5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting. I know you had an issue with your 2019 which is why you traded into a 2021 but I thought the portion over the cluster was separate to some degree. I could be wrong here but it would surprise me if someone doesn't prove you wrong eventually. I know this is what people would be working with. Who knows guess we will see.

View attachment 77010
The dash on the 2021 with HUD is not separate like the non-HUD dash, but a single piece like in your pic above. I am telling you guys, it can't be done!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yip. That’s no problem. I’ve retrofitted harder than that with the 12” in a 4th gen. The hardest part about this one would be sourcing a cluster.
Think what you will, retrofitting an OEM HUD is far different than retrofitting a radio. The dash with the HUD is a totally different set-up than a traditional dash. If you do attempt this, and don't have to replace your dash, I'll happily eat crow. As an Engineer, I just can't see how it can be done being that the dashboards are totally unique.

Arth

Reaction score
Think what you will, retrofitting an OEM HUD is far different than retrofitting a radio. The dash with the HUD is a totally different set-up than a traditional dash. If you do attempt this, and don't have to replace your dash, I'll happily eat crow. As an Engineer, I just can't see how it can be done being that the dashboards are totally unique.

To be frank what Jimmy is referring to is retrofitting a 12" 5gen dash screen, module, and all other requirements into a 4th gen truck that came with a 8.4. By the way that truck had a totally different dash and button setup but low and behold they have it working. Sounds kind of similar to what we have here right? I see you in that scenario saying the exact same thing and being proven wrong. I don't doubt it is possible to some degree in this setting as well.

I think your fault, if you will, is as an engineer you can't imagine something doing more than what it was designed to do and that is what it is.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be frank what Jimmy is referring to is retrofitting a 12" 5gen dash screen, module, and all other requirements into a 4th gen truck that came with a 8.4. By the way that truck had a totally different dash and button setup but low and behold they have it working. Sounds kind of similar to what we have here right? I see you in that scenario saying the exact same thing and being proven wrong. I don't doubt it is possible to some degree in this setting as well.

I think your fault, if you will, is as an engineer you can't imagine something doing more than what it was designed to do and that is what it is.
Trust me...I have a great imagination and have been messing with mods and electronics on cars for >35 years, but I also understand reality. It would require a MAJOR dash modification to insert and house the HUD electronics. You would have to do a huge HACK job on a traditional dash and that's without knowing what's required underneath to position the electronics to display on the windshield. I can assure you that a non-HUD dash has no such mounting area for this to be done. All you have to do is look at a non-HUD dash and then a HUD dash and you will clearly see the dilemma. I am all for folks taking Chicken **** and turning it into Chicken Salad...but, I am also a realist and look forward to Jimmy showing us all how it's done:)

knightro84

Reaction score
I played with it for about 40 minutes without success. The whole process took less than 15 minutes excluding that. If it's that finicky I'm a bit worried long term. May see if best buy or someone has one in stock to try tonight.

Were you able to get it working? Also, do you have a picture of what the FAKRA plug on the mirror looks like?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Were you able to get it working? Also, do you have a picture of what the FAKRA plug on the mirror looks like?
The fakra on the mirror is white (fakra B keyed), and the connector on the CHMSL camera is black (fakra A keyed). The fakra cable in question uses fakra z connectors (universally keyed).

knightro84

Reaction score
The fakra on the mirror is white (fakra B keyed), and the connector on the CHMSL camera is black (fakra A keyed). The fakra cable in question uses fakra z connectors (universally keyed).

Can't thank you enough for all of your help and knowledge in this thread!

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I know this is kind of off subject... But does anyone know why the hell there is no after market housing options yet for these 5th gens?... Minus the camera obviously... But there is a million LED and blacked out LED housing options out there for the 4th gens for literally 20-30 bucks all over EBAY and all the aftermarket websites... I had a 30 dollar blacked out all LED 3rd brake light on my 2013 Laramie that I bought in 2014 and still worked like new when I traded my 13 in back in September... I love the look of the new ones they just redesigned on these 21s (no idea why they would ever let such a nice truck go to production with the terrible old school looking one I have on my 2020 Longhorn) but the fact that their is no aftermarket options yet has me confused as hell..... And again, I'm not talking about the camera, I just mean a plug and play replacement housing with the built in leds so we don't have to deal with the "fob not detected" bs by replacing the bulbs themselves....any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know this is kind of off subject... But does anyone know why the hell there is no after market housing options yet for these 5th gens?... Minus the camera obviously... But there is a million LED and blacked out LED housing options out there for the 4th gens for literally 20-30 bucks all over EBAY and all the aftermarket websites... I had a 30 dollar blacked out all LED 3rd brake light on my 2013 Laramie that I bought in 2014 and still worked like new when I traded my 13 in back in September... I love the look of the new ones they just redesigned on these 21s (no idea why they would ever let such a nice truck go to production with the terrible old school looking one I have on my 2020 Longhorn) but the fact that their is no aftermarket options yet has me confused as hell..... And again, I'm not talking about the camera, I just mean a plug and play replacement housing with the built in leds so we don't have to deal with the "fob not detected" bs by replacing the bulbs themselves....any thoughts?

Give it a while and you'll find what you're looking for.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Give it a while and you'll find what you're looking for.
I've been waiting lol... These 5th gens have been out for almost 2 years I would think a aftermarket option would be available by now

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been waiting lol... These 5th gens have been out for almost 2 years I would think a aftermarket option would be available by now

I would imagine there won’t be for the exact reason you mentioned- the interference they create with the rf hub directly below it. FCA switched rf hub manufacturers for the 5th gens, and they seem to be much more sensitive to interference than the 4th gens. Third party manufacturers are probably trying, and can’t build a cheap third brake light with reliable enough LED drivers to not cause interference. Just like the replacement bulbs- unreliable. Show me a guy that says lasfit doesn’t work, I’ll show you a guy that says they do. Same with diode dynamics and any other brand.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I would imagine there won’t be for the exact reason you mentioned- the interference they create with the rf hub directly below it. FCA switched rf hub manufacturers for the 5th gens, and they seem to be much more sensitive to interference than the 4th gens. Third party manufacturers are probably trying, and can’t build a cheap third brake light with reliable enough LED drivers to not cause interference. Just like the replacement bulbs- unreliable. Show me a guy that says lasfit doesn’t work, I’ll show you a guy that says they do. Same with diode dynamics and any other brand.
Oh I know! Lol trust me I've been watching and flowing the subject for awhile now! I actually have lasfits in now but had to remove the brake light bulbs and only use the cargo led due to the fob not detected crap... But guys have been talking about how lasfit has an upgraded kit now available that supposedly doesn't cause issues... I havnt "upgraded" to it yet cuz I'm not happy with just the bulbs in this crappy OEM housing... Im waiting for aftermarket housing options or until I get sick of waiting and bite the bullet and pay the 300 for the newer OEM version

Daverous

Reaction score
Frustration mounts. First cable gives me the no camera symbol. Second cable gives me what looks like bad wire?

knightro84

Reaction score
Hopefully @Jimmy07 can shed some light. I'm wondering if the CHMSL connector/wiring is different on the '21 trucks than it is on the '19/20 trucks due to the option of having the camera in the CHMSL now.

Where did you get the FAKRA cable for your second attempt?

mcsedanny

Reaction score
Anyone find better pricing than MoparAmerica.com?

68448641ab $471.97
68444540ab $328.09

The only other thing needed would be the cable and it looks like the 1st Amazon cable used it questionable from two of you and the 2nd link posted I haven't seen any reports. Correct?

Amazon.com: Bingfu Fakra Z Female to Female Vehicle Antenna Extension Cable 3m 10 feet for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module: GPS & Navigation

Amazon.com: StickyDeal Fakra Z Female to Female Car FM Adapter Cable for Volkswagen/Audi Car GPS Navigation FM AM Radio TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module XM Satellite Radio, 5m: Home Audio & Theater

These are the only 3 items needed for a 2019 LongHorn with Adaptive Cruise, Auto Bright Lights and Auto Dimming side and rear view mirrors?

knightro84

Reaction score
I still haven't ordered the mirror, but $470-$475 is par for the course for most OEM part suppliers. I did order a custom FAKRA cable from Pasternack with the correct connectors on each end (instead of the universal "Z" connector on both end, I ordered one with the correct "A" connector on one end and "B" on the other end - based on Jimmy07's post in Post #146).

Based on Daverous' posts above and not having luck getting it to work with two different cables - I'm concerned there is something different about the '19/'20 trucks that won't let it be just plug and play as opposed to the '21 trucks.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on Daverous' posts above and not having luck getting it to work with two different cables - I'm concerned there is something different about the '19/'20 trucks that won't let it be just plug and play as opposed to the '21 trucks.
One way to find out- if @jdmdc5teg06 can open the passenger door, pop the cover off the side of the glovebox, de-pin the Lin bus wire out of this connector, and see if the mirror still works
C05ogRV.jpg
M7pfR4A.jpg

Daverous

Reaction score
I've tried both the Amazon cables listed. Bingfu showed no camera, the other shows the weird cable icon. Couldn't find any locally to try. The bingfu may actually be bad as it's showing open when I ohm it. I requested a replacement and while I wait I'm looking for yet another cable.

I just can't fathom that given the pinouts matching 19-21 it would be a programming issues. Who knows? The cheapest, fastest, thing for me to try is new cables. With it showing two different icons on two different cables I'm still banking on bad luck on a cheap part.

knightro84

Reaction score
Is the wiring for the connector to the CHMSL the same on the '21 as it is on the '19/'20? Not sure if the camera in the CHMSL needs separate power of some kind or not?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the wiring for the connector to the CHMSL the same on the '21 as it is on the '19/'20? Not sure if the camera in the CHMSL needs separate power of some kind or not?
Yes, but that connector with the wires is only for the lighting. The only thing that the camera needs is coax cable to the mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread