5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that opening almost any app on your phone will change the audio source? I typically listen to SiriusXM and am noticing that if I open the Amazon app, email, and others, it changes the input to USB and stops playing Sirius. The only time this happened when I used to use Carplay via the lightning cable was if I opened ESPN or another app that had autoplay videos.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Yes - any app (from Facebook to LinkedIn) that supports media will “take over” the source from SiriusXM.

cjh0702

Reaction score

cjh0702

Reaction score
I believe that all you have to do is jailbreak your phone, but I have no first hand knowledge.
Ah gotcha. The article made it seem that it was something that was available to do on a "stock" iPhone. No big deal. I like the dongle I have.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well my Car2Play dongle broke after applying the latest update yesterday. It's now deader than a doornail. Went ahead and ordered the CarlinKit 2.0 from Amz and will post back on how it works. Paid $101 for it. Today you can get one for $96.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well my Car2Play dongle broke after applying the latest update yesterday. It's now deader than a doornail. Went ahead and ordered the CarlinKit 2.0 from Amz and will post back on how it works. Paid $101 for it. Today you can get one for $96.
I'm going to apply the update after work today and see if it bricks it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Received the CarlinKit. Works flawlessly so far. It seems to be the exact same software as Car2Play.
Build quality is nicer on the CarlinKit. Nice big LED and nicer material. Also, the cable is removable, so if it’s too short, you can just get a longer USB-A to USB-C and done. I’ll post back with a long term update in a few days.

BTW, all menus are in English instead of Chinese like the last few versions of Car2Play. I did an update and bang, all Chinese. Fortunately, I used the “revert” feature and got it back to the out-of-the-box firmware, and it’s back to English. :oops:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here’s a pic. Love the blinking green LED. Let’s me know it’s connected and operating properly.

730480A2-A495-4631-9ADD-9F0627292DA0.jpeg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here’s a pic. Love the blinking green LED. Let’s me know it’s connected and operating properly.
Nice! Is the connector on the Carlink USB-C? If so, have you tried connecting to the USB-C on the console? Wonder if that would speed up the connection a bit since USB-C is far faster than A:unsure: Keep us posted on connectivity reliability.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nice! Is the connector on the Carlink USB-C? If so, have you tried connecting to the USB-C on the console? Wonder if that would speed up the connection a bit since USB-C is far faster than A:unsure: Keep us posted on connectivity reliability.
No. The USB-C connector is on the device end. The end that connects to the truck is the old USB-A. It’s not that bad. Takes about ~10 seconds. I will try a USB-C to USB-C cable and see how that goes since it’s removable.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. The USB-C connector is on the device end. The end that connects to the truck is the old USB-A. It’s not that bad. Takes about ~10 seconds. I will try a USB-C to USB-C cable and see how that goes since it’s removable.
Thanks! So the connector on the device IS a USB-C. You said no and then confirmed that it was :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks! So the connector on the device IS a USB-C. You said no and then confirmed that it was :)
Sorry for the confusion. It comes in the box with a USB-A (truck) to C (dongle), but I have extra cables that are C on both ends. That’s what I’m going to try.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. It comes in the box with a USB-A (truck) to C (dongle), but I have extra cables that are C on both ends. That’s what I’m going to try.
Can you post a link to the one you bought? May buy one for the hell of it to try it out to see how it compares to the one I have.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Used this on a >600 mile trip. Stayed connected the whole time. Zero issues. Connects quickly and I’ve had no issues with audio or real-time turn-by-turn directions.

Users who are viewing this thread