5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

moonoil

Reaction score
I use the Carplay2air in my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. It works well. It takes about 60 seconds to set up the first time. After that it connects via bluetooth automatically when you power the truck on. Wired car play still works the same for other passengers. All in all a great set up. I use the Scosche MagicMount car charger on a ProClip Center dash mount. Just jump in, the phone attaches magnetically to the mount to charge and no wires to connect to car play. Pretty cool.

moabbikr

Reaction score
Seems to work well for me. I have had it only one day.
How long did it take to receive? I ordered mine on Monday night and received shipping info Tuesday but today when I checked the tracking number it makes it look like they haven't actually shipped yet.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Is there any solution for wireless Android auto out there yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RamGuy32

Reaction score
How long did it take to receive? I ordered mine on Monday night and received shipping info Tuesday but today when I checked the tracking number it makes it look like they haven't actually shipped yet.

It took me about 2 weeks to get it.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a way to hard reset this POS? I was updating it with the new firmware and it froze at 90 percent on 3 attempts I let it sit for 15-20 minutes at 90 percent each time and got nowhere.

Then I figure to remove it from my Bluetooth list on my phone and start from scratch and now I can’t find it when BT is turned on. Also noticed that tiny pin hole that I think lights up now no longer lights up. It was working just before I started the update. Confirmed that my USB ports work. This is definitely an issue with the dongle.

Is there a fix or is this another Chinese paperweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any feedback?

Yep Froze mine for 15-20 minutes at 90% complete and never finished. Now the unit can’t even be found by the phone and all I see is the little blue light when it’s plugged in. POS paperweight of Chinese quality.

Last edited:

RamGuy32

Reaction score
I'm always of the opinion that if it isn't broke, and an update isn't adding anything incredible that I want, I'm not updating. Sorry to hear you guys are having problems. I've not had really any issues. A couple times it's been slow to connect if I go into reverse too quickly (don't know what that has to do with it other than the camera). Hope you get it working!

moabbikr

Reaction score
The good news is that they at least replied to my email, unfortunately they admitted to not shipping yet due to a bunch of excuses. I should have taken my chance with an off brand on Amazon, at least I would have had some protections when and if it doesn't work.
Nothing worse than when a company tells you 5-7 days and its not even close, pandemic or not they have had time to update the website to reflect whatever issues they are having. Why is honesty so difficult?

Rant over, we will wait to see what transpires..

Tydog96

Reaction score
Does the steering wheel controls still work OK with this wireless Carplay2air? And, is it possible to plug it into the center console's (under the console hatch) USB, or does it need to be on the one of the front/rear visible USB ports? I don't remember if the center hidden one is possibly only for charging or not - never used it. Thanks.

moabbikr

Reaction score
Does the steering wheel controls still work OK with this wireless Carplay2air? And, is it possible to plug it into the center console's (under the console hatch) USB, or does it need to be on the one of the front/rear visible USB ports? I don't remember if the center hidden one is possibly only for charging or not - never used it. Thanks.
Any port that will give you wired CarPlay will give you wireless, the port under the hatch will not work. Cannot answer the control question just yet..

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any port that will give you wired CarPlay will give you wireless, the port under the hatch will not work. Cannot answer the control question just yet..
My steering wheel controls work with it just fine. A very slight delay

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they sent me an email with links to re flash the unit, except the thing doesn’t power up the flash drive when you plug it into the units USB port. I wonder if the upgrade bricked it.

Saints

Reaction score
I have the same question because a few people have said CPLAY2air is a rebranded Carlinkit. So why buy the rebranded one off their website for $129, when I can go on Amazon and buy the non-rebranded Carlinkit (and be able to return to Amazon if it doesn't work and have it arrive at my door in 2 days) for $125.... But if they are not really the same thing and CPLAY2air is the "good" one (Carlinkit reviews are mixed...) then I will gladly pay the extra $5 and wait a few weeks. So that is my thought process that I am stuck in.
Carplay2air is a rebranded carlinkit. There’s a huge thread on macrumors about it.

rourky80

Reaction score
For the Android users, a dongle/solution is coming.
I have backed this, as I have been watching the ongoing project by the "owner" over on xda forums (https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...droid-3-0-proxy-gateway-android-auto-t3813163). This looks to be the perfect solution for me, and they have it working on 2020 ram (with 12") and other uconnect 8.4. Pity its alleged release is Feb 2021. It was earlier for the original start of the campaign, but there was more response than expected, and they determined they couldn't get them all out in december like first originally planned. The campaign says the early backers will still get theirs in Dec, others like me that came in a little later will be feb (fingers crossed).

djwdjw

Reaction score

It came all the way from "Jina" :) and it made it in under 10 days. I had tracking numbers the whole way.

FL-Ram

Reaction score
Right. This is why I've included that thread. There's about 40 pages of it with many different results. Looks like the MFG is releasing updates though, so that's a positive.
Just wish this was available on Amazon for an easy way to return if not compatible.
I saw it on Amazon. It’s named different but same device - Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Dongle. Reviews however are mixed

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I saw it on Amazon. It’s named different but same device - Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Dongle. Reviews however are mixed
Yep, saw this a few days ago. I'd def go this route if I had to do it over.

Cheers,

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has become a damn brick after the last firmware update No response/nothing. Support has been worthless but what do you expect from Shanghai Sammy. Back to the archaic way of doing things. Taking 5 seconds to plug phone directly to truck and having it work flawlessly vs a POS box that worked half the time.

Future buyers beware.....

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I stopped using my Carplay2air unit 2 weeks ago. My Uconnect was very buggy. I was getting a blue screen, black screen, no drivers door camera (black) My Carplay2air started to freeze daily. One day I said to myself had enough this and unplugged the dongle. With all the unplugging and re-plugging I might as well use the wire again. Without the dongle ALL my Uconnect troubles disappeared. Not one issue since! I'll stick to the wire for my Carplay. I can't wait for our country to start manufacturing again. We need some Made In USA again!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I stopped using my Carplay2air unit 2 weeks ago. My Uconnect was very buggy. I was getting a blue screen, black screen, no drivers door camera (black) My Carplay2air started to freeze daily. One day I said to myself had enough this and unplugged the dongle. With all the unplugging and re-plugging I might as well use the wire again. Without the dongle ALL my Uconnect troubles disappeared. Not one issue since! I'll stick to the wire for my Carplay. I can't wait for our country to start manufacturing again. We need some Made In USA again!
Amen to that.

Users who are viewing this thread