5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay Dongle

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all...I just wonder why people post crap if they have no intention of following through??? If you are going to make such a statement, then one would infer that you are going to test it out...just pure logic! You continue to post what you want just don't be ignorant about it.
You can say what you want but it doesn’t mean your right about it. Which is still the case. I’ll let you have the floor. Go crazy. And if you do keep going, don’t keep me waiting on the entertainment. And I’ll continue to post whatever I want like you said, ignorant or not. Because I can obviously.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can say what you want but it doesn’t mean your right about it. Which is still the case. I’ll let you have the floor. Go crazy. And if you do keep going, don’t keep me waiting on the entertainment. And I’ll continue to post whatever I want like you said, ignorant or not. Because I can obviously.
You just keep wondering what it would be like to be a turtle and I'll leave you be in your own little world :ROFLMAO:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You just keep wondering what it would be like to be a turtle and I'll leave you be in your own little world :ROFLMAO:
Ahh, you didn’t disappoint. You keep entertaining me like I had planned. Like I have you in the palm of my hand. Go for another one. Go on.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ahh, you didn’t disappoint. You keep entertaining me like I had planned. Like I have you in the palm of my hand. Go for another one. Go on.
You just keep making an @$$ of yourself my friend...I've made my point and you just don't seem to get it. I'm out!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You just keep making an @$$ of yourself my friend...I've made my point and you just don't seem to get it. I'm out!
That’s it? Now that was disappointing. Oh well. You tried little buddy. I’m here if you want to try again.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has these behaviors, if it’s normal, or if mine has an actual issue. Mine is updated, also.
When I remote start, then get in and hit the start button, wireless CarPlay will not connect. It will stay in the connection screen until I unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I leave the truck running, and exit the vehicle with the phone to run in the house/store/whatever, when I re-enter the truck, it will not reconnect automatically, and the screen will be frozen on the CarPlay home screen. Same thing- I have to unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I use Spotify, it will not automatically start and pick up on the last song where it left off before. I have to open Spotify on my phone and hit play for it to start playing where it left off before. This is not the behavior if I use the wired connection for Spotify on CarPlay.

As for how quick a BMW connects- I can’t answer that, but, I’ve had two aftermarket radios with wireless CarPlay (one being the first alpine unit to have it), and the connection was almost immediate. Neither of those exhibited the behaviors described above.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has these behaviors, if it’s normal, or if mine has an actual issue. Mine is updated, also.
When I remote start, then get in and hit the start button, wireless CarPlay will not connect. It will stay in the connection screen until I unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I leave the truck running, and exit the vehicle with the phone to run in the house/store/whatever, when I re-enter the truck, it will not reconnect automatically, and the screen will be frozen on the CarPlay home screen. Same thing- I have to unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

If I use Spotify, it will not automatically start and pick up on the last song where it left off before. I have to open Spotify on my phone and hit play for it to start playing where it left off before. This is not the behavior if I use the wired connection for Spotify on CarPlay.

As for how quick a BMW connects- I can’t answer that, but, I’ve had two aftermarket radios with wireless CarPlay (one being the first alpine unit to have it), and the connection was almost immediate. Neither of those exhibited the behaviors described above.
Any third-party interface will never react as quickly as that fully integrated into a new head unit. I'll take the 15 seconds any day versus not having wireless CarPlay at all.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any third-party interface will never react as quickly as that fully integrated into a new head unit. I'll take the 15 seconds any day versus not having wireless CarPlay at all.
I get that, and I’m good with that, but if the other behaviors I described are normal for this particular unit, then it definitely is of no advantage for me to keep it. If others can confirm they aren’t normal behaviors, I’ll keep working at this thing.

rsday75

Reaction score
I can say I had a Pioneer headunit in my old truck with wireless CarPlay. From key on it took about 20 seconds for the unit to boot and my phone to be connected.
Also, there are days with errands and being a kid chauffeur that I am in and out of my truck 6-8 times in an hour. This is where this device shines. Phone in pocket the whole time.
I still plug up for all day road trips when using Nav.

AresSK

Reaction score
I still have issues with a delay when skipping songs. Can anyone remind me what the IP address is to check for firmware updates? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

OK...I did an experiment and figured out your problem...I think ;) When you get in your truck after a remote start or after leaving it running, if you read the screen closely, it says something like "click the screen to connect". I simply touched the screen and it connected or reconnected pretty quickly. I bet you were not reading the screen since it's not very obvious but I will bet that's your problem.

familyman

Reaction score
**Update**

Returned mine with the help of SecurityGuy (he helped a lot in speeding up the process, thank you much!) and the new unit is working flawless after two days. Old unit would freeze up within minutes of connecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
**Update**

Returned mine with the help of SecurityGuy (he helped a lot in speeding up the process, thank you much!) and the new unit is working flawless after two days. Old unit would freeze up within minutes of connecting.
Awesome to hear my friend. Happy that all worked out for you!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Awesome to hear my friend. Happy that all worked out for you!
I emailed michael today about returning mine for a new unit as mine still doesn’t stay connected properly and skips every few seconds if I try to leave my phone in my pocket. May need your help again as well.

Hardlivin'

Reaction score
I'm always a little leery of Chinese products especially if it has access to a phone containing personal info. Has anyone had anything suspicious happen to their phone, credit cards, etc with this dongle?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm always a little leery of Chinese products especially if it has access to a phone containing personal info. Has anyone had anything suspicious happen to their phone, credit cards, etc with this dongle?
Actually, every once and a while, I see my screen turn black and then rolling data appears that looks Chinese with intermingled numbers that look amazingly similar to my social security number and my main credit card number, but I just shrug it off knowing that it's most likely COVID related because my radio isn't wearing a mask..........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/