5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited w Etorque (3k miles) - Power Shutdown while on the highway

GBFNelson

Reaction score
My service department still couldn't get a firm ETA on my generator/motor replacement and said the best date they can provide is Jan 27. That would mean 47 days in the shop for 54 days of ownership. So I contacted FCA today and said I'm pursuing a lemon law claim and asked if she could help before I turn it over to lawyers. She referred my case to the department that deals with these claims and said they'll be back in 2-3 days. Hoping by midweek next week I have a new truck or get my new truck back fully repaired. Otherwise the lawyers will sort it out.

The only thing about this that really pisses me off is that I know FCA has not shut down production, so they clearly could allocate a part to me, but they're more interested in selling somebody a new truck than taking care of an existing customer.

carlskj

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought about going that route but instead mailed a letter to the FCA regional office giving them 7 days to repair per lemon law requirements. After that it’s off to arbitration.
I agree wholeheartedly that RAM should at a minimum have issued a campaign warning customers of this issue. In my case we loss power steering driving down the highway!
Please keep us posted on your outcome.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My service department still couldn't get a firm ETA on my generator/motor replacement and said the best date they can provide is Jan 27. That would mean 47 days in the shop for 54 days of ownership. So I contacted FCA today and said I'm pursuing a lemon law claim and asked if she could help before I turn it over to lawyers. She referred my case to the department that deals with these claims and said they'll be back in 2-3 days. Hoping by midweek next week I have a new truck or get my new truck back fully repaired. Otherwise the lawyers will sort it out.

The only thing about this that really pisses me off is that I know FCA has not shut down production, so they clearly could allocate a part to me, but they're more interested in selling somebody a new truck than taking care of an existing customer.
Hi @GBFNelson ,

We had a chance to read through your experience mentioned in this thread and we're terribly sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've had. I'd like to look into your situation a little further. Would you mind sending our RamCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN?

Courtney
Ram Cares

GBFNelson

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my truck back today with a new motor/generator and software upload. I asked the service dept to put some miles on it to make sure it was fixed. They said it checked out fine, and for 12 miles it was, but the issue reappeared before I even got home, and for the 2nd time the passenger side rambox popped open. There are clearly gremlins in my truck. It's being towed back tonight to the dealer. I am lemoning it. Should I get another RAM or just take the buyback? I'd really appreciate some feedback here. My case is 'slam dunk'. The car has about 340 miles. I've owned it 45 days (first payment due tomorrow), and it has been in the shop 38 of them but is still not fixed.

Last edited:

GBFNelson

Reaction score
I hoping I've finally got some good news here. My truck went in for a 3rd time. All 3 were for some combination of red battery light warning and either auto start/stop warning or engine check light. Also, passenger side RamBox opened twice while I was driving, but the first time I had used the RamBox so I assumed I didn't shut it fully. The 2nd time was a very big clue. It had not been used, but it popped open on the way home from the dealer after the 2nd repair (in addition to the warning lights). The final diagnosis is at least 1 loose ground wire around the seating area. (I couldn't tell from the service report whether it was 1 or 2.) This is a brand new truck, so it was just an assembly issue. But the great news is it appears to have solved the issue and frankly is a VERY minor issue in the big scheme of things. The dealer put about 110 miles on after the fix and code reset without any issues, and I drove home without incident. I think I'm finally an extremely proud owner of my RAM 1500 Limited!!!!!!!!!

cseaman

Reaction score
What did Ram do for you in exchange for a nightmare first month of ownership?

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I hoping I've finally got some good news here. My truck went in for a 3rd time. All 3 were for some combination of red battery light warning and either auto start/stop warning or engine check light. Also, passenger side RamBox opened twice while I was driving, but the first time I had used the RamBox so I assumed I didn't shut it fully. The 2nd time was a very big clue. It had not been used, but it popped open on the way home from the dealer after the 2nd repair (in addition to the warning lights). The final diagnosis is at least 1 loose ground wire around the seating area. (I couldn't tell from the service report whether it was 1 or 2.) This is a brand new truck, so it was just an assembly issue. But the great news is it appears to have solved the issue and frankly is a VERY minor issue in the big scheme of things. The dealer put about 110 miles on after the fix and code reset without any issues, and I drove home without incident. I think I'm finally an extremely proud owner of my RAM 1500 Limited!!!!!!!!!
I admire your look on things .

liaram

Reaction score
I have just experienced this with my 2020 RAM 1500 HEMI eTorque, 2500 miles. Dealership I purchased it from took it right in. Called to check on it's status. Service advisor informed me that the service tech was checking the CEL, couldn't duplicate, but when he went to drive it out of the service bay, it died. Currently diagnosing. Was the loose ground wire the permanent fix? If so, could you let me know the exact repair so I can let the service advisor know. Thanks in advance.

GBFNelson

Reaction score
I have just experienced this with my 2020 RAM 1500 HEMI eTorque, 2500 miles. Dealership I purchased it from took it right in. Called to check on it's status. Service advisor informed me that the service tech was checking the CEL, couldn't duplicate, but when he went to drive it out of the service bay, it died. Currently diagnosing. Was the loose ground wire the permanent fix? If so, could you let me know the exact repair so I can let the service advisor know. Thanks in advance.
I've put 1800 miles on since the repair with absolutely no issues. I'm pretty sure the ground wire was in the cabin, not the engine block or firewall. I think it's in the back seat area.

liaram

Reaction score
I've put 1800 miles on since the repair with absolutely no issues. I'm pretty sure the ground wire was in the cabin, not the engine block or firewall. I think it's in the back seat area.
Picked my truck up this evening. Everything seems to be fine. Tech advised it was a wiring plug near the drivers side firewall under the dash. Wasn't plugged in completely at the factory. Truck had 37 codes registered when I brought it in. Tech was able to duplicate all the codes by plugging in plug, running the truck, and then unplugging it, which caused the truck shut down and register all the same codes. Appreciate you getting back to me.

GBFNelson

Reaction score
Picked my truck up this evening. Everything seems to be fine. Tech advised it was a wiring plug near the drivers side firewall under the dash. Wasn't plugged in completely at the factory. Truck had 37 codes registered when I brought it in. Tech was able to duplicate all the codes by plugging in plug, running the truck, and then unplugging it, which caused the truck shut down and register all the same codes. Appreciate you getting back to me.
Awesome!!

gencon

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my truck back today with a new motor/generator and software upload. I asked the service dept to put some miles on it to make sure it was fixed. They said it checked out fine, and for 12 miles it was, but the issue reappeared before I even got home, and for the 2nd time the passenger side rambox popped open. There are clearly gremlins in my truck. It's being towed back tonight to the dealer. I am lemoning it. Should I get another RAM or just take the buyback? I'd really appreciate some feedback here. My case is 'slam dunk'. The car has about 340 miles. I've owned it 45 days (first payment due tomorrow), and it has been in the shop 38 of them but is still not fixed.
Dump the Ram!!!! I have a 2019 1500 Limited. It has had so may issues. Yesterday, the stop/start light came on, then the engine warning light. Halfway to dealer, I had the engine light start blinking. Had to shut it down as it would not drive. Had to tow it 1.5 miles. No idea on repairs as I am in a timy oregon town and the dealer is a tiny place. Maybe by Friday they can troubleshoot it.
Im going back to Ford or Chevy. Never had any of those spend more time in the shop than on the road. I would Lemon Law it, but Oregon caps awards at $50,000 and the truck cost more than that.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dump the Ram!!!! I have a 2019 1500 Limited. It has had so may issues. Yesterday, the stop/start light came on, then the engine warning light. Halfway to dealer, I had the engine light start blinking. Had to shut it down as it would not drive. Had to tow it 1.5 miles. No idea on repairs as I am in a timy oregon town and the dealer is a tiny place. Maybe by Friday they can troubleshoot it.
Im going back to Ford or Chevy. Never had any of those spend more time in the shop than on the road. I would Lemon Law it, but Oregon caps awards at $50,000 and the truck cost more than that.
Yep...Ford and GM will be much better 😂 Sorry to hear about your issues, but they are not the norm. There will always be lemons or truck that have issues. Read the Ford and GM forums and you'll quickly see they are no better than your RAM.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm thinking I had the same plug loose in mine a while back. After doing some work in the garage I went to start it and got nothing. No lights, no chime, nothing worked at all. I hadn't touched anything electrical on the truck and the only thing I had done was pull a wire through a grommet in the firewall, but didn't even get to hooking it up. I recall hearing some weird sounds under the dash when I was trying to reach up in there, but didn't think too much of it. Just by coincidence, as I was searching for what could possibly be the problem, I bumped the rather large connector that's up under the dash towards the left and heard the same sound. I grabbed it to see if it would do it again and it came totally undone. Plugged it back in and immediately everything came on and I have had no problem with it since. Seemed strange as I had never messed with that plug for anything, so it had to have been not properly secured right from the factory.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I had the same plug loose in mine a while back. After doing some work in the garage I went to start it and got nothing. No lights, no chime, nothing worked at all. I hadn't touched anything electrical on the truck and the only thing I had done was pull a wire through a grommet in the firewall, but didn't even get to hooking it up. I recall hearing some weird sounds under the dash when I was trying to reach up in there, but didn't think too much of it. Just by coincidence, as I was searching for what could possibly be the problem, I bumped the rather large connector that's up under the dash towards the left and heard the same sound. I grabbed it to see if it would do it again and it came totally undone. Plugged it back in and immediately everything came on and I have had no problem with it since. Seemed strange as I had never messed with that plug for anything, so it had to have been not properly secured right from the factory.
Can you take a pic of the connector in question? Thanks!

fireman-175

Reaction score
Yep...Ford and GM will be much better 😂 Sorry to hear about your issues, but they are not the norm. There will always be lemons or truck that have issues. Read the Ford and GM forums and you'll quickly see they are no better than your RAM.
Totally agree, I dumped my F150 (forever ford guy) last year and bought my first 1500. Much better truck in my opinion as F150 has vibration issues around 60.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Wow after 4 pages it turns out to be loose wiring for a couple owners. For 3 pages there I was thinking it had to do with the 48v system, and ai was wondering why a person would go back yo it.

Just good to hear their was a resolution. What a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread