5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying if I currently have the auto-dim mirror on a 2019 Laramie that we just need the cable and the brake light assembly? Or is the factory auto dim mirror different than this new digital mirror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you already have the auto dim feature, the connection is the same exact thing. All you would need is that FAKRA cable which gets ran from the back of the CHMSL camera to the back of the second connector on the mirror. It’s full plug and play

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@jdmdc5teg06

How is mirror brightness and video quality at night time, could brightness be a detraction? Any chance of posting addition pics and or videos?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying if I currently have the auto-dim mirror on a 2019 Laramie that we just need the cable and the brake light assembly? Or is the factory auto dim mirror different than this new digital mirror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need the digital mirror part to see the CHMSL camera view...

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is where the cargo cam goes on the heavy duty trucks?
Is the HD CHMSL the same form/fit as the 1500 CHMSL? Could the HD part work here for us? Would be sweat to have the digital backup cam on the mirror and the analog cargo cam on the center console...

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Is the HD CHMSL the same form/fit as the 1500 CHMSL? Could the HD part work here for us? Would be sweat to have the digital backup cam on the mirror and the analog cargo cam on the center console...
That would be awesome! The actual CHMSL from the HD doesn’t fit our 1500 DT’s. That’s why I was actually looking at that little piece to see if that’s a cover that can be removed to then purchase a separate camera for the cargo area

Reactions: cj7

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After looking at the front of this digital mirror, and seeing there is only one part number for it, just something to be aware of for everyone looking to do this- If you currently have an auto dim mirror, and you have auto high beams, but do NOT have adaptive cruise/FCW/lane keep assist, then you will lose the auto high beam feature by installing the digital mirror. This is because the digital mirror doesn’t have the auto high beam camera. Mirrors on trucks that do not have ACC/FCW have the auto high beam camera on them. Trucks that have ACC/FCW use the camera in the driver assist module next to the mirror for auto high beams.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If your vehicle comes with auto dim then yes. The screen doesn’t need to be activated on the whole time
And the camera comes on only when you put it in reverse or can you make it come on by pushing a button or something? This really could help me with my dark *** tint

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the digital mirror work like a regular mirror when the camera/monitor is switched off? Or is it just dark?

When the digital mirror monitor is on, can you adjust brightness?

Daverous

Reaction score
Yes to both. Although not as reflective as a normal mirror it is still a mirror and very usable. Brightness and focus position can both be controlled via the mirror.

Actually pretty neat. You can move the viewable area up and down via the mirror.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 Any chance the other part of the tech package would be able to be retrofitted? (HUD) Im sure it would at least require AlfaOBD to be able to enable it, a new dash pad, the projector and then some film on the windhshield to properly display the image.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 Any chance the other part of the tech package would be able to be retrofitted? (HUD) Im sure it would at least require AlfaOBD to be able to enable it, a new dash pad, the projector and then some film on the windhshield to properly display the image.
You also need the 2021 instrument cluster (because it has the USB port for the HUD module). You can’t buy a brand new instrument cluster from a mopar parts supplier, so you’d have to wait for a cluster out of a wrecked 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread