5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited w Etorque (3k miles) - Power Shutdown while on the highway

BobK

Reaction score
I look at it as if its going to happy.... It will happy to me with my luck! :) And I rather go to my own dealer and not be towed only within 25 miles to the closest dealer while I am on the road. :)

GBFNelson

Reaction score
Update on 2nd repair: the dealer now thinks the generator needs to be replaced. It's unclear whether this was the initial root cause or not; only time will tell. But it obviously could make sense that the PP failed in the first instance because it wasn't being recharged and that the dealer thought the problem had been fixed. In the end if this is the problem, other than losing my truck for over a month, it will be a minor issue and I will have a brand new generator and PP. Fortunately I wasn't hundreds of miles from home yet.

carlskj

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the entire situation, hopefully its an easy fix. Not sure about the eTorque diagnosis, but please keep us updated.

If they cover up to 25, and the dealership is 30 miles away, seems to me that you should split the bill, and only pay for anything over 25. The rest should be covered by RAM. That is what I would argue for, if I were you, anyway.
For me it ran OK on short trips (to and from work ~ 15 miles each way). About 2 months ago I took a longer trip (approximately 150 miles each way). On my return I had a warning light turn on and my display mentioned something about a START/STOP system not working. It was an "A" with an arrow wrapped around it. That was the first warning sign again on my latest trip. It was followed by several others including a collision warning, lights on side mirrors came on and eventually everything shutdown including power steering, no interior lights, dashboard, etc. From what I gathered there is an issue with the alternator not charging the battery and the battery failing on long trips. They tried charging my battery and only got it to ~630 CCA. I was told it should be closer to 800 CCA based on the mileage. Sounds like the alternator was never recharging the battery. I was also told by the dealership that there are over 130 of these alternators on backorder and none or being manufactured for some reason. Either they cannot figure out the issue or they are having some sort of labor issue?
I've been assigned a case manager and will submit all my receipts. I'm supposed to hear more on the status of the alternator/generator on Monday.

carlskj

Reaction score
Not sure how etorque caused this. Etorque is a complimentary system and not primary. I would not think it would cause full loss of power.
Also this would be the first time i have ever heard of roadside assistance not covering the tow. I thought there was travel coverage as well, but could be wrong.
This just all sounds pretty terribly wrong and hope something got lost in translation.
Keep us up to date with the results.
It does not sound like it is the eTorque system, I was told it was the alternator not charging the battery. I had someone else call it a generator for some reason. I was told they have over 130 of them (alternator/generator) on backorder and it does not seem like they are manufacturing them or if they are it is very slow. I'm told that I was put on priority based on the situation and would get one ASAP. Should know more on Monday (1/4).

carlskj

Reaction score
The first event the battery charge warning light and check engine light came on and wouldn't turn off. This event it's the battery charge warning light and the service stop/start system warning light. In addition, on the trip to the dealer for this repair, a warning light came on twice that the blind spot warning system was temporarily unavailable. That light only stayed on a few seconds each time. Obviously the sensors weren't dirty since the problem was intermittent. The 48v battery was replaced just last week, so I'm guessing there is either a fault in the wiring, an electronic control system, or in the system that recharges the 48v battery. I'm not a mechanic; I'm just trying to use a bit of common sense. In our state, lemon laws require the manufacturer 3X to fix a problem or no more than 30 calendar days in a year. I wouldn't be surprised if I have another new truck before the end of January.
Your sequence of events sound right. Unfortunately I was 250 miles into a 400 mile trip. I was on the phone with the dealer who sold me the truck and walking them through all the warning signs (pretty much what you listed above). We located another dealer 30 miles up the highway and asked if they thought we could make it. There advice was "get off the highway as quickly as possible". At that point the truck essentially shutdown (no power steering, lights, interior lights, dashboard, etc.). The momentum of the truck fortunately got us into a travel plaza where we could call for help. Scary stuff.

carlskj

Reaction score
Update on 2nd repair: the dealer now thinks the generator needs to be replaced. It's unclear whether this was the initial root cause or not; only time will tell. But it obviously could make sense that the PP failed in the first instance because it wasn't being recharged and that the dealer thought the problem had been fixed. In the end if this is the problem, other than losing my truck for over a month, it will be a minor issue and I will have a brand new generator and PP. Fortunately I wasn't hundreds of miles from home yet.
I'm assuming your battery was shot too if the generator was not working properly? Did you get a new battery? Was there any other damage from losing electrical? Did the engine overheat? I'm preparing myself for when they tell me I'm back to "normal".

GBFNelson

Reaction score
I'm assuming your battery was shot too if the generator was not working properly? Did you get a new battery? Was there any other damage from losing electrical? Did the engine overheat? I'm preparing myself for when they tell me I'm back to "normal"
I'm sure you're aware of this, but the etorque 'system' includes the generator/motor and a 48V powerpack/battery. I have the 5.7L Hemi. There is also a standard 12V cranking battery for the initial cold engine start. I'm guessing this has to do with the 48V not having enough CCA. I'm not a technical person, but from what I understand the generator/motor takes power off of the 48V to provide extra torque at lower speeds, reducing the 'strain' on the engine and presumably helping on gas mileage. On the other hand the generator/motor provides electricity to recharge the 48V system on engine decel and breaking. So if either the generator/motor or battery is faulty, you will have all of the issues described for you or me. Mine was not as severe as yours because all of my trips were short, so the battery indictor came on before the battery was depleted. Hence all the electronic systems (and maybe even spark for the engine) were still ok for me. I have been told the generator is on backorder also. I had to wait the better part of 2 weeks for the initial PP replacement. I don't know if I had a bad PP on it's own right or if it got depleted too far to hold a charge. My suspicion is that the whole problem was the generator to begin with, especially since I've replicated the initial problem with a new PP with only about 180 miles. In any case, the generator/motor is made by a company called Magneti Marelli, headquartered in Italy as the name would suggest. I don't know where they manufacture the components, but I'm guessing Italy. This probably means a lot of supply chain disruption due to COVID, as Italy has been in various states of lockdown during 2020. Don't know what your state's lemon laws are, but make sure you document all of your issues, and you may want to send a certified letter to state your rights. I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as any legal advice. I also don't plan on lawyering up but I have no intention of making my first truck payment with my truck still in the shop. By then they need to have fixed or replaced my vehicle. I think mine is an 'open and shut' case because my truck has not been safe to drive 18 of the first 26 days I've owned it, and they cannot even give me an estimated time of delivery of the generator. Finally, for what it's worth our local dealer is a very good one. I truly believe they are on the case, but they also know I'm watching and doing what I need to do. Make sure you have called FCA and have a case number. I'm told it helps significantly.

carlskj

Reaction score
I'm sure you're aware of this, but the etorque 'system' includes the generator/motor and a 48V powerpack/battery. I have the 5.7L Hemi. There is also a standard 12V cranking battery for the initial cold engine start. I'm guessing this has to do with the 48V not having enough CCA. I'm not a technical person, but from what I understand the generator/motor takes power off of the 48V to provide extra torque at lower speeds, reducing the 'strain' on the engine and presumably helping on gas mileage. On the other hand the generator/motor provides electricity to recharge the 48V system on engine decel and breaking. So if either the generator/motor or battery is faulty, you will have all of the issues described for you or me. Mine was not as severe as yours because all of my trips were short, so the battery indictor came on before the battery was depleted. Hence all the electronic systems (and maybe even spark for the engine) were still ok for me. I have been told the generator is on backorder also. I had to wait the better part of 2 weeks for the initial PP replacement. I don't know if I had a bad PP on it's own right or if it got depleted too far to hold a charge. My suspicion is that the whole problem was the generator to begin with, especially since I've replicated the initial problem with a new PP with only about 180 miles. In any case, the generator/motor is made by a company called Magneti Marelli, headquartered in Italy as the name would suggest. I don't know where they manufacture the components, but I'm guessing Italy. This probably means a lot of supply chain disruption due to COVID, as Italy has been in various states of lockdown during 2020. Don't know what your state's lemon laws are, but make sure you document all of your issues, and you may want to send a certified letter to state your rights. I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as any legal advice. I also don't plan on lawyering up but I have no intention of making my first truck payment with my truck still in the shop. By then they need to have fixed or replaced my vehicle. I think mine is an 'open and shut' case because my truck has not been safe to drive 18 of the first 26 days I've owned it, and they cannot even give me an estimated time of delivery of the generator. Finally, for what it's worth our local dealer is a very good one. I truly believe they are on the case, but they also know I'm watching and doing what I need to do. Make sure you have called FCA and have a case number. I'm told it helps significantly.
Thanks again for the detailed response. I will research lemon laws for NH and hope they can resolve soon. I was told they would have a status/timeline on the replacement today however just received a call that it will be next Monday now. I'm not optimistic for good news.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Didn’t someone have this issue and it was a ground issue?

carlskj

Reaction score
Didn’t someone have this issue and it was a ground issue?
RAM believes this to be a bad generator which is tied to the ETorque system. Someone mentioned a ground issue early on but that is not the culprit here.

GBFNelson

Reaction score
Thanks again for the detailed response. I will research lemon laws for NH and hope they can resolve soon. I was told they would have a status/timeline on the replacement today however just received a call that it will be next Monday now. I'm not optimistic for good news.
Good luck to you. I am still waiting for an ETA on my replacement part. Unofficially I'm told sometime in the 2nd half of January, but that's not a promise. It's a best estimate. Hope I don't have to pursue lemon laws but I did speak with an attorney and this is an open and shut case as of early next week. The car will be 30 days in the shop out of 37 I've owned it.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck to you. I am still waiting for an ETA on my replacement part. Unofficially I'm told sometime in the 2nd half of January, but that's not a promise. It's a best estimate. Hope I don't have to pursue lemon laws but I did speak with an attorney and this is an open and shut case as of early next week. The car will be 30 days in the shop out of 37 I've owned it.
Yep, that's the perfect Lemon-law case you can have. Just lemon it as soon as you get it back. Or drive it for a year and then lemon it and get a free ride for a year ;)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This almost sounds like the software update that didn't take that was on the one module that tells the eTorque "alternator" to turn on and charge the battery. I had three dead batteries and three tows to the dealer until they figured it out that it was the software and then also gave me a new 12V battery under warranty. It wasn't the eTorque system or 48V battery and I haven't had any issue since (Almost a year ago)

P.S. I do think there is still a software update needed for the Air Suspension to not keep leveling the truck while turned off if it is in any other suspension setting than normal.

GBFNelson

Reaction score
Yep, that's the perfect Lemon-law case you can have. Just lemon it as soon as you get it back. Or drive it for a year and then lemon it and get a free ride for a year ;)
I'm really trying to decide whether to lemon it or not. I could do it before I even get it back because the first step is to demand they repair it, buy it back, or replace it. My current thinking is to wait another week and see if they get it fixed or have a good promise date to give it back. If not, I'll probably lemon it to put pressure on and get the ball rolling. If I do get it back, if something else happens I'll lemon it the next day. FCA did say they'll reimburse my first payment, which sort of helps, but I put about 80% down on the truck.

GBFNelson

Reaction score
This almost sounds like the software update that didn't take that was on the one module that tells the eTorque "alternator" to turn on and charge the battery. I had three dead batteries and three tows to the dealer until they figured it out that it was the software and then also gave me a new 12V battery under warranty. It wasn't the eTorque system or 48V battery and I haven't had any issue since (Almost a year ago)

P.S. I do think there is still a software update needed for the Air Suspension to not keep leveling the truck while turned off if it is in any other suspension setting than normal.
Thanks for the note. I'll make sure I ask about that.

carlskj

Reaction score
In pursuing lemon law settlement (my case is in MA) they recommend sending a notification letter to the RAM or dealers "Regional Office". I've looked around for this address without success. Does anyone out there have experience dealing with lemon law claims and how to go about it? I live in NH, purchased the truck in MA and it broke down in NY :). The truck is currently at the dealership in NY. I agree with the post above that some vehicles just have gremlins and it may be best getting a new one. Also not certain if there was any collateral damage from the truck shutting down on us.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Possibly:

Boston Zone Office
Customer Relations Manager
Chrysler Corporation
550 Forbes Boulevard
Mansfield, MA 02048-2038
(508) 261-2190

carlskj

Reaction score
Possibly:

Boston Zone Office
Customer Relations Manager
Chrysler Corporation
550 Forbes Boulevard
Mansfield, MA 02048-2038
(508) 261-2190
Thanks for the info, that looks like the address I needed and will use it.

Users who are viewing this thread