5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

familyman

Reaction score
Arrived today. Just a measly 8.5 weeks.... hope it works... if so, 100% worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Arrived today. Just a measly 8.5 weeks.... hope it works... if so, 100% worth it

Here’s a cool tidbit. The latest firmware update fixed remote start connectivity.

I can now remote start and once I am in the truck, CarPlay automatically connects after getting inside the cab.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
No reason it will not work just like the rest of us.
Agree. Just had a chance to test this longer than my usual 5-10 min usage, and it stayed connected for several hours on my trip from Texas to Florida last Saturday.
Only weird issue was entering the Mobile tunnel, it got disconnected, but then reconnected after I drove out the bay side.

On a side note, I don’t see a whole lot of 5th gens in my neck of the woods (Houston). Number is in increasing slowly but most trucks here are Fords, and more and more new Chevys.

Driving through Louisiana, a lot of Chevys and some Fords, but mostly Chevys.

Here in the Florida Panhandle, whole cow. A boatload of 5th gens. Lots of them everwhere, and most I’ve seen were with sweet looking lifts and large wheels. This has got to be 5th gen RAM heaven...

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the shroud on the USB keeps sliding off on mine when I try and pull it out of the port. Not a huge deal as I can probably just hot glue it back in place but slightly annoying for something that hasn't had much use. @Neurobit how recent is that software update? I checked about a week ago and said mine was up to date, still have issues with remote start connections.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So the shroud on the USB keeps sliding off on mine when I try and pull it out of the port. Not a huge deal as I can probably just hot glue it back in place but slightly annoying for something that hasn't had much use. @Neurobit how recent is that software update? I checked about a week ago and said mine was up to date, still have issues with remote start connections.
June 20 is when I installed it:

1593545454067.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the shroud issue?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a cool tidbit. The latest firmware update fixed remote start connectivity.

I can now remote start and once I am in the truck, CarPlay automatically connects after getting inside the cab.

That’s weird. It’s says I have the lastest firmware but when I start my truck with the Uconnect app it doesn’t not connect the phone I have to unplug the unit and plug it in again to get it to work. Must be the Uconnect way is different from the fob remote start

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone used this along with the Uconnect apps remote start? Doesn’t seem to find my phone when I get into the truck when I remote start using the app. Curious if it happens to others as well.

familyman

Reaction score
works great except for navigating the podcast app seems to freeze the screen. Anybody use it with a different podcast app that works with CarPlay? Mine also said it was uptodate when I did the check, will give the remote start a whirl.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That’s weird. It’s says I have the lastest firmware but when I start my truck with the Uconnect app it doesn’t not connect the phone I have to unplug the unit and plug it in again to get it to work. Must be the Uconnect way is different from the fob remote start

FYI - My post re. remote start was using the FOB, not the app.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried on 2 occasions with fob remote start today and dongle would not load CarPlay Had to re-plug the dongle for it to work. First world problem I guess. Software shows latest update.

familyman

Reaction score
I’m two days in and thinking of giving up on it. Sucker freezes or drops connection every 5-15 minutes. Could be on the phone, listening to music, podcast, or just sitting there. Latest flash per the website. Tried both USBs in front. Kind of bummed, wish it was more consistent. IPhone X, updated.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m two days in and thinking of giving up on it. Sucker freezes or drops connection every 5-15 minutes. Could be on the phone, listening to music, podcast, or just sitting there. Latest flash per the website. Tried both USBs in front. Kind of bummed, wish it was more consistent. IPhone X, updated.

Mine went through a couple of days of acting stupid when I first got it then it figured things out and has been fairly perfect. I noticed sometimes if I use my phone to connect to a Bluetooth speaker in my office, and then take the phone to the truck the dongle sometimes acts stupid and needs to be unplugged once or twice in order to work right.

Users who are viewing this thread