5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
Actually, every once and a while, I see my screen turn black and then rolling data appears that looks Chinese with intermingled numbers that look amazingly similar to my social security number and my main credit card number, but I just shrug it off knowing that it's most likely COVID related because my radio isn't wearing a mask..........
That's probably from those sketchy sites you frequent and less from the dongle, don't you think?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's probably from those sketchy sites you frequent and less from the dongle, don't you think?
In all seriousness, not a single one of us, that I am aware of, have had any issues with this dongle as it relates to pulling data off of our phones, but I can understand the paranoia around the topic. iPhones are made in China too ;)

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
In all seriousness, not a single one of us, that I am aware of, have had any issues with this dongle as it relates to pulling data off of our phones, but I can understand the paranoia around the topic. iPhones are made in China too ;)
I get it, but at least Apple has some level of control there. Unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do bc everything is made over there.
Btw my question didn't have anything to do with Covid. I work in an industry where China is a big problem and stealing info is a common occurrence. It's sad how they can manipulate our country

Thanks for the response

macallien

Reaction score
I have issues with this dongle. It continuously freezes and I have to unplug and replug into USB port. Also Amy time sound on calls is really bad.

Rathiem

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has these behaviors, if it’s normal, or if mine has an actual issue. Mine is updated, also.
When I remote start, then get in and hit the start button, wireless CarPlay will not connect. It will stay in the connection screen until I unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I leave the truck running, and exit the vehicle with the phone to run in the house/store/whatever, when I re-enter the truck, it will not reconnect automatically, and the screen will be frozen on the CarPlay home screen. Same thing- I have to unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I use Spotify, it will not automatically start and pick up on the last song where it left off before. I have to open Spotify on my phone and hit play for it to start playing where it left off before. This is not the behavior if I use the wired connection for Spotify on CarPlay.

As for how quick a BMW connects- I can’t answer that, but, I’ve had two aftermarket radios with wireless CarPlay (one being the first alpine unit to have it), and the connection was almost immediate. Neither of those exhibited the behaviors described above.

Mines behaves as yours does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mines behaves as yours does.

I did get it to the point where everything was fixed...except Spotify. I have to open the app on the phone itself and press play. It will not automatically play and pick up where it left off last time it was used. That right there renders it useless to me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did get it to the point where everything was fixed...except Spotify. I have to open the app on the phone itself and press play. It will not automatically play and pick up where it left off last time it was used. That right there renders it useless to me.
And this Spotify issue occurs when?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Normally on the uconnect system, when connecting the phone straight to the media hub, you launch CarPlay (or it launches automatically if it was the last source used), then you just press play on the Spotify app screen, and it will pick up where you left off last.
With the wireless dongle, every time you restart the truck, there is no option to press play on the Spotify app screen on the radio, as if i doesn’t remember it’s last state. I have to pull my phone out, open the app on the phone, and press the resume/play button on the phone app. This is every time. They are aware of the issue, and blame it on the app itself...but...wired connection to Uconnect= no issue, wireless dongle connection= issue.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Normally on the uconnect system, when connecting the phone straight to the media hub, you launch CarPlay (or it launches automatically if it was the last source used), then you just press play on the Spotify app screen, and it will pick up where you left off last.
With the wireless dongle, every time you restart the truck, there is no option to press play on the Spotify app screen on the radio, as if i doesn’t remember it’s last state. I have to pull my phone out, open the app on the phone, and press the resume/play button on the phone app. This is every time. They are aware of the issue, and blame it on the app itself...but...wired connection to Uconnect= no issue, wireless dongle connection= issue.
Remember that the dongle is like a third-party to your radio. EVERY TIME the phone connects to the dongle, it connects initially via BT and then secures a connection via Wi-Fi. Every connection to the dongle is registered as a new connection. This doesn't happen with the phone plugged into a USB port based on a different interface. If the dongle isn't suiting your needs, you may want to sell it in the classified section of this forum. I am sure there are a lot of people that would be willing to take this off your hands. It will not be for everyone based on what you are truly trying to accomplish. However, it is 100X better than not having it at all IMPO based on the apps you wish to connect to. Mine has been installed since I announced the Group Buy and, not once, I have I experienced a single issue. I also use XM as my music source.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Usage update (2 months). Addicted to the luxury of no cables! For the most part I have no issues with keeping connectivity or any issues with not connecting. However, I do find there to be a slight delay when on a call. Annoying but I got used to pause before I speak long enough to ensure I don’t over talk the person on the other end.

There was one issue with the device processing really slow the WAZE map. But I unplugged for 10 seconds (clear memory) and plugged back in. No issues since.

By the way! Thank you iOS 14 to now include Google Maps on the dashboard screen!! Now when will WAZE also be included?

3e60ab7d443cc5634b8d8018ea4122ab.jpg

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usage update (2 months). Addicted to the luxury of no cables! For the most part I have no issues with keeping connectivity or any issues with not connecting. However, I do find there to be a slight delay when on a call. Annoying but I got used to pause before I speak long enough to ensure I don’t over talk the person on the other end.

There was one issue with the device processing really slow the WAZE map. But I unplugged for 10 seconds (clear memory) and plugged back in. No issues since.

By the way! Thank you iOS 14 to now include Google Maps on the dashboard screen!! Now when will WAZE also be included?

Once iOS 14 is out of beta and all of the apps are updated you should be able to setup whichever map you want.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Waze has been included. Been using it for a while.

Cheers,

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
Yeah that's annoying for me as well. Really hoping they care enough to fix that in the next update

BlckDT

Reaction score
With the latest firmware update, we get some menu options for the dongle browser. One of them is media delay which I have not touched yet. Any ideas on what the different options detail?

NEW DONGLE SETTINGS MENU:
9f82d1892a12da95136113b05106abde.jpg

effca0eaa37e2ad117509e5658931837.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You will have to play with it and experiment. Worst case, you set it back to the default.
Ditto. Assuming the delay is in ms. Just play and see if it makes a difference.
In my case I don’t think I have noticed delays. I’ll have to play closer attention.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did my update and went for an hour drive...no issues. Haven't played with the settings since I am not experiencing any issues.

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
Anyone notice anything new on the update?
Also, the "start playing where left off" on spotify (podcast app, etc) happens occasionally for me. It seems to be time sensitive....if I get back in after couple hours it picks right back up

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online