5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m two days in and thinking of giving up on it. Sucker freezes or drops connection every 5-15 minutes. Could be in the phone, listening to music, podcast, or just sitting there. Latest flash per the website. Tried both USBs in front. Kind of bummed, wish it was more consistent.
Hmm...waiting 2+ months for it and reading a few reviews like this are putting a damper on my anticipation.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m two days in and thinking of giving up on it. Sucker freezes or drops connection every 5-15 minutes. Could be on the phone, listening to music, podcast, or just sitting there. Latest flash per the website. Tried both USBs in front. Kind of bummed, wish it was more consistent. IPhone X, updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How close do you have your phone to it? I definitely can’t keep my phone in my pocket and mine act completely fine. I hardly ever want to leave my phone in my pocket while I’m driving anyway so that’s fine

familyman

Reaction score
I’ll keep it up for a couple weeks... like many of you, I’ve waited long enough I might as well.

I’ve moved it around, most of the time in the wireless charger or the cupholder in front of the dongle. I would like to keep it in my scrubs front pocket, but perhaps that is too far as I feel it does have issues quicker the further away it is.

When the screen freezes there is often some funky pixilation somewhere.... might try resetting the phone.

Also Wish I didn’t have to delete the Bluetooth connection to the truck, but understand why.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ll keep it up for a couple weeks... like many of you, I’ve waited long enough I might as well.

I’ve moved it around, most of the time in the wireless charger or the cupholder in front of the dongle. I would like to keep it in my scrubs front pocket, but perhaps that is too far as I feel it does have issues quicker the further away it is.

When the screen freezes there is often some funky pixilation somewhere.... might try resetting the phone.

Also Wish I didn’t have to delete the Bluetooth connection to the truck, but understand why.
Strange. Mine works fine when in my pocket or backpack.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pocket and even in briefcase from back seat works.

Yeah mine was one of the ones that wouldn’t stay connected at all originally so I guess I’m still not in the clear. I just didn’t want to wait 8 weeks for a new replacement one to come snail mail.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Mine went through a couple of days of acting stupid when I first got it then it figured things out and has been fairly perfect. I noticed sometimes if I use my phone to connect to a Bluetooth speaker in my office, and then take the phone to the truck the dongle sometimes acts stupid and needs to be unplugged once or twice in order to work right.

After a couple of weeks and the uConnect update mine is working very well and I feel it was worth the money for certain. The convenience is worth the purchase.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a couple of weeks and the uConnect update mine is working very well and I feel it was worth the money for certain. The convenience is worth the purchase.

The way I look at it is that I don’t have to may for the Sirius XM subscription since I can use my amazon music account and play the stuff I actually want to hear without idiot DJs talking to me.....the dongle pays for itself after a few months.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have mine in my front right pocket all of the time. The dongle for the first 5+ seconds connects to your radio via Bluetooth. One it connects, it transfers the connection over to WiFi. It should NOT be a proximity issue. Some thoughts based on what I have read as 99+% of these that folks have one are working great:

1. Did you wipe out all of the bluetooth connections from your radio? f not, clean them out and delete them!
2. Did you remove the bluetooth connection in your phone to your truck? If not, delete the connection.
3. Having the phone in the wireless charger MAY be an issue based on the magnetic field used for charging purposes so STOP using the charger until you ca get a stable connection.
4. Unplug the dongle from the vehicle with the truck OFF
5. Plug the dongle back in and start the truck
6. See if the phone reconnects to the dongle...should take about 14 seconds

We all have the same truck so it's either going to work or it's not. If you continue to have issues, I will happily work with the manufacturer to get you a replacement....it will take about a week to get it. PM me if you want to discuss this in greater detail.

Happy 4th of July everyone and may GOD Bless us all during the remainder of 2020...based on all the crap going on around the country...we all need it!!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have mine in my front right pocket all of the time. The dongle for the first 5+ seconds connects to your radio via Bluetooth. One it connects, it transfers the connection over to WiFi. It should NOT be a proximity issue. Some thoughts based on what I have read as 99+% of these that folks have one are working great:

1. Did you wipe out all of the bluetooth connections from your radio? f not, clean them out and delete them!
2. Did you remove the bluetooth connection in your phone to your truck? If not, delete the connection.
3. Having the phone in the wireless charger MAY be an issue based on the magnetic field used for charging purposes so STOP using the charger until you ca get a stable connection.

We all have the same truck so it's either going to work or it's not. If you continue to have issues, I will happily work with the manufacturer to get you a replacement....it will take about a week to get it. PM me if you want to discuss this in greater detail.

Happy 4th of July everyone and may GOD Bless us all during the remainder of 2020...based on all the crap going on around the country...we all need it!!!
Great tips. FYI - wireless charging has no bearing on mine, although I have a 1-foot USB cable extension, so the dongle sits on the bottom of the console instead of right next to the charging pad.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine works perfectly sitting in the wireless charger. Definitely acts up the further I get away from the dongle. I’ve learned to live with it so far.
Great to know. I have yet to try mine with the Q-charger. My phone is always in my right pocket and my dongle is just plugged in with no USB extension cable. ZERO issues in my pocket.

familyman

Reaction score

Done all of the above except unplugging while the truck is off. I’m going to wipe everything from the phone and truck and give it a retry.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Finally, mine was delivered (ordered 04/29). Unfortunately it was delivered 2 hours after I had left for our family vacation across the state. Would've been nice to test it during the 3.5 hour drive + all the driving/directions/iTunes/phone calls being made. But, nevertheless it finally has arrived and I just set it up. Plugged in to USB #2 on console and slid along the side where it fits perfectly. I have a wireless charging pad at the base of the console tucked up into the cubby area and can easily set my phone when needed.

Once I connected the CarPlay dongle, I followed procedure to connect with my phone. Taking advice within this thread, I had already removed my bluetooth phone connection from Uconnect and disconnected my Apple watch. The pairing went smoothly and I then checked for a dongle update using the IP address it states to connect with. Already at latest firmware!

Finally, I ordered some carry out for the family and took it for a spin. Just kept my phone in the pocket the entire time and worked like a charm. Used Waze and Itunes along with using voice to send a message to the wife that I was on my way back. Everything worked and no failures or errors. The one thing I did find was when I tried adjusting the dongle it disconnected from the Ram (as if I unplugged it). Looks like I have a somewhat sensitive connection and I think it has to do with the dongle plug. However, its seated now and did not error or disconnect while driving and I think the spot is perfect.

Testing over the weekend as I have some driving around town to do.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Finally, mine was delivered (ordered 04/29). Unfortunately it was delivered 2 hours after I had left for our family vacation across the state. Would've been nice to test it during the 3.5 hour drive + all the driving/directions/iTunes/phone calls being made. But, nevertheless it finally has arrived and I just set it up. Plugged in to USB #2 on console and slid along the side where it fits perfectly. I have a wireless charging pad at the base of the console tucked up into the cubby area and can easily set my phone when needed.

Once I connected the CarPlay dongle, I followed procedure to connect with my phone. Taking advice within this thread, I had already removed my bluetooth phone connection from Uconnect and disconnected my Apple watch. The pairing went smoothly and I then checked for a dongle update using the IP address it states to connect with. Already at latest firmware!

Finally, I ordered some carry out for the family and took it for a spin. Just kept my phone in the pocket the entire time and worked like a charm. Used Waze and Itunes along with using voice to send a message to the wife that I was on my way back. Everything worked and no failures or errors. The one thing I did find was when I tried adjusting the dongle it disconnected from the Ram (as if I unplugged it). Looks like I have a somewhat sensitive connection and I think it has to do with the dongle plug. However, its seated now and did not error or disconnect while driving and I think the spot is perfect.

Testing over the weekend as I have some driving around town to do.
Ordered the same day...hoping mine arrives soon. Thanks for your review!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Crossing fingers that you’ll get it soon Speedy.
It’s mostly a running joke between me and my wife at this point. After customs (presumably on a coast), USPS shows it spent some time in Des Moines, and then it was sent to Florida. They were getting close in Iowa; maybe they’ll figure out that Texas is in the middle of the US pretty soon ;)

All: pay for express shipping unless you really, really like to build up the anticipation...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It’s mostly a running joke between me and my wife at this point. After customs (presumably on a coast), USPS shows it spent some time in Des Moines, and then it was sent to Florida. They were getting close in Iowa; maybe they’ll figure out that Texas is in the middle of the US pretty soon ;)

All: pay for express shipping unless you really, really like to build up the anticipation...
It’s gotta be a fluke. I didn’t pay for expedited shipping and received mine within eight or nine business days. This was right after Covid had kicked off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online