5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Toyota Tundra

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK, let's play this out: I presume you have already sold your house (in this amazing seller's market) and moved into a small apartment? In your words, it would absolutely be "the fiscally responsible thing to do" right now, and "to not seriously consider it is a big mistake". After all, this is a "...once in a lifetime event that we may never see again." I don't know about you, but I don't feel like moving just because I can get a great price.

Now, I'm not ignoring the market. KBB shows really good numbers for my truck, with a trade-in value of $59K and private party of $61K. I checked with Vroom and was not impressed ($54K). Carvana was a complete waste of time ($43K).

So...since I still need a vehicle, I'll keep my custom-ordered, loaded, and relatively problem-free (never to be taken for granted) Longhorn. I'll still have my Lifetime MaxCare warranty, too. The cost of me "doing nothing" over the next five years vs. any potential premium I'd collect in the present market and then turn around and spend on other vehicle(s) during that time frame is just as likely to work out in my favor as trying to "time the market" on selling and repurchasing.

Now we can both sit back and wait for EVs to go mainstream ;)
The difference Speedy is that, if you sell your house, you really have no where to go but an apartment. However, selling your vehicle still leaves you with a ton of great choices on new vehicles that could easily get you by until the market normalizes. I bought my 2021 Subaru Forester Limited because it's practical, super safe, and retains its value better than any other "used" automobile. I also got a very fair price on it below factory invoice, as most all cars and midsize SUV's I was looking at as they are not nearly as impacted as the truck market. Interestingly enough, I have been in my house 4.5 years (built it from scratch with all the bells and whistles). I have been offered over $200K more than I could have sold it for just a year ago. Have I thought about it? Absolutely. Does it make the same sense as trading in a car to easily buy a replacement? No, it does not as a house and a "car or truck" are two totally different animals and cannot be compared as you attempted to above.

I don't think I will ever buy a 100% EV...I would buy a hybrid truck, but not a fully EV based on infrastructure issues and poor range. In 10 years, or by 2030, with battery technology allowing for 500-600 mile range on an EV pickup and a charging station on every corner as we have gas stations, that may catch my attention. My sights are set for the 2023 model year and I certainly look forward to what's to come my friend :)

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my truck but $10k is $10k, Securityguy is right this is likely a once in a century type situation. I've been in and around the car business for 20+ years and I have never seen anything like this even remotely. Sure there are a few vehicles that barely depreciate(Wrangler, Tacoma, some Subarus) and there are a rare few that actually appricate(exotics, Shelbys, C7 and C8 Vettes) during "normal times". I mean even my 97 Civic ****box is worth 1-1.5k more than it normally would be any other time. Luckily my brother is the GSM so I'll get invoice less holdback on a new Wrangler once it get delivered, trade in the truck and Civic, lower my monthly payment significantly and in a year or so when the 23's hit I'll be in excellent position to get back into a truck or whatever else may be out there.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I will ever buy a 100% EV...I would buy a hybrid truck, but not a fully EV based on infrastructure issues and poor range. In 10 years, or by 2030, with battery technology allowing for 500-600 mile range on an EV pickup and a charging station on every corner as we have gas stations, that may catch my attention.
I don't think I will either. Regardless of infrastructure improvement I don't think it will support multiple days of camping and off-roading. Even if it does I don't find it enticing to carve out hours to have my truck charge up.

I held out and made the jump from halogen headlights (2003 Ford) straight to LEDs (2019 RAM). I plan to do the same with EV technology and go straight from a gas engine (or hybrid like you mentioned) to something that still has a tank to fill, whether that's a generator that charges the vehicle or a fuel cell.

I'm not against lowering emissions (although I do love hearing, smelling, and driving a nice V-8) but I want to be able to "add miles" in a matter of minutes like I can at the gas station now.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Digital rearview mirror and wider screen look nice. I'd say 'larger' but you don't get to see how tall the screen is (is the screen portrait or landscape?).

Curious to see how far "down" those options reach or if those are reserved for higher package trims. One of the things I like about RAM is that there are a lot of premium options available for a Bighorn (7" EVIC, heated wheel/seats, etc.) and aren't all reserved for trucks that come with leather seats.

On a side note it's nice to see 3 bars of LTE service on the trail even though there's not much in the way of Food, Drinks, or Shopping nearby. ;)

Derek cornett

Reaction score
Idk boys and girls... that white and black Tundra is looking really good. Here's my 2020 next to the 2022 Tundra. I bought my truck black Friday 2019 for $35,500 out the door. The market is INSANE right now with Carmax offering me $39,000, Carvana offering me $36,000 and my original dealer offering me $44,000.
Ahhh...i think ill stick with RAM..I'm gonna wait to see what the 2023 changes are.....word is exterior and interior changes and new powertrains.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm going to be on the market for a new truck this fall/winter. While I will likely just go with a '22 3.0, I do intend to scope out the Powerboost, Denali 3.0 (presuming the interior refresh isn't a dumpster fire), and the Tundra. I'm especially interested in the hybrid powertrain option the Tundra is rumored to get.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I do need a truck for a cross country move I'll be making here soon. I guess it just depends on what kind of MPG the Toyota will get, right now I'm averaging 22.5 in my V6 Ram 80 city 20 highway. (I live 3 miles from work)
I’ll bet you can rent a UHaul and still probably be cheaper than your payment, assuming you have one. If you are even considering something else, you will never get a trade in value like now. I sold my ‘19 Limited with 31k, not in pristine condition, for 2K more than I paid. Getting a ‘22 Ram when incentives make sense. Using a 3rd car until then.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm ready to see the new Tundra in person. I can't decide if I like it or not. I'm 50/50 with a slight tilt towards wanting to like it.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I’ll bet you can rent a UHaul and still probably be cheaper than your payment, assuming you have one. If you are even considering something else, you will never get a trade in value like now. I sold my ‘19 Limited with 31k, not in pristine condition, for 2K more than I paid. Getting a ‘22 Ram when incentives make sense. Using a 3rd car until then.
My payment is $308.95 and I owe $9,700 on it. Everyday that $45,000 is sounding pretty good. 😅

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
American flag won’t look the same waving from the back of a Toyota🇯🇵

Users who are viewing this thread