5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

rsday75

Reaction score
It’s gotta be a fluke. I didn’t pay for expedited shipping and received mine within eight or nine business days. This was right after Covid had kicked off.

Ordered mine 04/26. Still sitting at some shipping partner in CA supposedly. I have issued a dispute with AmEx. No update from them since 06/15.

familyman

Reaction score
I never took my Apple Watch connection off during set up. Anybody else keep their watch on when they first paired it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlckDT

Reaction score
Here is my setup/placement. CarPlay dongle fits nicely into area between phone holder and console. It doesn't move or bounce around that the short cable fits nicely. I have QI wireless pad charger below that is currently plugged into the 110v. However, the plug to USB is an older iPhone one and doesn't produce enough to ensure my phone is charging while being used. I have on order a 3.0 USB plug and it should do the trick.

Ram_ConsoleCarPlay2Air.jpg

I never took my Apple Watch connection off during set up. Anybody else keep their watch on when they first paired it?
I only did to make sure any issues were avoided. Just a precaution, and probably did not need to do so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First issue encountered this morning: I enabled surround-view cameras in the drive-thru lane, and I couldn't exit the view. Not even when I cruised home at 75 mph. While it was cool to see the cameras in operation at that speed, it's obviously problematic for just about anything else.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
First issue encountered this morning: I enabled surround-view cameras in the drive-thru lane, and I couldn't exit the view. Not even when I cruised home at 75 mph. While it was cool to see the cameras in operation at that speed, it's obviously problematic for just about anything else.
Speedy. Must be coincidence.
This is the first I’ve heard of this, as I use surround view all the time when parking w/o issues.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Speedy. Must be coincidence.
This is the first I’ve heard of this, as I use surround view all the time when parking w/o issues.
Same here...this is a new one. @SpeedyV, maybe it was a glitch because you were changing the settings? Once changed, does it still happen?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same here...this is a new one. @SpeedyV, maybe it was a glitch because you were changing the settings? Once changed, does it still happen?
I wasn't changing settings. I simply pushed the surround-view camera button. I could not exit this until the truck was shut off. (I'm sure I could have pulled out my phone and disabled CarPlay, but that sort of defeats the purpose).

brdima

Reaction score
is there any delay when interacting with the phone in wireless mode vs wired connection?

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
is there any delay when interacting with the phone in wireless mode vs wired connection?
The only difference I've noticed is (very) slight voice clipping when Google Maps provides directions over a wireless connection. I'm sensitive to these things only because I've experimented with wireless CarPlay in other vehicles in the past. Aside from the bug I identified above, performance has been acceptable during my short test period thus far.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is the consensus this thing works good?
YMMV. While mine works most of the time. it still doesnt like streaming music and doing waze at the same time which was never a problem connected USB. I have just resorted to using my free XM sub for now and hope that a future software update corrects it. Thats really my only complaint other than the random times where it will not connect and despite unplugging it and plugging it back in I have to restart the truck for it to esablish connection.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
YMMV. While mine works most of the time. it still doesnt like streaming music and doing waze at the same time which was never a problem connected USB. I have just resorted to using my free XM sub for now and hope that a future software update corrects it. Thats really my only complaint other than the random times where it will not connect and despite unplugging it and plugging it back in I have to restart the truck for it to esablish connection.
Here‘s one thing I found. If you need to disconnect, leave it unplugged for 3-4 seconds, since I noticed light stays on for a couple of seconds after unplugging it. I’m no EE, but assume a capacitor is holding a charge for that long, so if you plug it back in immediately, it will stay disconnected.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@SpeedyV ...can you repeat it or did it only happen this one time?
@securityguy - Sadly, yes. I had it happen to me twice this morning.
  • The first time, I was backing out of the driveway to head to the gym, so it was frozen on the camera screen that you typically see when shifting to reverse (same as the surround-view screen). I had to unplug the dongle (just for a second) to reset the connection...easier than disabling and re-enabling CarPlay on my phone.
  • The second time, I had enabled the surround-view screen manually while running through a drive-thru after the gym, and I noticed shortly afterwards that I was still seeing the cameras while exiting the parking lot. This time, I just "wiggled" the USB connector a little bit to unplug it and snugged it back up (<1 second). The device restarted and worked fine the rest of the way home.
It's convenient to avoid plugging in. But to be honest, if this isn't fixable, I'll consider it a $120 gimmick. I'll provide this feedback to CarPlay2Air.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Is your truck software up to date? That was an issue with uConnect that Ram had to fix. I don't recall anyone else with this device having that same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread