5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Preliminary report, iOS 14 (beta) works fine with this wireless adapter.
Although on the first try, there was no audio.

Later that afternoon, I removed the connection and reconnected it and it worked fine. I have not tested it more than a few moments, but it doesn't seem to be any issues.
Yep, no issues either. Really digging iOS / iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur. Amazing updates.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea so it seems that having waze on screen and trying to stream music is the only time it causes the music to skip. If I switch to Google Maps it stops. Thats kinda annoying because I hate listening to XM or local radio and Waze works better than Google or Apple maps.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea so it seems that having waze on screen and trying to stream music is the only time it causes the music to skip. If I switch to Google Maps it stops. Thats kinda annoying because I hate listening to XM or local radio and Waze works better than Google or Apple maps.
Third world problems...maybe an update will fix that in the future.

stevestrike

Reaction score
...Waze works better than Google or Apple maps.
This is pretty subjective, I prefer Google usually and Apple maps has improved dramatically.

I'll do a test with Google Maps & Waze while streaming audio to see if I notice any difference. One thing to note is that I do not use the audio guidance for any of them, which could also be a factor in stuttering.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is pretty subjective, I prefer Google usually and Apple maps has improved dramatically.

I'll do a test with Google Maps & Waze while streaming audio to see if I notice any difference. One thing to note is that I do not use the audio guidance for any of them, which could also be a factor in stuttering.
Agreed. Since Google owns Waze and Waze uses Google Maps as its engine, I'm not sure I see an advantage there.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Waze gives you a lot more real time information than google maps does such as accidents, police, potholes etc.
If you're listening to Waze spit out all that nonsense then you aren't really able to enjoy streaming music anyway! ;)

I tested today for 5 minutes each Google & Waze with audio navigation enabled while simultaneously streaming Pandora from my phone. No stuttering or audio hiccups at all. I will say that the transition from playing music to navigation guidance is not very smooth, but the audio was not skipping. It seems like for music, the volume turns down a bit and moves to the right speaker, the navigation directions are played on the left side, then the music moves back to center. This little audio shuffle got annoying fast and reminded me why I always turn guided navigation off for the maps.

I also ran the test while playing a podcast. The behavior seems a little different. For podcasts, it pauses the audio completely, then plays navigation guidance, then unpauses the audio. I guess this makes sense if you consider that you don't want to miss what someone is saying. But just like music, this pause-play-pause process was pretty intolerable after just a few minutes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Waze gives you a lot more real time information than google maps does such as accidents, police, potholes etc.
Yes, I know what Waze is. Don't think for a second that Google isn't "aware" of all of that information. It just doesn't jam it in your face like Waze does :)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For those that are interested in the next Group Buy, and have PM'd me, I just sent out PM's with the details on how to order and get your discount. If you are interested and have yet to PM me, please do so before this second phase group buy expires. Thanks!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
For those that are interested in the next Group Buy, and have PM'd me, I just sent out PM's with the details on how to order and get your discount. If you are interested and have yet to PM me, please do so before this second phase group buy expires. Thanks!
“Act now, and we’ll double your order, just pay separate shipping and handling”... :p :p :p

MascotteBear

Reaction score
I bought mine 04/26. Still not here. Been sitting at a “shipping partner facility” since 06/15. Took 2 weeks to get there after clearing customs.
I have gotten emails from them blaming a robbed FedEx truck??????, COVID, riots, the fact the sun is shining.....

Last email,they said 3 more weeks. But their tracking shows at the mysterious shipping partner facility in California.
Also, oddly enough the tracking always seems to update only when I email asking for an update.

So, I did a dispute with AmEx.
Maybe a bit of pressure will help them get their shipping act together.

At least you got proactive messages from them. I had to email them to get a response and they said COVID has basically just halted shipping for them even though it’s already passed through customs and such. I ordered mine May 11th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lungs414

Reaction score
I notice on my xsMax when using the wireless charger my phone gets extremely hot, when in the holder for a long drive. Does this happen with the dongle also? Not sure if its my case that causes the heat buildup. I know when it happens because waze starts going crazy on its own. Thinking of getting a new case to try it out what do you guys use?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I notice on my xsMax when using the wireless charger my phone gets extremely hot, when in the holder for a long drive. Does this happen with the dongle also? Not sure if its my case that causes the heat buildup. I know when it happens because waze starts going crazy on its own. Thinking of getting a new case to try it out what do you guys use?
Wireless charger will cause a phone to get "hot". The dongle does not get hot or even warm for that matter.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Wireless charger will cause a phone to get "hot". The dongle does not get hot or even warm for that matter.
Thanks but I think my case contributes to the heat retention. Any case recommendations?

familyman

Reaction score
They must use the most whacked shipping method. Tracking shows it bouncing between Dallas facilities for the past three days... I live in DFW area. So odd....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread