5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
You also need the 2021 instrument cluster (because it has the USB port for the HUD module). You can’t buy a brand new instrument cluster from a mopar parts supplier, so you’d have to wait for a cluster out of a wrecked 2021.
How can I check to see if my cluster is a new one? Since my vehicle is a 2021 or is that only the cluster for the vehicles that come with the HUD?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How can I check to see if my cluster is a new one? Since my vehicle is a 2021 or is that only the cluster for the vehicles that come with the HUD?
If you have the premium cluster in a 2021, it should already have the USB port. You’d have to pull the cluster out and check the back if you’re not sure.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you saying if I currently have the auto-dim mirror on a 2019 Laramie that we just need the cable and the brake light assembly? Or is the factory auto dim mirror different than this new digital mirror?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You also need to replace your mirror with the digital mirror.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You also need the 2021 instrument cluster (because it has the USB port for the HUD module). You can’t buy a brand new instrument cluster from a mopar parts supplier, so you’d have to wait for a cluster out of a wrecked 2021.
Well I am looking at a 21 with the premium cluster so that shouldnt be an issue. Is the HUD module available?

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
If you have the premium cluster in a 2021, it should already have the USB port. You’d have to pull the cluster out and check the back if you’re not
If you have the premium cluster in a 2021, it should already have the USB port. You’d have to pull the cluster out and check the back if you’re not sure.
Yeah I should have that premium cluster in my 2021 Rebel. It’s the 7 inch screen that display’s everything on it. Not sure if there’s different variations of the 7 inch screen cluster but my understanding is that there’s the basic 4 inch cluster and the 7 inch cluster which is their “premium” one correct? I have to check it out regardless and see what I have back there

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I should have that premium cluster in my 2021 Rebel. It’s the 7 inch screen that display’s everything on it. Not sure if there’s different variations of the 7 inch screen cluster but my understanding is that there’s the basic 4 inch cluster and the 7 inch cluster which is their “premium” one correct? I have to check it out regardless and see what I have back there
I wonder if the windshield is different on the ram with HUD. I had a car with HUD many years ago and remember the windshield was different, something with it being tinted or polished different.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if the windshield is different on the ram with HUD. I had a car with HUD many years ago and remember the windshield was different, something with it being tinted or polished different.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
It likely is but you can buy special film pretty cheap on amazon. Or "rock chip" and have the autoglass place use the HUD specific windshield.

Daverous

Reaction score
My light finally came in after sitting at the post office for 12 days without movement.

Found the same issue on the cable. Or at least I assume it's the cable at this point. Light and mirror power up and operate fine, but no image. Has the no camera icon on the mirror. Hoping it's the cable at least and not a variation between the 20 and 21 programming. Will report back after I get a new cable.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
My light finally came in after sitting at the post office for 12 days without movement.

Found the same issue on the cable. Or at least I assume it's the cable at this point. Light and mirror power up and operate fine, but no image. Has the no camera icon on the mirror. Hoping it's the cable at least and not a variation between the 20 and 21 programming. Will report back after I get a new cable.
Trying moving the cable around and help it find a sweet spot. That’s what I did before I mounted the mirror and once I mounted the mirror, I moved the cable around side to side like semi “bending” it in different spots until I got the image to show up. After that put the plastic pieces from the mirror housing in and you’re done.

before you buy another cable try what I said.. without mounting the mirror try moving the cable itself once connected to find that spot where it shows the image

Daverous

Reaction score
I played with it for about 40 minutes without success. The whole process took less than 15 minutes excluding that. If it's that finicky I'm a bit worried long term. May see if best buy or someone has one in stock to try tonight.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
I played with it for about 40 minutes without success. The whole process took less than 15 minutes excluding that. If it's that finicky I'm a bit worried long term. May see if best buy or someone has one in stock to try tonight.
That’s very true. That’s why I said I wanted to see about the factory harness and if they would have that cable at either online or the dealer so I can just swap it out on a day that I’m free

Arth

Reaction score
How will you retrofit it in a non-HUD dash??? The dash tops above the cluster are totally different in a non-HUD dash versus a HUD dash.

I am pretty sure it's just the piece over the cluster that's different. That particular piece isn't very big and could be replaced pretty easily.

Heck I'll look at my 2021 tomorrow.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's just the piece over the cluster that's different. That particular piece isn't very big and could be replaced pretty easily.

Heck I'll look at my 2021 tomorrow.
I can assure you that it is not. I had a 2019 and the dash on the 2021 with HUD is a DIFFERENT dash set-up and I see no way that an OEM HUD can be added after the fact. The portion above the gauge cluster is not removable and, in the 2019-2021 non-HUD dashes, the area where the HUD installs is not in alignment with the gauge hood. I would be shocked if this wouldn't require a full dash replacement which makes it cost prohibitive...I look forward to someone proving me wrong ;)

Arth

Reaction score
I can assure you that it is not. I had a 2019 and the dash on the 2021 with HUD is a DIFFERENT dash set-up and I see no way that an OEM HUD can be added after the fact. The portion above the gauge cluster is not removable and, in the 2019-2021 non-HUD dashes, the area where the HUD installs is not in alignment with the gauge hood. I would be shocked if this wouldn't require a full dash replacement which makes it cost prohibitive...I look forward to someone proving me wrong ;)

Interesting. I know you had an issue with your 2019 which is why you traded into a 2021 but I thought the portion over the cluster was separate to some degree. I could be wrong here but it would surprise me if someone doesn't prove you wrong eventually. I know this is what people would be working with. Who knows guess we will see.

20201026_210023.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I know you had an issue with your 2019 which is why you traded into a 2021 but I thought the portion over the cluster was separate to some degree. I could be wrong here but it would surprise me if someone doesn't prove you wrong eventually. I know this is what people would be working with. Who knows guess we will see.

View attachment 77010
Yip. That’s no problem. I’ve retrofitted harder than that with the 12” in a 4th gen. The hardest part about this one would be sourcing a cluster.

Arth

Reaction score
Yip. That’s no problem. I’ve retrofitted harder than that with the 12” in a 4th gen. The hardest part about this one would be sourcing a cluster.

Yeah I know you have. If anyone would be up to the task I figured it'd be you or the crew over there retrofitting 5th Gen stuff onto their 4th Gens.

Users who are viewing this thread