes. Shut it off. Pull key out of truck, close the door. wait 2 minutes for bus to power down, Then restart truck again. The biggest thing is to get your screen and knobs working. If that all works the rest will follow. Sometimes some of the functions take awhile to get going. As long as the screen works correctly and the knobs work, you are good to go. Keep your fingers crossed

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Oh I am I’ve been through hell with this

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Just went for the 5 minute drive, had the driver settings (heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, no passenger controls, no back up camera. Shut it off and waiting 2 minutes now lol. Not feeling very confident this is going to work. Oh yeah, knobs didn’t work either @Bram2019.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Started it back up after 2 mins and same thing screen actually came on so that’s a plus. Will wait a few more mins and try again. Knobs not working still/ no passenger settings.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Just went for the 5 minute drive, had the driver settings (heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, no passenger controls, no back up camera. Shut it off and waiting 2 minutes now lol. Not feeling very confident this is going to work. Oh yeah, knobs didn’t work either @Bram2019.

If I remember right, some guys claimed it took more than an hour for everything to pull over and work. Be patient with it.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Ok, I’ll let it sit for an hour until I try it again.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most likely that is the problem. The bcm looks for the security gateway. If it does not see it, it should throw a U0001 code in the bcm which knocks out the radio most likely. The gateway is the device that the bcm goes through to communicate to the radio. It appears the radio pin out is correct. It appeared you set the bcm properly. I would try and reconnect the security gateway bus wires back to stock. Pull the battery cable for 30 minutes. Reconnect, turn the key on and hopefully it works. I did the same install for a guy I know. I used a bypass dongle to bypass the gateway. Once I was done with everything I reinstalled the gateway back to stock and everything worked. That is also the reason you saw the gateway disabled when you looked at the screen on your phone. Give it a shot. I think it will work. may require a few key cycles
The way his bypass is built, the SGM is still in place and working properly. Even if the Bypass is used that replaces the SGM, then the radio is now connected directly with all the other modules.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
@Bram2019, I let it sit nearly an hour. Went out and started the truck radio screen isn’t coming on.

Bram2019

Reaction score
@Bram2019, I let it sit nearly an hour. Went out and started the truck radio screen isn’t coming on.

The only thing I can think of is when you changed the pin out on the plug, the sockets are not making a good connection at times. This all assumes the radio and module were good when you bought them of course. I guess you could try and wiggle the plug and see what happens. Beyond that I don't know. When I did the conversion, I bought the adapter plug from NJH3409 so I did not need to touch the pins.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The way his bypass is built, the SGM is still in place and working properly. Even if the Bypass is used that replaces the SGM, then the radio is now connected directly with all the other modules.
That creates a problem where there bcm does not see the radio as passing through the sgm. That opens a can of worms. I do not know what will happen. The bcm looks for the radio bus to go through the sgm so it is secure and can't be hacked. In the poster issue, I am beginning to think it is more of a pin fit problem in the plug he re-pinned.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
That creates a problem where there bcm does not see the radio as passing through the sgm. That opens a can of worms. I do not know what will happen. The bcm looks for the radio bus to go through the sgm so it is secure and can't be hacked. In the poster issue, I am beginning to think it is more of a pin fit problem in the plug he re-pinned.

So what should my next step be? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the pins as they are all properly connected and fully seated. Also, it don’t explain why it turns on after I pull the fuse and other times it don’t....

Bram2019

Reaction score
So what should my next step be? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the pins as they are all properly connected and fully seated. Also, it don’t explain why it turns on after I pull the fuse and other times it don’t....

I do not know. It appears you set the bcm correctly. You did do this in the run position, correct? That only leaves the pin fit at the radio plug. Did you ask the seller if this was working when he sold it to you. The other thing is when I did it, I used the windows version of alfaobd on a laptop and set it up using the 2017 pacifica as posted in 309. I know there is now a 2019 dt version available, but I am trying everything here. If it becomes an issue, FCA has a repair kit. 68440510AA for the plug.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Every time I try windows version I get this glorious message
18853afb0c765962f977ea1102f53b1e.jpg

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Fully Disconnected the battery and going to let it sit for 2 hours

Users who are viewing this thread