5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is interesting. Wondering if this would work with our trucks, or if anyone has tried it.
If it does work, it would be a pretty useful mod, specially on trucks with wireless charging pad.

Cheers,

7amada

Reaction score
This would be nice

just sent a msg to see if it will work on 5th gen trucks

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Much more info here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/

The short of it is that compatbility varies by vehicle, regardless of what the seller states. A month ago, the unit was crap and needed all sorts of kinks worked out (static in audio, delayed audio, long start up times, finnicky connections, etc). I saw someone with a Jeep say theirs was working great on the 8.4 after the latest updates (and updating this thing is another beast in itself). Then you've got a BMW owner in the thread saying wireless carplay is trash, and be thankful we have a wired option. And this thing comes from China, so if you have issues, you may or may not be f'd, so pay with a credit card.

7amada

Reaction score
Much more info here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/

The short of it is that compatbility varies by vehicle, regardless of what the seller states. A month ago, the unit was crap and needed all sorts of kinks worked out (static in audio, delayed audio, long start up times, finnicky connections, etc). I saw someone with a Jeep say theirs was working great on the 8.4 after the latest updates (and updating this thing is another beast in itself). Then you've got a BMW owner in the thread saying wireless carplay is trash, and be thankful we have a wired option. And this thing comes from China, so if you have issues, you may or may not be f'd, so pay with a credit card.
When you mention “updating”

are you referring to the uconnect or the CarPlay dongle device?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Right. This is why I've included that thread. There's about 40 pages of it with many different results. Looks like the MFG is releasing updates though, so that's a positive.
Just wish this was available on Amazon for an easy way to return if not compatible.

7amada

Reaction score
Right. This is why I've included that thread. There's about 40 pages of it with many different results. Looks like the MFG is releasing updates though, so that's a positive.
Just wish this was available on Amazon for an easy way to return if not compatible.
Agreeeeeeed

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have been chatting with the company and they claim they are in the process of completing the test of the adapter on the 2019 Ram.
Good to know! This will be a game changer if it works.
The only reason I plug it in right now is for CarPlay, at least for those of us that have wireless charging. I know... first world problems, but still nice to have.
I'm betting the 2021 Ford trucks will have this, as they have announced recently that SYNC4 will support it. Hopefully FCA follows suit for the next gen trucks.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Would love to know if this would work with my ****ty 5” screen. XM and Waze would be worth it’s weight in gold. Also, would factory backup cam still come on when using.

2019 PB

Reaction score
Following....

I’d buy one today if I knew it worked but not sure I want to add one more complication to an already finicky Uconnect system.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I used their "contact us" and just received this reply this morning. (Once they let me know its ready for prime~time I intend to grab one immediately. Then I don't have to be pissed off that FCA once again is hanging us out to dry. I'd bet a software update would get us wireless. Their new UI will do all sorts of other stuff for multiple drivers in the vehicle. Most won't even use that stuff.)
We are happy to let you know that we are now in the process of completing the test of our adapter with multimedia systems. This is to ensure that this will work in your car correctly.
No worries! I will let you know right away once we are done with the test.
Thank you,
Julie
CARPLAY2air.com

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
The 5th gen Uconnect will offer wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. I'm guessing 5U will roll out on 2021 model DTs.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Do you think we will get an update?
If we do, prob to address current bugs, not wireless CarPlay/AA, since you'd need new hardware to support it (if the current version supported this, I would think it would have been released already).

Users who are viewing this thread