5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM Laramie 4WD Audio System Build w/ 12" Display and JL Audio Stealthbox

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On a positive note, your grills should be easy to get off now. :)
Well... not exactly. I actually heated up the side tab, bent it in a little, and JB welded it so it would be tighter, as there was beginning to be too much play in it... lol. So they are a little more aggravating to remove, but if I push in on the A pillar panel, it does make them a little easier to remove.
That’s funny as I was test driving a 2020 ES350 Fsport yesterday.
Very nice car, even though I'm not a car guy... just too small for me, not that I'm a big guy by any means, but too low and too cramped for me. The 2020 is quite a bit more improved than the 2013, which I was less than impressed with after we got it. The 2020 is no doubt quieter, smoother and bit more refined, a mini LS so to speak. But make no mistake, they can't compete with the ride comfort of a RAM.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh I so agree but I didn’t want to not include vehicles as I look for a daily while I look for my Audi.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooooo... took all the goodies out of my RAM, other than the sub and amp. Installed the factory door speakers back and was able to get 3 of the 4" FaitalPRO speakers in the dash. It ain't pretty underneath the grill, but only I see that part. The corners took a good bit of Dremel work, and the center much less. Fits snug and the grill goes back on fine.

1598276191906.png 1598276211487.png

I can't say they sound any better than the 3" version because it's been too long since I had those installed, but they sound good. After coming from the miniDSP and Dirac Live, it's almost hard to accept anything else. I had my sub crossed over too high, so it was cancelling out the doors... couldn't get any bass from 40-80Hz until I lowered the crossover on down to about 50Hz, and now the doors are producing with the sub filling in on the area below 50Hz. Sure do miss Dirac Live, but the ANC is back keeping the truck quieter as it should, and I suppose I can live with this for now. I make no promises what I might be doing a month or two from now.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Yep... PAC AmpPRO, amp, subs and wiring. The JL Stealthbox is awesome... and it has a location on top for an amp.

Your ANC will still function as normal.
Sonnie, just to Be clear: if I get the JL Stealthbox and the JL Audio VX1000/1i Amp along with the wire and PAC AmpPro. I can hook it up and not have to bypass the ANC? And there will not be any issue with the ANC right? I have the 2020 Limited with the 12” HK system.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sonnie, just to Be clear: if I get the JL Stealthbox and the JL Audio VX1000/1i Amp along with the wire and PAC AmpPro. I can hook it up and not have to bypass the ANC? And there will not be any issue with the ANC right? I have the 2020 Limited with the 12” HK system.

hey mike.its me don.we talked about your "ceramic coat"posting (y)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did that setup.but i havethe "Alpine".it by pass everything.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
hey mike.its me don.we talked about your "ceramic coat"posting (y)
Lol, what’s up. I want to add the subs and amp but I don’t want to mess with the ANC or have any issues with it. You are in Dallas right?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did this and didn’t bypass any ANC on my Hk system

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, what’s up. I want to add the subs and amp but I don’t want to mess with the ANC or have any issues with it. You are in Dallas right?

no it was just a simple "Plug&play" (y) .didnt have to bother with all that "Bypassing"that "ANC",stuff.as a matter of fact ileft the amp wiring and all that stuff still in tact.didnt "Cut,tap or splice into anything.all "chimes"still work fine.all i did was ran wire from the speaker to the amp.as for the "tweeters in the dash and back ceiling?still intact.they work fine off the"Stock"amp.maybe you might not want to run speaker wire from the speakers to the amp.its just what i did.im "Old school".and thats how we use to do it back in the day.and doing that solve all my problems. how does it sound.....:love::love:!! hey im even using the "Stock Sub"along with a "AfterMarket"sub.all work well together "NoRegrets"....But all this is just "IMHO"!!!

Kob0583

Reaction score
Ordered up a higher capacity battery as an added precaution, and to help with the parking mode on the dash cam that I ordered as well (it will give it more recording time). I've had several of these type batteries over the years, Kinetic (who only make caps now), XS Power and Optima. This time I went with Northstar, as it seems to have the biggest bang for the buck and the best warranty at 4 years.

• Pure lead AGM technology delivers exceptional CCA ratings and reserve capacity cycling ability
  • Quick starting every time
  • Cycles over 900 times at 50% depth of discharge
  • Faster recharge than conventional batteries
  • Proudly made in the USA at our state-of-the-art battery plant
  • OEM fit is ensured - built to exact BCI standards
  • Housed in advanced plastics for durability performance and heat resistance
  • Advanced AGM construction means no water levels to check or terminals to clean

I was going to say odyssey makes great batteries also then I realized they make the Northstar too, will do the same when the time comes but want to do duel set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no... you will bypass the subwoofer effect of the ANC, which was not noticeable to me. I did not think initially it was doing anything. I unplugged it and did not notice any noise like I did with my previous RAM with the Alpine system. I unplugged that sub and noticed a significant increase in exhaust noise, but not so with my eTorque. My suggestion would be to unplug it and make sure you don't notice any adverse effects. I know it works in the ANC, because when I first used the sub speaker leads to feed the line converter, I noticed a droning noise in the sub when I would let off the gas pedal, which told me there is something the ANC is trying to eliminate. My wife nor I could ever figure it out, so I knew if I went with the PAC, it would resolve the issue. My other ANC speakers, front door and rear door are doing what they should. So... not knowing if your truck will react the same as mine, it's hard to say for sure, hence my suggestion to unplug the sub first to make sure it's not noticeable like it's not in my truck. My wife as cat ears, she can hear stuff I can't... unbelievable how good she hears.

I let my wife listen to the noise last night by using the ANC bypass adapter, and we both could hear the exhaust noise, more specifically when giving it a little gas going up a hill. It's not bad, but it's noticeable... and the ANC gets rid of it using the front and rear door speakers when I remove the bypass adapter. I had installed a full aftermarket system in this truck (info in this thread), then she finally decided she needed a new car (over 100K miles on her old car), so I took my aftermarket system, less the JL sub and amp, and I am currently installing it in her car with the JL sub and amp that came out of her old car.. I wanted her to hear what the ANC is doing to help me determine if it's worth sacrificing the ANC to install a full aftermarket system again after I finish up her car. I'm still on the fence, as I really like how quiet the truck is with the ANC.

I've came up with another idea I think will work to allow me to have the aftermarket system and retain the ANC. I have already learned that I can take the bypass adapter and move the pins from the radio feed positions to the mic feed positions. This will then block the radio from feeding the amp and instead allow the mics to feed the amp, basically reversing the adapters original design. The problem is I need to replace the door speakers, so that eliminates the ANC in the front, and you need all four speakers, front door and rear door for it to work properly. So.... I am going to find a fiberglass guy and have him mold a speaker housing in the lower portion of the door where the dual cup holder is on the left side and where it would go on the right. There is enough room there to get a 6" speaker at an angle firing up, and make it look almost factory. I will use this speaker as the factory door speaker, which will continue to process the ANC along with the rear doors, which I don't use in the aftermarket system (I use the rear headliner speakers for rear fill). So the "new" front door speakers and rear door speakers will continue to process the ANC, but will not get any signal from the radio with the reverse pinned adapter. Bingo! The best of both worlds. Now I just need to find that fiberglass guy who may have to borrow my door panels for a couple of days.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Yes and no... you will bypass the subwoofer effect of the ANC, which was not noticeable to me. I did not think initially it was doing anything. I unplugged it and did not notice any noise like I did with my previous RAM with the Alpine system. I unplugged that sub and noticed a significant increase in exhaust noise, but not so with my eTorque. My suggestion would be to unplug it and make sure you don't notice any adverse effects. I know it works in the ANC, because when I first used the sub speaker leads to feed the line converter, I noticed a droning noise in the sub when I would let off the gas pedal, which told me there is something the ANC is trying to eliminate. My wife nor I could ever figure it out, so I knew if I went with the PAC, it would resolve the issue. My other ANC speakers, front door and rear door are doing what they should. So... not knowing if your truck will react the same as mine, it's hard to say for sure, hence my suggestion to unplug the sub first to make sure it's not noticeable like it's not in my truck. My wife as cat ears, she can hear stuff I can't... unbelievable how good she hears.

I let my wife listen to the noise last night by using the ANC bypass adapter, and we both could hear the exhaust noise, more specifically when giving it a little gas going up a hill. It's not bad, but it's noticeable... and the ANC gets rid of it using the front and rear door speakers when I remove the bypass adapter. I had installed a full aftermarket system in this truck (info in this thread), then she finally decided she needed a new car (over 100K miles on her old car), so I took my aftermarket system, less the JL sub and amp, and I am currently installing it in her car with the JL sub and amp that came out of her old car.. I wanted her to hear what the ANC is doing to help me determine if it's worth sacrificing the ANC to install a full aftermarket system again after I finish up her car. I'm still on the fence, as I really like how quiet the truck is with the ANC.

I've came up with another idea I think will work to allow me to have the aftermarket system and retain the ANC. I have already learned that I can take the bypass adapter and move the pins from the radio feed positions to the mic feed positions. This will then block the radio from feeding the amp and instead allow the mics to feed the amp, basically reversing the adapters original design. The problem is I need to replace the door speakers, so that eliminates the ANC in the front, and you need all four speakers, front door and rear door for it to work properly. So.... I am going to find a fiberglass guy and have him mold a speaker housing in the lower portion of the door where the dual cup holder is on the left side and where it would go on the right. There is enough room there to get a 6" speaker at an angle firing up, and make it look almost factory. I will use this speaker as the factory door speaker, which will continue to process the ANC along with the rear doors, which I don't use in the aftermarket system (I use the rear headliner speakers for rear fill). So the "new" front door speakers and rear door speakers will continue to process the ANC, but will not get any signal from the radio with the reverse pinned adapter. Bingo! The best of both worlds. Now I just need to find that fiberglass guy who may have to borrow my door panels for a couple of days.
Thanks Sonnie for the detail information. It is really helpful. I am coming from a 2016 Tundra and I changed out the entire system including head unit and I had a Tesla style radio in it and loved it. But the truck was loud in comparison to the Ram. My wife and I really like how quiet it is when we are driving on the interstate. I think that I will wait until you complete your wife’s car and decide on your Ram before I do anything. I might install some sound deadening to quiet some of the rattling when I have the HK system turned up. The HK isn’t that bad, I just wanted more deep bass:)). Thanks again, your write ups are very informative and helpful.

Last edited:

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
I was just about to place the order for the Stealthbox, JL Audio Amp, wire, and PAC AmpPro. But the Crutchfield guy said that I needed the PAC APH-CH01 harness and that I would need to disable the ANC for my truck.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was just about to place the order for the Stealthbox, JL Audio Amp, wire, and PAC AmpPro. But the Crutchfield guy said that I needed the PAC APH-CH01 harness and that I would need to disable the ANC for my truck.

Nope... you won't need it. You are not amplifying any of your speaker leads that incorporate the ANC, so it's a non-issue. I have the same exact setup and my ANC works just fine.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Nope... you won't need it. You are not amplifying any of your speaker leads that incorporate the ANC, so it's a non-issue. I have the same exact setup and my ANC works just fine.

Thanks Sonnie. I will place my order now.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI... I also have the bass control knob for that amp. Not sure I could live without it being that music sources and songs are all over the place with bass.

I have the subs crossed over really low at 45Hz. When I tried to use the 80Hz xover, the lower end of the mid-bass between 50-80Hz disappeared ... cancelling each other out. I thought about using an 80Hz filter on the doors and let the sub do the duties, but the doors handle it pretty well... AND that ANC noise is in that range, so I am pretty sure blocking frequencies below 80Hz would negate the ANC in that range.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
FYI... I also have the bass control knob for that amp. Not sure I could live without it being that music sources and songs are all over the place with bass.

I have the subs crossed over really low at 45Hz. When I tried to use the 80Hz xover, the lower end of the mid-bass between 50-80Hz disappeared ... cancelling each other out. I thought about using an 80Hz filter on the doors and let the sub do the duties, but the doors handle it pretty well... AND that ANC noise is in that range, so I am pretty sure blocking frequencies below 80Hz would negate the ANC in that range.

Thanks. My wife and I were debating on going with a different box, sub, and amp. Altogether it’s around $2300. My wife was complaining about how much it was compared to my Tundra. I told her we went cheap and got what we got. But, I want good quality items to match this truck, so she relented. I will be sleeping on the couch tonight, but it’s worth it, when I am riding and bumping in style:))

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's funny for sure. My wife and I have been married now for 36 years, so we pretty much get what we want and don't worry about it, as long as we have the funds.

I really like this Stealthbox because it doesn't interfere with the floor mats and has a location for the amp... and it pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread