5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're right, theres only two screw holes, the two inner ones are replaced with clips. The foam gasket is definetly thicker on the new brake light and it feels like it creates a better seal. However, I havent washed my truck since the install so I can't say for sure lol
I saw the clips and figured they replaced the two screws with those. I'm very curious to know if you have any problems with it leaking.

This one just has a small chip in the corner. I would ship it to someone if they don't mind the chip for $150.
I'm interested in buying this from you if no one has taken it yet. But can you post a pic of the chip? I am not able to see it in the pics you posted.

knightro84

Reaction score
I installed one of these over the weekend on my 2019 Laramie. Eventually would like to get the new style digital rear view mirror to be able to use the camera.

Part number on the digital mirror is 68448641AB. Mopar Factory Parts has it listed for $472. Anyone want to be the guinea pig?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 482

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Following this thread very very closely. Would love to have the rear view mirror and CHMSL work together if purchased and installed. Would also like to know if the bcm will be able to read them to turn the feature on as well. I almost purchased both the CHMSL and the rear view mirror but held back seeing that nobody has officially installed both yet and gotten them to work.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alfaobd will work for the LED lights in the CHMSL, because that setting is already in the list available to change. There’s no setting to enable the digital rear view mirror yet, and when there is, you’ll need the windows version to force the connection to a 2021 BCM to be able to have that setting show up when you connect a 2019/2020 ram.
As far as displaying the image from that camera on the radio display, it all depends what type of camera it is using. That’s why I just need to see the connectors on the back of one of these mirrors. If it’s digital, then no, because the radio’s only digital camera input is already being used for the rear camera. If it’s analog, then yes, but you can’t make it work like it does in the mirror because you would have to configure it as the cargo camera input. That means you’ll have to press the cargo camera soft key on the screen every time you want to bring up the camera image, and it will only display for 10 seconds at a time.
Thx for the info. Two questions:
- I want the cargo cam. What is the cam part number?
- How would I enable it on my 2020 1500 8.4 w/nav?
thx again!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thx for the info. Two questions:
- I want the cargo cam. What is the cam part number?
- How would I enable it on my 2020 1500 8.4 w/nav?
thx again!
There’s no such part as a CHMSL with cargo camera for the DT Rams. The HD Ram CHMSL with cargo camera won’t fit in a DT

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s no such part as a CHMSL with cargo camera for the DT Rams. The HD Ram CHMSL with cargo camera won’t fit in a DT
Thx. Is there a post somewhere on how to enable the extra UConnect video analog input? Assuming it’s a composite video signal, maybe a generic cam can be retro-fitted...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thx. Is there a post somewhere on how to enable the extra UConnect video analog input? Assuming it’s a composite video signal, maybe a generic cam can be retro-fitted...
Yes, you can use any aftermarket analog camera you choose, mount wherever you think is best. Follow these same instructions in the following post, except- you will use pins 21 & 22 on the radio connector, as opposed to 24 & 25 like I stated in the post- https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/adding-oem-front-camera.2571/post-311887

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just confirmed via newly released connector sheets what the two connectors are on the digital rear view mirror-
sQ0S1rB.jpg

TSpZ1H5.jpg

If you already have an auto dim mirror, the connector for it will plug right into the new digital mirror. It’s the same connector and same three circuits. Then you just use one of these coax cables to connect the mirror to the CHMSL camera- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Navig...le+to+female&qid=1606927851&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
I can’t say for sure if it will “just work” once it’s plugged in, but I would think there has to be a setting for it in the BCM that has to be enabled.

Gitter

Reaction score
Sorry for being absent from the thread, been busy replacing drywall in my garage. The tail light has been spoken for, ill respond to the direct messages I have. This is the cargo light at night.
Wow, that looks good! Is it brighter than the original cargo lights you had? It looks like it is, but that could also be due to the camera exposure.

knightro84

Reaction score
I’ve just confirmed via newly released connector sheets what the two connectors are on the digital rear view mirror-
sQ0S1rB.jpg

TSpZ1H5.jpg

If you already have an auto dim mirror, the connector for it will plug right into the new digital mirror. It’s the same connector and same three circuits. Then you just use one of these coax cables to connect the mirror to the CHMSL camera- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Navigation-Satellite-Telematics-Bluetooth/dp/B07P2VBYWZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fakra+z+female+to+female&qid=1606927851&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
I can’t say for sure if it will “just work” once it’s plugged in, but I would think there has to be a setting for it in the BCM that has to be enabled.

Thanks for this! Slightly more inclined now to drop the $475 on the mirror and buy one of those cables you linked to... just to see if it in fact would just "work" - my guess is like yours though that some tweaking would still be required via AlfaOBD to activate it but I imagine that could be figured out in due time.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Slightly more inclined now to drop the $475 on the mirror and buy one of those cables you linked to... just to see if it in fact would just "work" - my guess is like yours though that some tweaking would still be required via AlfaOBD to activate it but I imagine that could be figured out in due time.
Just thinking out loud- the lin bus circuit is definitely used for the auto high beam, and auto dim, because those features are enabled/disabled in the radio settings, and messages are sent to the cluster, also. I don’t see any reason why any other system on message bus needs to know that the digital mirror is using/not using its camera and display. It is very well possible that it is just using the power and ground circuits to turn the display on and off.

moparleo51

Reaction score
so if this works,then we would have to wait for alfabod to be updated to show these new mirror settings ?

knightro84

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud- the lin bus circuit is definitely used for the auto high beam, and auto dim, because those features are enabled/disabled in the radio settings, and messages are sent to the cluster, also. I don’t see any reason why any other system on message bus needs to know that the digital mirror is using/not using its camera and display. It is very well possible that it is just using the power and ground circuits to turn the display on and off.

Maybe I'll burn some Christmas cash later this month on a mirror and see what happens.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so if this works,then we would have to wait for alfabod to be updated to show these new mirror settings ?
That’s what I was just musing about in my post right above yours. The Lin Bus circuit is only used to carry messages to other modules. Auto dim and auto high beams need to be enabled in the radio settings, so Lin bus is needed for those features. As far as I know, there is no radio setting to toggle the digital mirror feature on and off, and there’s no messages that the cluster displays indicating that the digital mirror is being used. The on/off switch on the mirror is the only line of communication from the mirror to the camera, so I really don’t THINK that the BCM (or any other module) needs to know what is happening between the mirror and camera.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Hopefully like Jimmy stated above, this should be able to work with just the power since you're basically just turning on/off the mirror for the camera and that's it. it's not like the HUD option that you can view the settings in the cluster and/or In the uconnect. I don't care for the HUD but definitely want the rearview mirror and CHMSL, so I am willing to purchase those two components along with the FAKRA cable that Jimmy posted to connect both together and see if it works. Now the question is, if it does work, with the sunroof that I have...How the hell will I run the fakra cable to the rearview lol

Daverous

Reaction score
If I can snag the slightly "used" mirror listed above I plan to try it(sent a pm early on about it). Edit* Found the mirror in stock. Tick under 500 with shipping. Hopefully I'll be able to report back in a week or so if people want to wait for me to take the monetary risk.

I'm in the same boat as others regarding the system now that the connector is listed. I feel like it's a decently safe bet to assume the mirror is controlling the on/off signal. More so since the signal isn't integrated into the center stack or cluster.

Last edited:

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Just purchased the CHMSL and the rearview mirror for my 2021 Rebel. I also just purchased the FAKRA cable needed to connect both units. Both units are not in stock and are backordered so if someone ends up receiving both parts and connects them successfully then I'll leave the parts on backorder and get them when I get them. If the parts DO NOT work, then I'll cancel the order and get my money back IF they accept that since the items wont be shipped out.

Please keep advising us on this! Hopefully we get this to work well without AlfaOBD or any software coding and it's just a simple ON/OFF action.

Users who are viewing this thread