5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Kone

Reaction score
General reviews I've see on these devices are that the audio quality for music isn't that great. Anyone have an opinion as to if this?

cjh0702

Reaction score
General reviews I've see on these devices are that the audio quality for music isn't that great. Anyone have an opinion as to if this?
I'm a "self-proclaimed" audiophile. There is some degradation, but nothing too noticeable. Nothing that outweighs the benefits of going wireless (my personal opinion).

Kone

Reaction score
I'm a "self-proclaimed" audiophile. There is some degradation, but nothing too noticeable. Nothing that outweighs the benefits of going wireless (my personal opinion).
Thanks. I did order on and will soon hear for myself!

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Got the CarlinKit installed today, and works great.

Anyone try using a USB-C to USB-C cable yet?
I was thinking of ordering a 90* one to try to clean up how the connection looks.
GatorB8,

Please let us know if you find a USB-C to USB-C (rt angle to rt angle). I tried to clean up the connection as well.

I tried the USB to USB-C listed here and it DID NOT FIT into the slot on the Carlinkit dongle. The plastic molding is too thick around the actual connector.

It appears that the USB or USB-C connector works for the "truck side" of the connection.

Saints

Reaction score
I updated to the newest version and was having a problem where Siri would start saying my text message and then the audio would cut out before getting the whole message. I noticed there was a setting to roll back to the previous software version and ever since then it’s been a brick. Does anyone know how to get it working again?
Just an update, I don’t think I clarified that this was on a carplay2air unit. I ordered a carlinkit 2.0 and got it setup today and it seems to load faster than the carplay2air unit did. The load screen is also different. This one is red and the carplay2air was green with a little different graphic. I’ll update if I notice anything else different or any problems arrive.

Bluesurf

Reaction score

Kone

Reaction score
Got my Carlinkit 2.0 and connected it today. The only way I can get it to work at all is using a USB-C to USB-C cable I had. The small cable provided in the kit doesn't seem to work no matter how I connect it, C to A(truck) or A to C(truck). I suspect cable is bad or It's just not getting a solid connection cause it seems kinda iffy and lose Imho.

Attachments

• D7A8AD60-83FF-4CE5-A9FE-ED37B58654EF.jpeg
    D7A8AD60-83FF-4CE5-A9FE-ED37B58654EF.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 72

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Got my Carlinkit 2.0 and connected it today. The only way I can get it to work at all is using a USB-C to USB-C cable I had. The small cable provided in the kit doesn't seem to work no matter how I connect it, C to A(truck) or A to C(truck). I suspect cable is bad or It's just not getting a solid connection cause it seems kinda iffy and lose Imho.
As I mentioned above in another post, it would be great to have a short (8 in.) USB-C (rt angle) to USB-C (rt. angle) cable. The problem that I encountered was the narrow opening on the Carlinkit side.

Please let us know if anyone located a cable that works.

Kone

Reaction score
As I mentioned above in another post, it would be great to have a short (8 in.) USB-C (rt angle) to USB-C (rt. angle) cable. The problem that I encountered was the narrow opening on the Carlinkit side.

Please let us know if anyone located a cable that works.
I happened to have a white C to C cable that fits and works fine. I just ordered a 1' black cable from Amazon that I was told has very small housing around each jack that I'm expecting (hoping) will fit the opening also. Not right angle however.

Night Rebel

Reaction score

cnstoll

Reaction score
I ended up buying one of these and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I did test the plug/unplug scenario going from wireless to wired CarPlay and vic versa. What I noticed is that CarPlay does disconnect briefly when you plug in the power cable to the phone when it starts out as wireless, but then when you disconnect from power everything stays on. I was curious because I'm guessing on longer road trips I'll probably plug in to keep the phone topped off, while on shorter trips the wireless charger seems like the way to go.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up buying one of these and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I did test the plug/unplug scenario going from wireless to wired CarPlay and vic versa. What I noticed is that CarPlay does disconnect briefly when you plug in the power cable to the phone when it starts out as wireless, but then when you disconnect from power everything stays on. I was curious because I'm guessing on longer road trips I'll probably plug in to keep the phone topped off, while on shorter trips the wireless charger seems like the way to go.
You got the Carlinkit 2?

Kone

Reaction score
So far, it's working mostly so good. My Carlinkit2.0 did seem to get confused yesterday when I remote-started the truck and phone wasn't yet in the cab. When I got in it seemed confused, took me unplugging the dongle, turning truck off/on, and just waiting for it to un-confuse itself. Next time I'm just going to wait a bit longer and see if it clears on its own.

GATORB8

Reaction score
GatorB8,

Please let us know if you find a USB-C to USB-C (rt angle to rt angle). I tried to clean up the connection as well.

I tried the USB to USB-C listed here and it DID NOT FIT into the slot on the Carlinkit dongle. The plastic molding is too thick around the actual connector.

It appears that the USB or USB-C connector works for the "truck side" of the connection.
I bought a similar cable and used a razor to trim it. The C-C did not work in mine, would get power but would not connect.

I rotated the unit 90* in the charge tray and routed the included cable behind the edge. Turned out pretty decent.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
My Carlinkit 2.0 is working great. It connects in a very short amount of time and I have only found one issue.

When I receive a call, their is no "ring" to alert me. The screen changes to phone mode, so I can see there is a call coming in.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Do you have a solution??

-G

Reaction score
My Carlinkit 2.0 is working great. It connects in a very short amount of time and I have only found one issue.

When I receive a call, their is no "ring" to alert me. The screen changes to phone mode, so I can see there is a call coming in.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Do you have a solution??

-G
same problem, would love a fix

Kone

Reaction score
I bought a similar cable and used a razor to trim it. The C-C did not work in mine, would get power but would not connect.
Maybe your C-C cable isn't a data cable, just power. My C-C data cable is working fine, no issues that I have found.

steilkurve

Reaction score
Got it for my 2500 Limited. Works flawlessly albeit it did disconnect and reconnect out of nowhere a few times. But overall, quite convenient.

Now, I did have the Uconnect app remote features fail on me after plugging in the dongle. I didn’t notice it right away so unsure if it is related. I did have to unplug the battery to make the Uconnect remote features work again.

Anybody experienced that? Hesitating to plug it back in? Has anybody’s app features got disabled also after plugging Carlinkit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread